How often do you do 105mph in a percentage of riding? It's a good way to lose your license over here if you make it a habit. And if you got the juice, you are probably going to use it. The 650cc is on a slippery slope now (if you ride it hard.) I like the 650 to 750 range too, but a 750 configured like the Vs. 650 would be a little too much for my license, safety, and enjoyment/confidence in riding: but I'm an old fart, so... ymmv.
Like Buddha said, "You will never be satisfied with greed no matter how much you get, because you just want more (you should know that)." Once you figure out there is no handling OR brakes good enough for anything more powerful, then you are content and learn how to ride it like you stole it at all speeds. But if you ride at 105 over 10% of the time and that is what is most important to you, follow your gut and good luck in finding what you want.
Umm, about 30% of my rides? i live in a rural area that is situated quite a distance from the more popular biking routes in my country. i would have to travel about an hour to hour-and-half at 70mph on a boring freeway to get to one that is nearest, so i would always bump it up to 100-105mph to get myself there and home a lil' bit quicker. But then The V is perfect for the twisties i do once i reach those biking routes. not too powerful that i lose control of it, but not too shabby either that i could give 'em 600cc supersport a lil' challenge here and there.
by the way, we bikers usually gets away with doing above 80mph on the freeway here, the authorities usually would not bother unless we were maneuvering recklessly, or attempting some stupid stunts causing troubles to other vehicles. so there's one less thing to worry about. just concentrate on the road ahead and gun the throttle. no monkeying around.
If you read some of my earlier posts from my first few weeks on here, One of main complaints was the engine in terms of vibes and just a non exciting feel.. I certainly felt it could use another 15 horsepower. I think a lot of that is being used to riding larger, more powerful bikes then getting on the little 650.
At any rate, Now I think it is near perfect. I have gotten used to it more, and I ride it for what it is, a standard 650 twin that can tackle some gravel roads and take me to the beach or mountains if I want to. 85% of my riding is on two lane country back roads and commuting. The other 15% is interstate, at which it seems to do fine to me. I generally run about 75 MPH on a 70 MPH road.. It does that just fine..Doesn't seem to stressed. It did however take a bit to train my ears to the higher revs without grimacing, But its all good now.
I dare say if y ou are running 105 MPH on a regular basis and don't care much about your license, they do have a 1000 Vs
Yeah i am very well aware of V1000 too, but being a larger and heavier bike, it will not give me the same kinda fun in the tight twisties as the 650 does. as mentioned above, i wanted something that would do abit more that the 650 on the freeway, but maintains what the 650 does in those twisties. not too much to ask for, right?
at current market offering in my country - the yamaha mt-09 Tracer (aka FJ-09 in the States) seems to fit what i am looking for. However the only bummer is, here it is priced double the Versys 650. Idiot government with its greedy tax & duties structure.
oh by the way nope i have not owned anything bigger than the V to date. Versys is my only "big bike" since i moved up from 250, and after owning this V for 4 years, it is natural that i would itch for something else, but just couldnt let it go just yet. Versys has always been a love-hate affair for many.