Ironbutt Riders - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ironbutt Riders

Any Ironbutt members here? If so, who did it on the Versys? I plan on doing another one on the Versys but not till I get a new seat. I have one ordered from Loren at Baldwin, my butt is not Iron enough for the stock seat. I have done it twice before. Once on a Yamaha Venture and once on an FJR1300. I think the V is a great bike for long distance riding.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Thumper; 07-04-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 PM

Hey Ironbutt Riders......Your passion for racking up mega miles has got me thinking..... How do you avoid collecting a bunch of speeding tickets along your routes ??? It seems to me , that could get really expensive !!! I want to try one sometime....Also, what do you do when you hit traffic jams? Thanks .... Let the GOOD TIMES ROLL.......
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:38 AM

Whats an Ironbutt?

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz2012 View Post
Whats an Ironbutt?
Have a look at here

"The 50,000+ members of the Iron Butt Association are dedicated to safe, long-distance motorcycle riding. Although based in the United States, we have thousands of enthusiastic members throughout the globe! One of our more popular slogans is, "The World Is Our Playground."

Includes information about the Iron Butt Rally and other Iron Butt Association long-distance rides, such as the SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours), BunBurner 1500 (1500 miles in 24 or 36 hours), and the 50cc Quest (coast-to-coast in 50 hours). "

I am the opposite of an IronButt, so marvel at their exploits.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:17 AM

Steve1der on the UK forum has just completed an Iron Butt ride, did it in just over 17 hours, on a standard Versys.

his was the 1000 miles in 24 hours, organised to raise funds for the Royal British Legion
http://www.rblr1000.co.uk/

IIRC he was the first one back, actually getting back tot he start point before the minimum accepted time

so the bike can do it, its just down to how nuts you as to whether you can keep riding form the 17+ hours or so.

I think the only changes Steve has made to his Versys is replacing the can with an MTC can. I 'm pretty certain the seat is a standard seat, although he may have added an aftermarket gel pad.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Completing the ride within the allotted time (1000 mils in 24 hours) is really not that hard while staying in the legal speed limits. It all depends on route planning, keeping good documentation, and not wasting time during the fuel stops. A little bad luck like traffic jams and weather can cause you not to make it on time also. There area a lot of different kinds of Ironbutt rides. I stick with the 1000 in 24 hour but others might attempt more challenging rides.

Just wondering if I peaked any interest in other riders joining the Ironbutt Association. It is not for everyone but it is a great way to begin a trip across country by getting far away from your regular stomping grounds quickly to explore uncharted territory.

My wife completed hers on a Buell Blast single cylinder last year.

Informatio can be found at:
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

IBA #23562

Last edited by Thumper; 07-05-2010 at 03:58 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
check the rusty nuts here. http://www.rustynuts.co.nz/
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
recently did 700 miles from ft.worth tx.to st.louis in 12.5 hours and coming back 12 hours stopped for breakfast and late lunch going there and just for lunch on the trip back had a baldwin seat so no sore butt. 1000 miles in 24 hours would be a piece of cake

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Kiwi, are you a member of the "Rusty Nuts"? I have heard of the organization (club, association) Looks like a fun ride and I know New Zealand would offer some great countryside.
If I can every get over there, I would look into trying one of those rides to qualify.
Thanks for the link.

IBA #23562

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
recently did 700 miles from ft.worth tx.to st.louis in 12.5 hours and coming back 12 hours stopped for breakfast and late lunch going there and just for lunch on the trip back had a baldwin seat so no sore butt. 1000 miles in 24 hours would be a piece of cake
It is only a self serving thing, (gives me some bragging rights I guess) but to complete the 1000 in 24 and then turn the paperwork in for verification is satisfying.
I wish I had time to try one of the 7k miles in 7 days. That ride is pure torture and looks like a challenge that few can achieve. Still would be interesting to try on a Versys.

IBA #23562

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 AM

Garage
guess it also depends on where your riding the trip to st.louis is all highway no traffic to speak of and i wasn't exactly doing the speed limit or even real close to it. the versys seemed happiest running between 80 to 90 mph

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-05-2010 at 07:52 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Actually, my 1st IB was from Tampa, Fl to St. Louis. All interstate, but from there I cut across to South Dakota and then up to Glacier Montana. The first 1000 got me across the US to really begin my journey across the US. I had 3 weeks to just put some backroad miles on. We hit 22 states before arriving home. That was 10 years ago and now we only have 3 states we have not ridden to. Alaska, Kansas and Delaware. They are on my bucket list.

IBA #23562

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 AM

I am an IBA member and have done two ss1000s and one BBG1500, one SS1000 was on the Versys the other two were on my Ducati ST4s. The key is not about speed but consistency, not wasting time at food and fuel stops, to just keep moving etc.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM

I have done one SaddleSore 1000 but it was not on a Versys. It was before I owned my Versys. I don't think it would be a problem on a Versys if you have a comfortable seat.

Glenn
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Kiwi, are you a member of the "Rusty Nuts"? I have heard of the organization (club, association) Looks like a fun ride and I know New Zealand would offer some great countryside.
If I can every get over there, I would look into trying one of those rides to qualify.
Thanks for the link.
no not part rusty nuts, mostly do long trips with the wife and she not into chewing up big miles, we have regular coffee stops and then pee stops inbetween for me lol. NZ is a great place to ride, if any of the forum members head this way give me a call if you cruising south island.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM

I just did 950 miles in 2 days, and my butt didn't feel like iron feels more like saddle sore!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

950 is a lot on the stock seat, even in two days. I am hoping Loren's new seat will assist me on this bike. The stock seat has a smaller footprint (or is that butt print) than what I am used to. IMHO, the shape of the seat is more relevant than the amount of foam or padding used. I will let the forum know how it all works out for me after I put some miles on the Baldwin seat. I think Loren said he will begin work on the 19th. If it works out, then another Ironbutt is in the works.

IBA #23562

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

I do Iron Butt rides on my V. I did the Great Lakes ride (2450 miles, 65 hours) on the stock seat. I did have a Alaskan Leather sheep skin on the seat with an REI camp seat cushion under it. I got a Russell day long saddle this year and did the Minnesota 2010 rally (2460 miles in 49 hours) with that. Much more comfortable!

In a week I will do the Top Down ride (Angle Inlet, MN to Key West, FL - 2350 miles est. 46hrs) and then return via Louisiana and do the Mississippi Gold ride (1515 miles - 24hrs).

The key is not speed, it is stop time. A fuel stop takes at least ~15 minutes from slow down to speed up, so I have added an extra 5 gallon tank. Means that I can do the 350 mile max easily and reduce my stops by half.

Here is a recent pic of the trusty steed:

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM

Garage
the baldwin will make a big differance over the stock seat. no way i could have made my trip on the stock seat without stopping every hour or so.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Hey lonerockz,

Does that mean that you shut the engine off only for refueling and pee stops?
How long (in hours) is that usually?

I just did a 500 X 2 km leisure ride and every 2 or so hours I had the need to stop to give the bike a break. (And my butt of course)
Am I babying it? At high speeds (empty roads/no cops) and +30℃ it gets quite hot.

This is my first longish stint on the Versys and I can live with the stock seat + sheepskin pad but foot-peg lowers are a serious consideration.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode