Riding two up - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Riding two up

Was talking with CamBkm today and he told me that 90% of the time he rides with his wife. Now I've been married to the same woman for 36 years now and I love her to death but I haven't been able to get her on any of my street bikes more than 3 or 4 times through our marriage.
Am I cursed or blessed, I'm not a wild man on the street but when I raced, It was another story. What about you guys?
I would love to share some of my rides with my wife but..........
CamBkm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Was talking with CamBkm today and he told me that 90% of the time he rides with his wife. Now I've been married to the same woman for 36 years now and I love her to death but I haven't been able to get her on any of my street bikes more than 3 or 4 times through our marriage.
Am I cursed or blessed, I'm not a wild man on the street but when I raced, It was another story. What about you guys?
I would love to share some of my rides with my wife but..........

I'm in the same situation. My wife doesn't really like riding.
I went 20 years without riding so my wife didn't even know I rode most of my youth until one day about 10 years ago I bought a motorcycle and informed her that it's time to get back in the saddle.
Anyway, I bought a cruiser and she went with me a few times but didn't show a great deal of interest. We then got her endorsement, I got rid of the cruiser and bought two dual-sport bikes because I felt the best place for her to learn is in the dirt. We took the bikes out a few times, she crashed a couple of times (on the dirt), no big deal, didn't hurt anything except her pride. I told her crashing on the dirt is part of learning to ride (hell, I can't begin to count the number of crashes I had growing up riding dirt and mud) but I don't think she ever warmed up to it. Her motorcycle sat for two years with only me jumping on it every so often. I finally told her if she wasn't going to ride it, it was taking up too much room in the garage. She will get on the back of mine every once in awhile (three short rides this year). I've invited her to ride with me a few times but mostly she declines. Riding is something I do now and she doesn't, like yard sales and craft shows for her.
If you're both OK with not riding together, then I don't see it as a bad thing. Sure, I wish my wife was into it but it's certainly not a deal breaker and actually at times I'm glad for the alone time.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 PM

Garage
My girl hated that i bought a bike. She wouldn't ride with me.she had a bad experience on a scooter in Hong Kong when she was younger. I became friends with a guy and his wife from a motorcycle meet-up so when my girl came back from Puerto Rico we were always going out to eat or visiting each others home. The 2 girls hit it off and the other lady enjoyed going on our rides so on a New Years morning we were going for a ride and my girl tells me as I'm getting ready that she wants to go....She had a blast and loves riding now...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 10-26-2015, 07:44 PM

I've had one passenger on my V. With the tall height of the passenger seat and my short legs, it proved quite a challenge. Manageable, but not pleasant.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelollie View Post
I've had one passenger on my V. With the tall height of the passenger seat and my short legs, it proved quite a challenge. Manageable, but not pleasant.
Standard Lowering Kit for Kawasaki Versys

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 10-26-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelollie View Post
Standard Lowering Kit for Kawasaki Versys
I've been considering it heavily. Only problem is that I have to buy the kickstand, lowered pegs, etc. It's cheaper to tough it out an remain confident. When I have the spare money, I just might invest.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Garage
3 times I had a passenger on the V650 1st time was awful, my 6'2' 120kg son. 2nd time was a mate who ran out of fuel he is a lot lighter and shorter than my son it was ok. 3rd time was a little 50kg lady, hardly knew she was there. So I don't reccomend carrying a passenger unless they are light.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 AM

My wife loves to ride on back, she has been riding longer than I have (about 40 years) but now she likes to ride on back. She does have her own bike but would rather ride on back. With the intercom it is nice to.

An added plus is after a long ride the back of the seat is just a little....well not as comfortable as the front.....so that means a good ass massage is in order after every ride....WIN - WIN.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 AM

My wife admittedly does not like the passenger area of the Versys. Oddly her favorite bike has been the Uly, I suppose because it had that awesome paddle that folded down to use as a pack board, and up to use as a back rest.. However I kinda always wanted her riding with me on there anyway so I could have someone to help push it home ..L

I have run the gauntlet with big bikes over the years, In engine size anyway, but never a physically large bike. The wife and I were talking, and feel like something large like a Gold Wing, a Big BMW, or Even a Harley is on our Future for those long two up rides.. I'll Keep the Versys though.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
My wife admittedly does not like the passenger area of the Versys. Oddly her favorite bike has been the Uly, I suppose because it had that awesome paddle that folded down to use as a pack board, and up to use as a back rest.. However I kinda always wanted her riding with me on there anyway so I could have someone to help push it home ..L

I have run the gauntlet with big bikes over the years, In engine size anyway, but never a physically large bike. The wife and I were talking, and feel like something large like a Gold Wing, a Big BMW, or Even a Harley is on our Future for those long two up rides.. I'll Keep the Versys though.
I am thinking the same thing....we really enjoy our rides together, and if she thinks we are going she will look forward to it. We have yet to be able to take an overnight trip, It will not be many years before we are child free and have even started making plans to take the pup with us on rides.

I am also looking at other bikes....I am at the point that there are more years behind me than in front so I am down sizing my cars...and I am not sure if I will keep the Versys or not....right now leaning to not as I am just not in love with the bike. We like the road less traveled, so I am looking to a more ADV dirty type bike. I have looked at the Tiger xcx and 800GS, and really want to see the AT, I want japanese dealer network and track record. Time will tell where I will go.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
Old 10-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
I am thinking the same thing....we really enjoy our rides together, and if she thinks we are going she will look forward to it. We have yet to be able to take an overnight trip, It will not be many years before we are child free and have even started making plans to take the pup with us on rides.

I am also looking at other bikes....I am at the point that there are more years behind me than in front so I am down sizing my cars...and I am not sure if I will keep the Versys or not....right now leaning to not as I am just not in love with the bike. We like the road less traveled, so I am looking to a more ADV dirty type bike. I have looked at the Tiger xcx and 800GS, and really want to see the AT, I want japanese dealer network and track record. Time will tell where I will go.
Tiger 800xc was on my short list about a year ago, However I could never find one that I felt was an acceptable deal. I would however love the older Tiger 1050.. Just something about that sweet triple sound! But seating wise, it's another Versys. Not a lot of two-up room. I have come to really like the Versys for what I bought it for.. Mostly commuting and some awesome two lane country roads where I live. I knew when I bought it I would want something larger to supplement it for riding two up very far. My Nissan is paid off in 6 months, I will look seriously then.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:10 AM

my wife will never ride on the back of the Versys, she probably will ride with me occasionally if I can find a good deal on a used Vulcan 650 in about 2 years when she is done school and our finances level off.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM

Garage
My ultimate touring bike is the GTR 1400
Old 10-27-2015, 09:55 AM

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Great stories guys, I don't know for sure but with my wife it might be a hair thing, don't wanna mess up that hair. She's a girly girl and I like that.
ray h - me and my wife's relationship is very similar, we like some things together and have other interests apart so I guess the riding thing with us is apart but you are right, I kinda like my alone time on the V too.

She put up with a lot when I was racing every weekend, even in the winter I could find some arenacrosses to race.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:15 AM

I've been a rider for 37 years...married for 26. Wife never really wanted to ride along. We've done quick trips to grab a bite or such but no long trips.

I ride solo or with friends. Riding is just not her style, she does have a 50cc Honda Metro scooter she enjoys around the neighborhood...
Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Great stories guys, I don't know for sure but with my wife it might be a hair thing, don't wanna mess up that hair. She's a girly girl and I like that.
ray h - me and my wife's relationship is very similar, we like some things together and have other interests apart so I guess the riding thing with us is apart but you are right, I kinda like my alone time on the V too.

She put up with a lot when I was racing every weekend, even in the winter I could find some arenacrosses to race.
Nothing wrong with this line of thinking at all..

My wife enjoys our ride times together, Other times I don't ask, I simply go alone.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:21 AM

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in