Best saddle bag/luggage options? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best saddle bag/luggage options?

Right now I have a planned trip this summer that will take about 4-5 days through 1200 miles of Colorado. I'm looking for the overall best option for saddle bags taking into account size, price, and functionality.

Any tips?

Going on an 08 Versys.

On an unrelated note, where can I get cheap 'Kawasaki Versys' tank decals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:24 PM

The Cortech bags work well and are reasonably priced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0753.jpg (995.2 KB, 1716 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Do they come with brackets?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 PM

I just ordered the Givi E21s and the mounting brackets. They are not huge, so I plan on leaving them on all the time. On longer roadtrips I have a Cortech bag to throw accross the top. I ordered them thru www.sporttour.com - you might want to check out the site. Have several options to choose depending on how much you want to spend. Total for E21's were about $370 for the black ones with mounting brackets with free shipping.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Those happy-trails.com boxes are expensive!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:38 AM

saddle bags

I bought the Give "Easybag" saddle bags for $99 from Twisted Throttle - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3604/191/

I used these, and the Givi rear-case, for a long trip this spring through the west.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2349/127/

Of course you'll have to buy thye mounting rack for the rear-case as well
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3906/652/

The saddlebags were definitely adequate. It was pretty easy to take them off the bike at every nightly stop by removing the seat, without having to re-adjust the straps or anything. The are actually pretty big and they expand even further when the extensions are unzipped. My wife and I were on the road for 10 days and we were able to fit everything we needed in the un-expanded saddlebags and the rear-case. I actually love the rear case. You can get an optional ($50) backrest that fits on it for a passenger if needed. It's huge, mounts nicely and securely, easily goes on and off, and honestly I think the bike looks even better with it on.

The saddlebags come with rain-covers but I found them to be pretty worthless. Eventually water fills them from splashing from the rear wheel and then you've got 10 lbs of water swishing around back there. I would prefer to put everything inside the saddlebags in waterproof bags. Also, I didn't have the rear suspension set on the right setting when we started so on sharp turns there was some rubbing between the bottom of the bags and the rear wheel. I don't think this would at all be a problem with no passenger and after I adjusted the rear shock it didn't happen anymore even with two of us and 60 lbs of gear.

The Givi hard side cases are nice but at over $800 they were out of my price range. I like aluminum panniers also but they are also really expensive. Plus both of those require semi-permanent mounting racks whereas saddle bags don't. They do kind of lean inwards and rest a little on the turn signals and reflectors, but this didn't seem to be an issue at all.

By the way, where are you planning on going? My wife and I just planned this trip for late August:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4,9.854736&z=7

Last edited by mushin; 07-01-2010 at 09:44 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcarne View Post
I just ordered the Givi E21s and the mounting brackets. They are not huge, so I plan on leaving them on all the time. On longer roadtrips I have a Cortech bag to throw accross the top. I ordered them thru www.sporttour.com - you might want to check out the site. Have several options to choose depending on how much you want to spend. Total for E21's were about $370 for the black ones with mounting brackets with free shipping.
Does anyone have a pic of hte e21 on a v? i was about to order v35 bags this week.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Those happy-trails.com boxes are expensive!
Compared to a lot of other hard case options they're on the cheaper side (as far as price).
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 AM

I like those panniers. Do they lock? How easy are they to take on and off, and will the mounting rack fit with a SW-Motech rear-rack mounted as well? That really is a much more affordable option than the big givi side-cases, but I hadn't come across the smaller ones. Those are pretty affordable too, though they look a little small for what I may be using them for.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Mushin,

We're planning on Highlands Ranch - Gunnison - Cortez - Glenwood Springs - and finishing up in Highlands Ranch.

Realistically, the bags will stay on for this trip, then sit in the closet until next year.

My bike also has a rear lowering block, so I don't know if this will affect anything.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:54 PM
psc

Check out www.cariboucases.com yet?

He's in Boulder, and if you ask nicely, you can probably ride by and get them installed in his front yard.

Peter
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Peter, I live in TX for the moment. Riding with some friends in CO and taking an extra week to find a new house.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 03:39 PM

what are good luggage alternatives if you're doing some 2-up?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:57 PM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Peter, I live in TX for the moment. Riding with some friends in CO and taking an extra week to find a new house.
No big deal. So mail order from him and you'll get the luggage to your door. It took me 1 hour and 2 beers to install and I was on my way the next day.

Peter
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Pictures In The Gallery Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Does anyone have a pic of hte e21 on a v? i was about to order v35 bags this week.
Check the gallery for some good pictures of the E21's on a red V. I've got the E21's coming, hoping to install on my GREEN V this weekend.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Speedcarne post some picts when you get those E21s on your green V. I'm 99% sure that's what I'm going to go with as well as a V46 with the tech trim. Seems like the best value and really looks good. This whole set up is about the same price as just the V35s and I think suits the lines of the bike better. The V35s seem a little too long or somehow off balance to me.

- Zac
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 PM

The cortech bags just hang over the seat and have attachement straps to fasten to the bike. They do not come with panniers. I found a place thru one of the forum members who found soft bag panniers, but the company refuses to answer their emails. They just lost alot of business from all of us forum members who were interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV76X View Post
Speedcarne post some picts when you get those E21s on your green V. I'm 99% sure that's what I'm going to go with as well as a V46 with the tech trim. Seems like the best value and really looks good. This whole set up is about the same price as just the V35s and I think suits the lines of the bike better. The V35s seem a little too long or somehow off balance to me.
I'll be glad to post some pics when I get them on. Hopefully will get them tommarow so I can install on Saturday. I agree that the V35s look off balance. I know capacity is more, but for type of trips I do E21's should work fine and will leave them on most of the time. Can't go wrong with most any GIVI bags, just matter of how you're going to use them.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Here:

And here:

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Good News / Bad News

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcarne View Post
I'll be glad to post some pics when I get them on. Hopefully will get them tommarow so I can install on Saturday. I agree that the V35s look off balance. I know capacity is more, but for type of trips I do E21's should work fine and will leave them on most of the time. Can't go wrong with most any GIVI bags, just matter of how you're going to use them.
Just an update, good news I recieved the E21s today. They were drop shipped from GIVI. Bad news, they sent the PL448 bracket kit (KLR650) instead of the PL447 for the V! Looks like a picking error. Won't be able to reship until Tuesday. Rainy weather in Texas, probably would'nt be riding much anyway. Will update you I get the next shipment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode