dealer doesn't want my motorcycles. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By ray h
  • 3 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

dealer doesn't want my motorcycles.

So the other day I went to the dealer to buy an oil filter (I don't know why I buy my filters from the dealer either).
Anyway, I buy from them when I can and when I can afford it because I like to support locals. Anyway I struck up a conversation about the new V (and a 2014 KLR they have). I asked what they would give me on my 2009 Versys and my 2004 BMW Rockster. Basicly they don't even want the Rockster, no way no how. For two reasons, it's a BMW and they don't service them so they don't sell them, and it's not mainstream in this area. I get those points. So then I asked about a trade on my 09 Versys. They really didn't want it either. The reason being, there is very little call for this type of motorcycle in this area. He said the new Versys' they get usually sit for ever or until a new article comes out praising them and my gen1 is two generations back now.
Everyone around here either wants a crotch rocket or a cruiser. I have to agree with them, I never see any other standard or adventure type bikes, occasionally I'll see a BMW GS but they are just passing through.
If I see something unusual sitting in a parking lot I've got to stop and look at it, it could be a Guzzi or an adventure bike or anything else unusual but it seems most people around here would sooner ohhh and ahhh over how much chrome that HD has or how long the aftermarket swingarm on that Busa is.
I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go around, just thought it was a strange conversation I had with the dealer.

I'll give the dealer's name and address AND $20 to anyone and everyone who is willing to go into that dealer, nose around a little and then tell the salesman "I wish you guys had a BMW Rockster for sale".
invader and ATYC like this.

Last edited by ray h; 11-01-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 PM

It's now also the end of the riding season... This is when they start taking snowmobiles in on trades.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
So the other day I went to the dealer to buy an oil filter (I don't know why I buy my filters from the dealer either).
Anyway, I buy from them when I can and when I can afford it because I like to support locals. Anyway I struck up a conversation about the new V (and a 2014 KLR they have). I asked what they would give me on my 2009 Versys and my 2004 BMW Rockster. Basicly they don't even want the Rockster, no way no how. For two reasons, it's a BMW and they don't service them so they don't sell them, and it's not mainstream in this area. I get those points. So then I asked about a trade on my 09 Versys. They really didn't want it either. The reason being, there is very little call for this type of motorcycle in this area. He said the new Versys' they get usually sit for ever or until a new article comes out praising them and my gen1 is two generations back now.
Everyone around here either wants a crotch rocket or a cruiser. I have to agree with them, I never see any other standard or adventure type bikes, occasionally I'll see a BMW GS but they are just passing through.
If I see something unusual sitting in a parking lot I've got to stop and look at it, it could be a Guzzi or an adventure bike or anything else unusual but it seems most people around here would sooner ohhh and ahhh over how much chrome that HD has or how long the aftermarket swingarm on that Busa is.
I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go around, just thought it was a strange conversation I had with the dealer.

I'll give the dealer's name and address AND $20 to anyone and everyone who is willing to go into that dealer, nose around a little and then tell the salesman "I wish you guys had a BMW Rockster for sale".
lol Good one!
I traded my 2010 in excellent condition back in to the dealer I bought it from. He gave me $4,800.00 US. I was very lucky and they said they are in demand. I got a Honda P500 SxS and I love it! Totally different ball game for sure. Good luck.... I think the area you live in makes a huge difference on demand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:53 PM

Garage
Yeah the dealer I bought my bike (brand new) from wasn't interested when I asked about trade in on another brand new bike. Versys don't sell well at least not until the 2015. It's all crotch rockets, HD or ADV bikes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:15 PM

Dealers won't give squat for any used bikes. If you have the most well kept perfect bike with loads of nice ultimate options, they will give you about 80% of wholesale. It's the timing that kills new bike buyers. Sell it on Craigslist: it will go fast for the right price. And you have 2 bikes to tide your timing from one to the next.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM

The motorcycle market is flooded. Dealers have show rooms full of motorcycles.

Brand new 2014 Versys have been selling here for months at $5,000 out the door, and they still have inventory.

I recently bought a brand new leftover 2014 Yamaha FZ1 for $6,034.

Remember when personal watercraft were the hot sellers?
In 1995, there were 200,000 personal watercraft sold in the U.S. - compared to 40,000 last year.

Right now, it's all about ATV's, and especially UTV's.

Sales trends change.

In another month or two, it will be some of the best time to buy a good used motorcycle, for cheap.
Add to your inventory. You know you want to.

:-)

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 11-02-2015 at 07:51 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Bob's BMW in Jessup, Md. may be interested in your BMW.

Used Motorcycle Trade In Maryland | Bobs BMW Motorcycle Dealership

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
The motorcycle market is flooded. Dealers have show rooms full of motorcycles.

Brand new 2014 Versys have been selling here for months at $5,000 out the door, and they still have inventory.

I recently bought a brand new leftover 2014 Yamaha FZ1 for $6,034.

Remember when personal watercraft were the hot sellers?
In 1995, there were 200,000 personal watercraft sold in the U.S. - compared to 40,000 last year.

Right now, it's all about ATV's, and especially UTV's.

Sales trends change.

In another month or two, it will be some of the best time to buy a good used motorcycle, for cheap.
Add to your inventory. You know you want to.

:-)
This is it really....I bought a new Versys 14 a few months ago for $5000 and change out the door....it was a leftover with 1 mile on it. At the time I get ready to sell it I am thinking I will be lucky to get 3k out of it. Really who would spend more if a brand spanking new one is only $2000 more?

BMW I do understand, one reason I walked away from the F800 is we have one dealer in town....the next one is 4 hours away. Loved the bike...dealer network....not so much. If something blows I want the Japanese dealer network.

Also despite what the big O' says the economy is not the best....people are hurting...still are...it is just the new norm.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:58 AM

Well that's a bummer. I just picked up a used 2005 R1200RT 5 weeks ago. I would have at least given the rockster a look or two...

Edit: Just got an email from Powersports East in Bear Delaware. They are advertising that they want your trade ins. Give them a call and see if you can make a deal...
(302) 322-4120
620 Pulaski Hwy | Bear, DE 19701

Last edited by Stud Muffin; 11-04-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode