Engine Cut-off on when parked. Necessary? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Engine Cut-off on when parked. Necessary?

I have an "old" riding buddy that insists I should always flip the engine cut-off switch on when I park my bike.

Is this really necessary with today's bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
i never touch the cut off switch. to me its its useless

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:35 AM

Engine cut off switch?
What's that?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 AM

Iíve heard it said that itís a good practice to routinely use the kill switch (followed by the key-off) so that in the event off a lay-down the rider will be more apt to remember that the kill switch is there and use it... I donít do this myself but it does sound like an idea with merit.

That said, I donít know enough about the ECU & FI systems to know if they would `like it' as a routine practice. Of course one could always reverse the sequence and key-off first...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Iíve heard it said that itís a good practice to routinely use the kill switch (followed by the key-off) so that in the event off a lay-down the rider will be more apt to remember that the kill switch is there and use it... I donít do this myself but it does sound like an idea with merit.
that's what i do, force of habit. it screws up my buddy when i ride any of his bikes (why won't you start?! ).

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

That said, I donít know enough about the ECU & FI systems to know if they would `like it' as a routine practice. Of course one could always reverse the sequence and key-off first...

That sounds logical to me... my buddy insists that this will prevent an accidental battery discharge after the bike is keyed-off. I could believe that 20+ years ago, but doubt its needed with today's electrical systems. Could be just and old habit for him.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 AM

Garage
I always use it !

LOP
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I always use it for this reason....it also allows me to kill the engine at the end of the ride and then check mileage on the trip meter, etc.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I always use it for this reason....it also allows me to kill the engine at the end of the ride and then check mileage on the trip meter, etc.
+1

It doesn't hurt the bike at all.

Well, maybe not for people who are prone to leaving the key in the ignition. If that's the case, then you have bigger issues.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:36 PM
DBL

I always leave the bike in first gear so when I stop and put the kick stand down, the bike shuts off. Then I lock the forks and turn off the key. I rarely use the kill switch near the throttle.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Ditto on what DBL said. Good to leave the bike in gear when on the stand.
I always use the kickstand to shut it off.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
Per the manual...No.

Just looked in the 2010 owners manual. Copied from page 34 here..

Engine Stop Switch:
In addition to the ignition switch, the engine stop switch must be in the "run" position for the motorcycle to operate.

The engine stop switch is for emergency use. If some emergency requires stopping the engine, move the engine stop switch to the position.

NOTE: Although the engine stop switch stops the engine, it does not turn off all the electrical circuits. Ordinarily, the ignition switch should be used to stop the engine.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 07-01-2010 at 07:55 PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
The engine stop switch is for emergency use.
That's what I was gonna say. IIRC from my MSF class, it's actually a DOT requirement for new bikes to have a kill switch reachable in emergencies, without taking hands off the bars.

2011 Z1000 (FTW!)
2009 Versys (sold)
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A Bike Has a KILL Switch

Cars don't have KILL switches. The closest you can come is to turn off the ignition. On a motorcycle, a KILL switch has several purposes.

The motorcycle KILL (or STOP) switch is in series with the ignition switch. When the KILL switch is open, the motorcycle will not start.

Most motorcycle training courses suggest that you get in the habit of using the motorcycle KILL switch to shut off your bike. The reasoning is that if you don't use it, it won't work when you need to use it.

Much confusion occurs in traffic when you inadvertently trip the KILL switch and then can't figure out why the bike won't restart. Always look at the KILL switch first.

You may need to use the KILL switch if your bike falls over and you can't reach the ignition. Just trip the KILL switch. KILL switches are also known as RUN or STOP switches.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL View Post
I always leave the bike in first gear so when I stop and put the kick stand down, the bike shuts off. ... I rarely use the kill switch near the throttle.
In that case, just remember to lower the kickstand if the bikeís going down...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:09 AM

In 10 years of riding I can not think of one time that I have ever used a key to kill a bike.
The man wo trained me told me to be familiar with the switch because it could save my life.

Ive used the kickstand kill a few times. Only cause Ive never had one and its a nice surprise!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:02 AM

As I understand it the big red switch is there in case your bike is involved in an accident and you or others cannot get to the ignition switch. its big and red therefore easy to identify, easy to operate and common to all bikes. given that more modern bikes have auto cutout switches elsewhere its becoming of less value I suspect

if its solely in series with the ignition then it won't totally isolate the electrics the Versys has some residual draw when the current is off, which is in part why you can't leave a versys sitting in the garage for extended periods without either going for a ride or topping up the charge with an Optimate or similar smart charger

if you want to isolate the electrics then you will need to do whats done of race/rally vehicles, have a master switch on the positive feed from the battery. something similar to
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/inde...e2eaa9158a753e
but what that will do the the device(s) drawing current all the time I haven't a clue.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:44 AM

I use the emergency stop switch routinely and follow up with the key. I reverse the order for start up.

I find that parking on an incline it is very helpful as I have both feet on the ground (no rear brake) and I am holding the front brake only. I kill the engine with the switch, release the clutch so the bike is held by the engine/tranny then release the front brake and turn off the key. Has served me well for 20 years.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 AM
DBL

I have been riding off road bikes since 1969 and street bikes since 1978 and almost never had to use the kill switch to shut off a bike that has fallen over. The few times it happened were from stupid things I did at low speed. When I rode off road bikes that only had a kill switch, I of course used it.

I agree, it's good practice to know how to kill the engine in an emergency. We certainly don't need a bunch of people riding bikes out of control like someone in a Toyota or Lexus who can't figure out how to shift into neutral, turn off the key and/or HOLD down the START button (on new cars without a key) until the engine shuts off.

Quote:
In that case, just remember to lower the kickstand if the bikeís going down...
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 AM

if your going down you won't half to worry about it. Those things shut off and are hard to restart untill you cycle the power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode