which cell phone and service has best GPS ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
which cell phone and service has best GPS ?

Needing to upgrade, which phone and service has the best info and service ?

Cb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM

I love my droid phone (verison) i've used the gps to follow tracks in deep brush in the middle of no where. Worked great and could zoom in to within yards of where i was. Only problem is you can't really use it like a normal gps, the screen turns dark in a min or two and there is no voice commands. Turn by turn are okay, but dont update themselves. I use it to find things when i'm in the car or have the wife with me in the car, or i have navigated with it on the dirtbike when i stop, but you half to stop, no real way to mount it and use it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 AM

I have an Android phone as well (HTC Hero) and it is awesome. I have Google Navigation Beta on mine. It works just like a regular car GPS in that mode. Screen stays on and it gives you voice turn by turn directions and finishes with a street view of your destination. Pretty cool.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Generally, effective GPS depends more upon the device and less about the cell service unless you are needing A-GPS, which is Assisted GPS. This technology uses cell service to assist GPS to boot-up more quickly and provide better GPS service in urban areas.

I have little experience with actual devices, so I defer to those who do. However, my son has an IPhone 3GS that he says works flawlessly as a GPS receiver. In any case, here is a list of devices that utilize A-GPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...h_Assisted_GPS

I'm currently in the process of attempting to develop a mount for my bike to be able to utilize a netbook and DeLorme Street Atlas software for onboard GPS (Movies on HULU while I ride...Hmmmm). I currently use this system off-road in my Jeep and it works well. I may or may not be successful with the bike...we shall see.

V-Zee
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM

I have the Motorola Droid by Verizon Wireless. It has an awesome GPS based navigation program with turn by turn, text to speech directions. Additionally, the maps are based on Google maps so they are very current. There is also a navigational option to "avoid highways" should you desire to travel on quieter roads. if you have Bluetooth capabilities in your helmet, the directions will be announced through the bluetooth device. If you hook the phone up with a power source, the screen will remain on at all times. I have the power adapter along with the vehicle mount in my car. I love this phone! I plan to hook it up to my V sometime over the summer. looking for a good way to mount it to my handle bars. I am also considering the Givi S805 for a soft mounting option.
http://www.giviusa.com/Accessories-f...cessories/S850
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 PM

I'm currently using a Samsung I9000. If you are in the states you can use google maps with voice navigation. I do network compatibility tests on all the new handsets so I get to play with all the new phones. From the Android range the HTC legend and Moto Droid is the best I have tested.

Another good opton is the nokia n97 mini with navigation and is also very acurate.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM

I use iPhone 4 with the $.099 app "MotionX Drive".
I only listen to it though - but it also looks great. Simple and accurate, with 3D maps etc.

You get $30 days of navigation service with the initial $0.99. After that there are other packages you can get.

http://drive.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

here's a video of it in action (in a car - but still)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJPSC...ayer_embedded#

It blends well with music that you play (it turns down the volume slightly when the navigator voice talks).

Last edited by Martin Lindhe; 07-01-2010 at 05:44 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 05:42 PM

I have a Motorola Droid that I use with my Vega bluetooth helmet. Eventually I will buy a more permanent mounting solution. I use a handlebar RAM mount for my nuvi 500. I made some velcro straps. Works great! Can have music and google maps at the same time.
BTW...i use Verizon.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:24 PM

i have a Verizon Droid Incredible. Googles turn by turn Navigator program is 4 times better and more accurate than my Garmin.

Its pretty amazing. One think to keep in mind is that if you leave 3g coverage you loose a bunch of features. At that point you need aftermarket apps to use the gps to it truest potential.

The chip in the HTC systems is damn amazing.

Motorola Droid and Moto X (a couple weeks away) also have great hardware.

Mounts are available and bluetooth is the norm.

Before you roll get a shot of where your goin via streetview and all is well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 PM

Iphone 4 can do it with a paid app and only if you don't touch the lower left of the bezel.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Iphone 4 can do it with a paid app and only if you don't touch the lower left of the bezel.
hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa

I love my macbook but damn the iphone 4g is so awesome you cant even touch it.

Props to Steve Jobs for recreating the Arc of the Covenant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode