What is your most bizarre, funny, creepy(?) rider story? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What is your most bizarre, funny, creepy(?) rider story?

I saw this on another forum and was pissing my pants reading through all the messages. For example, there was this story about a diner stop in west Virginia that made me wonder if the movie "Wrong turn", where a group of teenager gets tracked by a gang of inbred mutants, is that far from reality. Although I have a laughable 500 miles lifetime rider experience with my 1st bike (a 2010 V, of course), I got a few incidents that were unusual.

So I’ll go first:

I was coming in a long curve and was trying to practice my outside-inside-outside cornering (that’s right, I did learn something at the rider’s school…) when I noticed a Harley biker coming in the opposite direction. Due to the curve layout, he did not see me right away. So when he finally noticed me, he had sort of a “reflex” move to put his left hand on his thigh, which is, as I understand it, their way of saying f*** you to all the non-HD riders out there. He was a young guy by Harley standard, maybe late 30’s, and his bike was either brand new or very close to. So as he impulsively tried to put his hand on his thigh, in a curve, the little-too-slick-for-my-own-good pirate started to fishtail and he eventually had to apply the brakes hard (although he was not going fast at all). I saw him coming to a close stop and then blasting away in my mirror. I really felt sorry for the guy. Not that he came close to crash, but that all they seems to get out of their bike is the feedback they try to get from others by putting on their crap face everywhere they go. They really look miserable on their glorified and overpriced air compressors. Anyway, that’s it. There is this other “road rage” incident involving a cabby, but that’s boring (they are on road rage mode every time anyway.)

So what’s your story?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:58 AM

I got stopped on a gravel road by a crazy guy that was pissed off because i had a camera on my helmet. I have it on vid:

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I got stopped on a gravel road by a crazy guy that was pissed off because i had a camera on my helmet. I have it on vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClTDUmgE4Zo
Too funny! What did he think you were spying on him or something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Versys
97 Suzuki DR350
Pro Grip tank protector
Wee Strom hand guards
Nelson Riggs Soft Bags
Xelement Black mini tank bag
Xelement Silver ignitor Tri-Tex Fabric and Mesh Jacket with armor
Xelement Advanced silver and black Fabric Pants with level 3 armor
12V Powerlet
Nuvi 550 GPS
Yoshimura TRC slip on (stainless)

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
with no sound on your vid, what did jackass say?
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:03 PM

Yeah Jake, seems like maybe he thought you were a P.I. or something as it seems like he was already wanting to confront you before he could probably tell you had the helmet cam.

One time a buddy and I were out hunting and as we were driving to one of our set-up points we came upon a car in the middle of the gamelands and this woman jumps out of the passenger seat and runs around and ducks down.....we figured she thought it was hubby ready to unload on them.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 03:21 PM
DBL

Well, it didn't happen while on a bike but was when I was using the boat ramp in Jonestown, TX on Lake Travis. The main ramp was not useable because the lake level was really low so the park ranger said we could use the dirt area if our truck would not get stuck, so we did. Hours later when we were ready to put the boat back on the trailer, these drunk rednecks were right in the way of the "ramp" trying to fish. It was obvious that this was where the temporary boat ramp was and they had plenty of room to fish somewhere else, but these bozos insisted that it was their right to be there in the way. So, I told my friend to be ready for anything and I proceeded to back my empty trailer down the "ramp" to get my boat and got within about 10 feet of this guy when he walked over to my window and started yelling at me to go somewhere else. I continued on down the ramp and when I got out to deal with my boat, he continued to get in my face but I kept ignoring him. My friend got out on the passenger side and is a pretty big guy and asked, "Hey, do we have a problem?". That's when the idiot backed down and left us alone. The guy looked homeless and maybe he was but there were other people using the same ramp but he didn't mess with them so who knows why he picked me? Some people.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm new on the roads so I haven't had much happen yet - but I saw a big guy on a Yamaha crotch rocket slowly just lay down his motorcycle in front of me while stopped at a red light. It seemed there was no reason for the lack of balance - he just slowly laid it down, and then had to awkwardly get it back up in time for the green light, grunting and moaning.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:16 PM

My view of Harley's are like Ghandi's view of Jesus: both are great, but their followers can be unbearable.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You shoulda interpreted that guy's actions as threatening, and given him a self-defense beatdown, accordingly.

"Here, on the streets, in competition.... A man confronts you -- he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy!"

-John Kreese

2011 Z1000 (FTW!)
2009 Versys (sold)
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM

A few weeks ago on my Saturday morning ride I saw a buzzard just standing in the middle of the road. Well as I got closer, he was not moving. I honked the horn about 50 feet out to give him the hint. Well the cheap Kawasaki horn spooked him and his 10 buddies feeding on the caucus just out of sight. Suddenly I was confronted with the very real possibility of colliding with 11 large, smelly, and full buzzards. Later I thought of the irony of being killed by one buzzard only to be eaten by one of his buddies.

To God be the glory.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM

I have a good friend who used to ride a custom Volusia with huge apes. He cam down for a visit from CO to TX. We decided to haul ass across west Texas for the day and find some roads to explore. I was riding my Sportster with my apes and custom wheels.

We are large people and tend to scare some folk for some reason.

Anyways we were between Christoval and El Dorado (FLDS Live there now) and decided to race. So we get up to about 110 and he waves it off and pulls over. He said "dude I went so fast I broke my speedo". We found the nearest 1960's vintage picnic area that was covered and proceeded to tear into the bike to see if we could fix it. The table area was elevated but it was shady so we bumped and lifted the bike up there cause TX gets reaaaaaaaal hot in the summer.

As we're wrenching this car pulls up with a few Brits in it. The ask if we are "real american bikers" and we said.... ummm sure. They ask us questions about our Harleys. I laugh cause they think his is too. They snap pictures and get all excited about us.

I then tell them to back up cause we have to jump the bike off the slab.

Cameras come out and the homie fires up the bike revs the **** out of it and launches off the slab. He had to clear a parking stone. Anyways, he fly about 10 feet before hitting the ground. Lands it fuggin sweet.

The tourists are estatic. They snapped pics and posed with us and said that was the best thing they saw in the US!

It was surreal.

We cruised on down the road and found a restaurant that served "chiken" burritos and enjoyed the rest of our day.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdg View Post
My view of Harley's are like Ghandi's view of Jesus: both are great, but their followers can be unbearable.
Beautifully said, followers can be unbearable.

I don't have any incident to share as I make sure I don't get in anybody way or they don't get in my way. I ride to enjoy the day.What we get here is usually people wanting to take snap shorts with our bikes, so we step aside and watch the photo session.

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
with no sound on your vid, what did jackass say?
I took out the sound because of legal reasons, but the first thing out of his mouth was "who do you work for and why are you video taping?" and i replied with "what the f**K does it matter" then the rest of the conversation is why i edited out the audio. When i took off my helmet was right after he made a comment of "i'm just going to half to call the cops on you" so i told him i would wait.........I wanted to give him a beat down to remember, but i was so freaked out that i didn't know what to do, i just sat there talking ****. Eventualy he was like "ok well i just wanted to know"
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Coming home down a rural Minnesota 2-lane road late one night in the early 80's, I saw a road sign ahead reflecting my headlight in a strange way. Slowed down and got close to it and noticed it was vibrating like crazy (like in a heavy wind). Only thing was, it wasn't windy at all that night. No cars I could see in any direction either. REALLY creeped me out - was riding my Suzuki GS1000S and hauled ass out of there. To this day can't figure that one out...

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM

OMG, the best venting thread and stories I have heard in a while! I cannot even come
close to topping any of these, but I have to say something(naturally!)

I was totally clueless(don't say it) about the Harley diss! I ride with my hand on my leg when I am "cruising". Guess who I see a lot of in Redneckland, HD-rich MO. Have I been building a hit list?

My Album:
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I took out the sound because of legal reasons, but the first thing out of his mouth was "who do you work for and why are you video taping?" and i replied with "what the f**K does it matter" then the rest of the conversation is why i edited out the audio. When i took off my helmet was right after he made a comment of "i'm just going to half to call the cops on you" so i told him i would wait.........I wanted to give him a beat down to remember, but i was so freaked out that i didn't know what to do, i just sat there talking ****. Eventualy he was like "ok well i just wanted to know"
That vid was PRICELESS, with/without sound. I think I liked it even better without listening to the Redneck Jackass!

My Album:
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I would get a bit nervous if jackass started playing dueling banjo's
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Re:Jackass

To me, it looks like Jackass was not supposed to be there with chikita in the 2nd car. If you would have drive by 10 minutes later, you might have add a very different kind of clip...like just a head shot in the truck...

The "person of interest" here is not this guy, but his wife. I bet you that she ain't drivinnn no small black sedan!

Funny
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Well, I don't know how funny this is but,,,,

I was in North Dakota on a long ride in a small one horse town. Stopped for gas and a sammy. At the checkout a 20 something kid was ahead of me buying a 3-pack of condoms. The clerk (who was female mid forties very pretty) rang it up and handed him his change and says, "Do you need any help with them tonight?

Kid started stammering turned all red and ran out the door.

Me next. She rang up my sammy and chips and a pint of Captain Morgan spiced rum. As she handed me my change she started to say something. At this time I interrupted her and said. "No maam. I don't need any help with my rum thank you." She started laughing, I started laughing we bonded.

Turns out the kid who bought the condom's? She used to babysit him when he was a toddler and she was just yanking his chain. She said she was good friends with his mother.

Maybe it's just me-I thought it was funny.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Strangest thing I've had happen is some Versys riding dude from Wisconsin knocking on my door wanting to go on a ride through the wilds of Montana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode