mikes shield (dont buy) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
mikes shield (dont buy)

Well I finally got my mike's shield, Ok I placed the order 4/13/10, only took just over 2 months, then I get it and its all beat up, I think he sent me the demo shield that was going around, all scuffed up and there were even a couple of splats on there, and it was wrapped in a target bag.....on this guys webpage it says delivery in 7 to 10 days (bull****!), I'm so FUC**NG tired of dealing with this guy over a 90 dollar windshield & quite frankly I'm too busy to pursue legal matters. Well I just wanted the peolple on this site to know what a crock this guy is, its not exagerated, just the truth. Hey maybe the majority of his orders are ok, but if your willing to let just one order go out that way, that to me shows lack of integretiy.

Versys Blue 2009
ZX6R 2007 (sold)
CBR f4i 2006 (sold)
Yamaha V-Star 650 2003 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I had a run in with procycle.com over an order that they sent me. They sent me the wrong parts and wouldn't make it right. I let everyone know over on ThumperTalk. The way i see it is if you can't get people a good cheap on time product you shouldn't even sell it.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
naz

90 $ ?? i bought my kappa shield http://www.kappamoto.com/per-la-tua-...+(06+%3E+09)*/
for 55 euros and the shop i bought it installed it for free...

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 AM

I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

When I ordered my Mike's Touring shield, it also took a while to arrive, about 3 weeks from the day of order. It seems he is a busy guy and is away a lot.

But when the shield arrived, it was scratch free, wrapped in foam and in a properly sized box.
I don't know why you would receive a damaged shield in bad packaging.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

When I ordered my Mike's Touring shield, it also took a while to arrive, about 3 weeks from the day of order. It seems he is a busy guy and is away a lot.

But when the shield arrived, it was scratch free, wrapped in foam and in a properly sized box.
I don't know why you would receive a damaged shield in bad packaging.
Yeah, I didn't even care that it took 2 months, but when it came in that condition, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Versys Blue 2009
ZX6R 2007 (sold)
CBR f4i 2006 (sold)
Yamaha V-Star 650 2003 (sold)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM

I have 2 of them.............no problems. Good quality great to deal with for me.

'15 DL1000
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 PM

I recently got a MikeShield windscreen for my 09 V. I too waited six weeks or so, but it came well packaged, scratch free, and works great. Since then, I got a CalSci windscreen for my 2010 V. I like it even more. And they are in stock and ship out as soon as you order.

The MikeShield windscreen gives off a fair amount of turbulence around 70mph. The CalSci screen has almost no turbulence up to 80 mph (I didn't go any faster). I think the MikeShield turbulence is coming from the "laminar lip" he now adds to the GT shield. I'm very pleased with the CalSci screen. As soon as I tried it on the 10 V, I ordered one for the 09 V.

One note: If you're using handguards, you'll have to grind cutouts to keep the shield from hitting the handguards. I used a Dremel tool with sanding tube...mark and cut a little, then mark and cut a little, etc, etc. Make sure you order the proper size. They can come very tall. CalSci has guidelines for choosing the right screen height...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 PM

I found Mike to be straight up and delivered a quality product in a timely fashion. And very well packaged.

I think there may be more to this story than we are reading here. Although I could be wrong and if that is the case it really is too bad.

Have a Great day!

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I recently got a MikeShield windscreen for my 09 V. I too waited six weeks or so, but it came well packaged, scratch free, and works great. Since then, I got a CalSci windscreen for my 2010 V. I like it even more. And they are in stock and ship out as soon as you order.

The MikeShield windscreen gives off a fair amount of turbulence around 70mph. The CalSci screen has almost no turbulence up to 80 mph (I didn't go any faster). I think the MikeShield turbulence is coming from the "laminar lip" he now adds to the GT shield. I'm very pleased with the CalSci screen. As soon as I tried it on the 10 V, I ordered one for the 09 V.

One note: If you're using handguards, you'll have to grind cutouts to keep the shield from hitting the handguards. I used a Dremel tool with sanding tube...mark and cut a little, then mark and cut a little, etc, etc. Make sure you order the proper size. They can come very tall. CalSci has guidelines for choosing the right screen height...

I was pleased also withs Mikes shield but would be interested in the CalSci if it is quieter at 70mph. Please let us know Scotty, I also have an 09.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Kinda harsh....

I too had my order a bit late but the condition was perfect. I am very satisfied with the shield. If it were my place to do so, I would just contact him straight away. I found his interactions to be in keeping with what he posts other places on this forum. He is a busy dude and this is a side project.

I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can make a product in their garage and distribute it at all. Telling others not to buy, certainly won't help anyone but the big parts companies..... Even if its harder, it is worth it IMHO.

my .02
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 AM

I have ordered 3 shields from Mike and I had no problem with them at all. Waited about 3 weeks but they arrived in perfect condition, well packed and no scratches. I ordered mine without holes so I could position it the way I wanted it on the bike. I don't know what happened with your order but it's hard to believe that he won't work with you.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
90 $ ?? i bought my kappa shield http://www.kappamoto.com/per-la-tua-...+(06+%3E+09)*/
for 55 euros and the shop i bought it installed it for free...
How is your experience with the Kappa shield out of interest. I already have Kappa top box and panniers and would be interested in getting the shield too if works well?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM

I ordered his sport shield on May 1st and just received it July 2nd. I wasn't too concerned about the time and really don't mind the stock shield but liked the looks of the tinted sport shield and figured for $45 what the heck. He claimed he shipped it once and it was lost by the shipping store, UPS never received it. So I finally received it and it was packaged poorly but was scratch free. The problem is the holes didn't align with the windshield bracket holes so when I tightened the bolts down the shield cracked, so I give up. It's a shame to because the shield looked really good but I never even got a chance to try it. I would suggest if you do buy one to not be in a hurry and to drill your own holes.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Hey - being a small business owner myself I ordered from Mike without a problem, he even went so far as to rush it to me for a trip - also having worked at UPS in the past I KNOW how packages are treated, how some bust open to be repacked roughly.

- was the box beat up that it came in? Torn, crumpled - retaped?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 PM

David, I need to know which email address you used to order the shield because I dont have an order from the address in your personal profile. Also in your PM you mentiond the shield had bug splatters on it? Are you sure the shield was from me? Were you on the list to try the demo? Is it perhaps the demo shield? Are you sure the "bug spaltters" are not masking take residue? They all have that,it comes right off with car wax. Would you have prefered a Wal Mart bag? Im confiused about your issue with the recycling of a Target shopping bag to ship the shield in. Please email me some pics of the issues and if they are as you said I will paypal you the postage to return it to me and ship you another one ASAP. Let me know what you want to do.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
David, I need to know which email address you used to order the shield because I dont have an order from the address in your personal profile. Also in your PM you mentiond the shield had bug splatters on it? Are you sure the shield was from me? Were you on the list to try the demo? Is it perhaps the demo shield? Are you sure the "bug spaltters" are not masking take residue? They all have that,it comes right off with car wax. Would you have prefered a Wal Mart bag? Im confiused about your issue with the recycling of a Target shopping bag to ship the shield in. Please email me some pics of the issues and if they are as you said I will paypal you the postage to return it to me and ship you another one ASAP. Let me know what you want to do.

Yep, that's the kind of guy I've dealt with in the past and will deal with in the future.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 AM

It looks to me that there was just a mix up or miscommunication somewhere.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM

I just wanted to add, some of you are worried about me closing the store and your pending orders. Closing the store only means I am not taking orders until fall. All pending orders will be filled this week or next. Thanks for all your orders by the way.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
It looks to me that there was just a mix up or miscommunication somewhere.
Well there was a huge delay in filling orders so it is my fault but unfortunately there was nothing I could do about it at the time. One thing that contributed to the delay was the UPS store by my house somehow misplaced 6 orders (Davidís was one of them and they never made it on a truck) and they have yet to turn up. That was 6 windshields I had to build again. It was a mess but right now I am back on track to getting these orders filled by next week.

Sadly the last 12 orders were a loss profit wise but that is how it goes sometimes. I still feel that my GT Shield for the Versys is one of the best out there and priced well as far as being a good value. All the shields I have seen are pretty much a joke in regards to wind protection compared to the GT.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
The problem is the holes didn't align with the windshield bracket holes so when I tightened the bolts down the shield cracked, so I give up. It's a shame to because the shield looked really good but I never even got a chance to try it. I would suggest if you do buy one to not be in a hurry and to drill your own holes.
Email me your address and I will send another one. Without holes if you like. Thanks.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode