New to street riding. Is Versys the one? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New to street riding. Is Versys the one?

Not new to riding, but new to street riding. (always had my own off road and have spent plenty of time in the back seat on the street)
Yes, I am enrolled in a safety class.
Is this the bike for me? I like the posture and I really like the reviews. I just don't want to get "too much" bike for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Probably one of the best street bikes for somebody coming off a dirtbike, if you ask me. It's tall, 33.1" seat height, very light and maneuverable, and it has very forgiving brakes and throttle. You're not going to do a 70MPH wheelie by accident and hard stops won't have your rear wheel up over your head like a sportbike would.

It's cheap on insurance (mine is $236/year full coverage), cheap to buy, gets insanely good gas mileage, and is just a blast to ride. Figure $10 for a tank of gas and $10 for lunch and you've got a $20 Saturday afternoon in the fresh air.

I hope you get one. I'm glad I did.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:45 PM
DBL

@cetzel What insurance company do you use? I paid $550 for a year of full coverage with Dairyland. Only paid $200 for same coverage on my '08 DR650 before trading it in for my '10 Versys. I have no claims and am well over 25 so not sure why mine is so high unless they think the Versys is a sport bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
Probably one of the best street bikes for somebody coming off a dirtbike, if you ask me. It's tall, 33.1" seat height, very light and maneuverable, and it has very forgiving brakes and throttle. You're not going to do a 70MPH wheelie by accident and hard stops won't have your rear wheel up over your head like a sportbike would.

It's cheap on insurance (mine is $236/year full coverage), cheap to buy, gets insanely good gas mileage, and is just a blast to ride. Figure $10 for a tank of gas and $10 for lunch and you've got a $20 Saturday afternoon in the fresh air.

I hope you get one. I'm glad I did.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL View Post
I have no claims and am well over 25 so not sure why mine is so high unless they think the Versys is a sport bike.
Mine is $275/year full coverage @ Progressive. Progressive has the Versys classified as a Sport Bike in their system. I asked.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenca View Post
Is this the bike for me?
If your good on dirt, then I would say Yes. Its a sporty bike but not screamin demon fast by any means.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Nationwide. I'm 36 with no accidents or tickets in last 5 years and MSF discount.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 PM

You should be fine with Versys as a 1st bike. 650R / ER6N is a little lower, if you're shorter in stature, might be easier to reach the ground. Truth be told -- if your goals aren't to ride at highly illegal speeds, the 650 motor puts out all the power you'd ever need on the street. This coming from an ex-ZX10R guy ;-)

BTW I'm paying $250/yr with State Farm, 25/50/50 with Comp and Collision for my Versys. My record is less than stellar too.....

2011 Z1000 (FTW!)
2009 Versys (sold)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The only bike that is similar in my research is the BMW F650 which is not in the same price range. I am really leaning toward this bike !

I also understand that first year street DL will put me at a high insurance rate. California does not do anything cheap. I surely won't be filling that tank for $10 either, though I can take a nice ride for that $10.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 PM

PERFECT STREETBIKE "BIKE" Magazine

Quote:
Not new to riding, but new to street riding. (always had my own off road and have spent plenty of time in the back seat on the street)
Yes, I am enrolled in a safety class.
Is this the bike for me? I like the posture and I really like the reviews. I just don't want to get "too much" bike for me.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

If the price negotiation goes as we hope and the bike fits me well, I should be picking up my new ride in the morning. Unfortunately, I will have to have my husband ride it home until I can finish my street course.
(we also have a concours)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
and hope you get the bike.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 PM

The V is my first real street bike and I think it's perfect!

On a side note I pay $219 a year with State Farm full coverage 100/200/200 and a $250 deductible.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard & good luck with your deal!!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 AM

Get The Versys, you won't be sorry! I had my heart set on the KLR 650 but after much research and debate (and the thoroughly helpful folks on here) I went for the Versys and am very pleased.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

DONE! She is all mine! Thanks for the input. We traveled quite a ways on some windy rodes to get it so my hubby rode it home. But I look forward to feeling comfortable enough to enjoy our local roads at the end of the month. My safety class is in 2 weeks.
Thanks!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

So what did hubby think of the ride??

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
DONE! She is all mine!
Great feeling aint it!!

Congrats
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
congrats, my wife rides my V somtimes and she not that experinced but says it easy to ride
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:32 AM

Garage
Some things to think about ...

to the group - there are several active females on the group - Wicked-Kitty and BuffAmazon

A member of the group - Speedy sells some excellent accessories for the Versys

Depending on your in-seam length you may be interested in:
Standard Lowering Kit
Flatfoot for Lowering Kit

or if tall:
Lowering Foot Pegs Blocks
Standard Flatfoot

and irrespective of leg length:
Mirror Extenders

Big Aussie

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I am really happy about the purchase. I am just over 5'7" so with boots on this is very comfy for me, especially as an off road rider. The bike felt very natural, better than I expected to ever find on a street bike.
I promised myself I would not venture far until my safety class is finished, but I am having a hard time seeing it sitting in the driveway! Hubby took me out on it last night to watch some fireworks. How did he like it? He has had a Concours for 5 yrs that he praises regularly and he really enjoyed the Versys. It passed through his mind a couple of times to go buy another. (I hope he doesn't because he needs to carry my purse and other accessories!)
Oh- btw, this was my b-day gift a few days early but as it turned out my real birthday is the day it was first registered last year. I like to think of it as a sign that it was meant to be my bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode