Grinning - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Grinning

I have to say, my opinions of this bike have done a complete 180.
At 190 miles, I was not happy to say the least, the vibes, suspension, etc.. Just didn't give me a feel good. Boy how things change with an additional 800 miles and some tweaking!
Soften the suspension a few notches, the vibes have gotten steadily better.. the motor has continued to break in and run better and smoother. I have to say I am Tickled Pink that I listened to some on here and decided to keep it around! Looking at doing a BRP ride next weekend, for once i'm not a nervous wreck worrying about odd noises or an unreliable machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 AM

Good news. Patience can indeed be a virtue.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Good news. Patience can indeed be a virtue.
+1

2015 Versys 1000LT

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:44 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
see we all told ya really glad you kept with it, think of how nice it will be once you get past a few K

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
see we all told ya really glad you kept with it, think of how nice it will be once you get past a few K
I am now looking forward to it!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Banned

So which bike did you settle for then Ron????????
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
So which bike did you settle for then Ron????????
Of course the Ultimate Versys 650, (2014 brand new model I think)!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 AM

Garage
I was grinning ear to ear at the 2011 kawasaki ticket to ride event. The versys beat out the ninja 1000 and Vaquero because it was so fun to ride.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Of course the Ultimate Versys 650, (2014 brand new model I think)!
^^ Correct!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I was grinning ear to ear at the 2011 kawasaki ticket to ride event. The versys beat out the ninja 1000 and Vaquero because it was so fun to ride.
You know it IS a fun bike to ride. I had to adjust my Ego a bit, in terms of the power, ride, motor, etc I felt I needed. I just started riding the thing. And thats it in a nut bag. I have 2 other bikes, an old 85 Eliminator 900 that is mostly a straight line bike, and an older 1190 KTM that seems to give me fueling issues every 3 months or so.

Both are undeniably faster than this bike, but I have to say this bike is really making me smile more than I have in recent memory on a bike. Wouldn't have thought it a while back, however Its very true.

Very simplistic design, simply get on, ride, don't think about it. Priceless.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:30 PM

I've always enjoyed the bike....but after 10,000 kms it really became awesome to ride. Not sure why, maybe I just got totally used to it, or maybe I got everything dialled in the way I like, maybe it was the new tires, but this bike is a hell of lot of fun to ride.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:22 AM

if only Kawasaki bump up the engine to 750/800cc range, that would be the absolute winner for me.

On long, straight freeways pushing the bike to go past 105mph makes the engine screaming bloody murder.

no, please dont suggest me running down a tooth or two on the rear sprox, i love how it pulls from stop and would not want to trade it off for anything else either. no replacement for displacement.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
if only Kawasaki bump up the engine to 750/800cc range, that would be the absolute winner for me.

On long, straight freeways pushing the bike to go past 105mph makes the engine screaming bloody murder.

no, please dont suggest me running down a tooth or two on the rear sprox, i love how it pulls from stop and would not want to trade it off for anything else either. no replacement for displacement.
Andrew,

How often do you do 105mph in a percentage of riding? It's a good way to lose your license over here if you make it a habit. And if you got the juice, you are probably going to use it. The 650cc is on a slippery slope now (if you ride it hard.) I like the 650 to 750 range too, but a 750 configured like the Vs. 650 would be a little too much for my license, safety, and enjoyment/confidence in riding: but I'm an old fart, so... ymmv.

Like Buddha said, "You will never be satisfied with greed no matter how much you get, because you just want more (you should know that)." Once you figure out there is no handling OR brakes good enough for anything more powerful, then you are content and learn how to ride it like you stole it at all speeds. But if you ride at 105 over 10% of the time and that is what is most important to you, follow your gut and good luck in finding what you want.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post

If you read some of my earlier posts from my first few weeks on here, One of main complaints was the engine in terms of vibes and just a non exciting feel.. I certainly felt it could use another 15 horsepower. I think a lot of that is being used to riding larger, more powerful bikes then getting on the little 650.

At any rate, Now I think it is near perfect. I have gotten used to it more, and I ride it for what it is, a standard 650 twin that can tackle some gravel roads and take me to the beach or mountains if I want to. 85% of my riding is on two lane country back roads and commuting. The other 15% is interstate, at which it seems to do fine to me. I generally run about 75 MPH on a 70 MPH road.. It does that just fine..Doesn't seem to stressed. It did however take a bit to train my ears to the higher revs without grimacing, But its all good now.

I dare say if y ou are running 105 MPH on a regular basis and don't care much about your license, they do have a 1000 Vs
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
..I dare say if you are running 105 MPH on a regular basis and don't care much about your license, they do have a 1000 Vs
AND - the 2015 650 has MORE hp!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:50 PM

What Andrew proposes is what BMW did with the Husky Nuda 900 twin. They kept it from coming into the US because it would be a 4 cylinder eater with good handling. It would wipe all the Jap and German 4 cylinder $2#.### bikes up. There is NO WAY they are going to give up their cash cow high profit margin machines.

But he did hit the nail on the head. It's too much power for me, but he can just get a Husky 900 where he lives if that's what he wants (but it IS a discontinued model, lol.) But you can't get them in the USA! BMW sold Husky to KTM and KTM shut this model and the 650 model down because they were so hot. Motorcycle #6 BMW and #7 KTM were scared of BOTH of the bikes, but the Nuda 900 would have scared the big 4 Jap bikes too. Cash cows are sacred.

Last edited by kawdog; 10-20-2015 at 05:00 PM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:23 PM

Garage
It is such a good thing there are forums like this to help make decisions. As well, it's great they are here to help us understand that what we are experiencing will change or can be changed. I know the forum helped me make final decision and helped me with some concerns. Couldn't be happier with my bike! ..unless someone wants to trade me for a 2016 Multi Strata?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Andrew,

How often do you do 105mph in a percentage of riding? It's a good way to lose your license over here if you make it a habit. And if you got the juice, you are probably going to use it. The 650cc is on a slippery slope now (if you ride it hard.) I like the 650 to 750 range too, but a 750 configured like the Vs. 650 would be a little too much for my license, safety, and enjoyment/confidence in riding: but I'm an old fart, so... ymmv.

Like Buddha said, "You will never be satisfied with greed no matter how much you get, because you just want more (you should know that)." Once you figure out there is no handling OR brakes good enough for anything more powerful, then you are content and learn how to ride it like you stole it at all speeds. But if you ride at 105 over 10% of the time and that is what is most important to you, follow your gut and good luck in finding what you want.
Umm, about 30% of my rides? i live in a rural area that is situated quite a distance from the more popular biking routes in my country. i would have to travel about an hour to hour-and-half at 70mph on a boring freeway to get to one that is nearest, so i would always bump it up to 100-105mph to get myself there and home a lil' bit quicker. But then The V is perfect for the twisties i do once i reach those biking routes. not too powerful that i lose control of it, but not too shabby either that i could give 'em 600cc supersport a lil' challenge here and there.

by the way, we bikers usually gets away with doing above 80mph on the freeway here, the authorities usually would not bother unless we were maneuvering recklessly, or attempting some stupid stunts causing troubles to other vehicles. so there's one less thing to worry about. just concentrate on the road ahead and gun the throttle. no monkeying around.

Quote:
If you read some of my earlier posts from my first few weeks on here, One of main complaints was the engine in terms of vibes and just a non exciting feel.. I certainly felt it could use another 15 horsepower. I think a lot of that is being used to riding larger, more powerful bikes then getting on the little 650.

At any rate, Now I think it is near perfect. I have gotten used to it more, and I ride it for what it is, a standard 650 twin that can tackle some gravel roads and take me to the beach or mountains if I want to. 85% of my riding is on two lane country back roads and commuting. The other 15% is interstate, at which it seems to do fine to me. I generally run about 75 MPH on a 70 MPH road.. It does that just fine..Doesn't seem to stressed. It did however take a bit to train my ears to the higher revs without grimacing, But its all good now.

I dare say if y ou are running 105 MPH on a regular basis and don't care much about your license, they do have a 1000 Vs
Yeah i am very well aware of V1000 too, but being a larger and heavier bike, it will not give me the same kinda fun in the tight twisties as the 650 does. as mentioned above, i wanted something that would do abit more that the 650 on the freeway, but maintains what the 650 does in those twisties. not too much to ask for, right?

at current market offering in my country - the yamaha mt-09 Tracer (aka FJ-09 in the States) seems to fit what i am looking for. However the only bummer is, here it is priced double the Versys 650. Idiot government with its greedy tax & duties structure.

oh by the way nope i have not owned anything bigger than the V to date. Versys is my only "big bike" since i moved up from 250, and after owning this V for 4 years, it is natural that i would itch for something else, but just couldnt let it go just yet. Versys has always been a love-hate affair for many.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:11 AM

Garage
When cornered and asked the question, "if you could only keep one of your current bikes, which one"?
The answer is the Versys. It is the compromise bike that can do a little of this and a little of that. I can put the gps on shortest distance and just go where it takes me. I have had some amazing adventures on the versys.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:

I have to say, my opinions of this bike have done a complete 180.
At 190 miles, I was not happy to say the least, the vibes, suspension, etc.. Just didn't give me a feel good. Boy how things change with an additional 800 miles and some tweaking!
Soften the suspension a few notches, the vibes have gotten steadily better.. the motor has continued to break in and run better and smoother. I have to say I am Tickled Pink that I listened to some on here and decided to keep it around! Looking at doing a BRP ride next weekend, for once i'm not a nervous wreck worrying about odd noises or an unreliable machine.
Some riders take a little longer for the Versys to train than others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode