Love To Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Love To Ride

Ok, I am at a fork in the road of life(take it! My life is blessed with gifts, my health and health of family(mostly), I am comfortable, not rich. I am at the end of the middle(54yrs) and reflecting on what's ahead. Enough of this.

I love to ride. I ride and sometimes race bicycles, I ride my Versys like it's meant to be ridden, not over the top but with finesse. I don't take risks, no wheelies, split lanes, etc. I watch out for hazards. I wear my gear, all the time, even in this heat.

I was in a really nasty bicycle wreck Thursday. My posse was out doing the usual Thurs loop, which is the "hammer" night, all out, all the time. I was at the back of the leading group, when the dominoe stop effect took out 2 riders right in front of me; I had no place to move and hit, then flew over the bars and landed hard on the asphalt(no idea the speed) on my left side. I didn't break any bones, but ER Xrays revealed a collapsed left lung with trama. ER operation with tube in rib cage to remove air and fluids surrounding collapsed lung. Post op, 3 days in the hospital with vacuum tube attached, caused me extreme pain and time to reflect on my actions.

I am not trying to be dramatic, its the wreck talking. I just don't know for sure if it is fair to all the loved ones who reached out for me(including the good samaritans in the car behind us who delivered me to the hospital) to continue to put myself in harms way, bicycling and motorcycling.

Sure, I can't wait to ride with my bike friends(both types), and I say I am going to be more careful, slow down, act my age. Those are words of an addict, which I admit.

I don't know if I will have a motorcycle much longer, I know I will continue to bicycle, but not road race. I am done with that particular risk. There it is. I love this forum, I'm not going anywhere. I consider you all to be the best there is in the motorcycle community. I hope I am still riding my Versys the next time I get the chance
(Doctors release is unknown at this time). In the meantime, I am thinking, praying, praising God, and thanking him for the Gift of Precious Time.
Thanks for reading this,
Randy

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 06-30-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 PM

I totally call dibs on that trick painted stock windscreen if your getting out of motorcycling...j/k! = ) I don't know you that well, heck I've barely talked to most of the regulars my short time on this forum, but. I would really take some time to think about it. I'm married with a 3 year old and another little one on the way in September. Two years ago during a spirited ride in West Virginia I happened around a corner. On the other side of that corner was a minivan waiting for me, parked in the middle of the road, with it's owner taking scenery pictures. Luckily I was not holding any ridiculous pace, but I was forced off onto the shoulder (gravel,loose sand and lots of holes). So goes it, lost the bike, went down and the whole nine. Banged up pretty good, broken collar bone, dislocated shoulder, all the fun stuff. I seriously questioned whether I would ever be on a bike again for about two months. Looking back I'm really glad I still ride, you take risks just getting out of bed every morning. I'd say get healed up, take it easy for a little while. If you find your completely at peace with walking away, than you know your answer. Otherwise, just take the time you need, the bike will be there when your ready : )

Mike
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiVA76 View Post
I totally call dibs on that trick painted stock windscreen if your getting out of motorcycling...j/k! = ) I don't know you that well, heck I've barely talked to most of the regulars my short time on this forum, but. I would really take some time to think about it. I'm married with a 3 year old and another little one on the way in September. Two years ago during a spirited ride in West Virginia I happened around a corner. On the other side of that corner was a minivan waiting for me, parked in the middle of the road, with it's owner taking scenery pictures. Luckily I was not holding any ridiculous pace, but I was forced off onto the shoulder (gravel,loose sand and lots of holes). So goes it, lost the bike, went down and the whole nine. Banged up pretty good, broken collar bone, dislocated shoulder, all the fun stuff. I seriously questioned whether I would ever be on a bike again for about two months. Looking back I'm really glad I still ride, you take risks just getting out of bed every morning. I'd say get healed up, take it easy for a little while. If you find your completely at peace with walking away, than you know your answer. Otherwise, just take the time you need, the bike will be there when your ready : )

Mike
Thanks Mike, it takes gonads to respond to a post like this one. I don't want to discourage anyone from riding, that is the last thing I would want to do. As the title says, I love to ride! I always have, since I begged and sulked and saved until my Mom and Dad finally caved in and let me buy my first Yamaha Enduro at 15. These days a kid that age is saving for a 450 or a sportbike, I guess. I hate the idea of selling, but I am putting it up. I just had a heart to heart with my wife, showed her this post, and without any suggestion from her, I have decided to list the Versys on Ebay and Craigslist. I am not giving it away, I have a bottom price I will sell it and not going lower. I am not going to ask more than I would honestly pay for the bike, but that is because this is not a excuse to keep motorcycling. I will probably have accessories for sale if she gets a new owner, (including the OEM screen, which I swear, took me the time it took to paint it three coats).

Note: I have deleted something I said. I wish life was that easy!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 07-02-2010 at 06:29 AM.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Element

We all have much to be thankful for(I can't begin to list, its countless). You now have one more thing to be thankful for...make the most of the time you have left....whether it includes a bike or not.....make the most of each day..(advice I need to take also). Our God(if it's Jesus)is a God of second chances. Take your time....PEACE!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 PM

I used to surf. One day I wipe out while taking a big wave and woke up in an ambulance. Not sure what happened, but my buddies told me I almost became fish food. I decided that surfing was an irresponsibly risky activity and quit. For more than 28 years I though I made the right choice. A few weeks ago ago my eleven year old asked me if I could teach him how to surf this summer. I had to reply that I cannot surf anymore and cannot teach him how. That almost broke my heart. Make me wish I can go back in time and try to catch another wave. Although I cannot go back in time maybe I can try to catch another wave. Maybe.

Ships are safe in the harbor. However, that is not what they were built for.

Hope you get well soon
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 PM

Real sorry to hear about your accident, but am glad your alright. Sorry to hear the V is going, and sorry I never had a chance to make it down for the ride you worked so hard to get together that the rain messed with.
Good luck with your health and the V community will miss your comments.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks for sharing, Element. I understand where your head is. I was addicted to riding. 18 years ago, gave it up. Family reasons. Made sense at the time and it was the right thing to do.

About a year ago (in a week) I bought a 1600 Vulcan and got back in the game. Made sense at the time and it was the right thing to do.

Now I am planning a trip for next year to Cabo and Alaska the following year - thus I joined this forum - don't even own a Versys yet. Made sense at the time and it was the right thing to do.

As the days go by and you recover completely, you need to see where you are. Your heart will help you make a decision that makes sense and is right at the time.

As the days go by, the right decision will be clear. And the good news is that you can always change your mind

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM

"If it doesn't sell that's my sign I get to keep Motorcycling"....isn't this letting the fickled finger of fate make a decision that you should really make? You sound conflicted and understandably so. Do yourself a favor and let at least a month pass before deciding. Give the mind and body some time to heal. Then decide. Just a thought. Get well soon.

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Element:

Weather we met in Hate or Love, that we met was written by fate. For the short time I have been in this forum , let me take the time to Thank You and all others who has kept the company in the forum.

Its always a heartache to read such a mail , and worst still from someone whom we all know as a good buddy.
My prayers are with you for a speedy recovers and trust that you will walk tall again and maybe ride.
If you feel the bike is not for you at this age , let it go with a full hearth and we will understand your move.
Nothing in this world is permanent , but our love and concern will always shadow you.

Take care buddy and please keep us informed.
Love and prayers. FastO
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hi Element, thank's for sharing. With your recent accident the emotions/feeling will be pretty raw and in times like that we do take stock of our lives. whatever you decide to do as long as you have peace in your heart, it will be the right thing for you to do. We can all tell you give it time, don't be hasty, get back on the horse but you gotto do what you gotto do.
All the best in your recovery, Phil
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 PM

As bikers we get out, and we get back in. You'll be back.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

I am overwhelmed right now, and every single post you all have put up has blown me away yet again. Thank you all so, much. I said it before, this forum is the best in motorcycling, I believe that!

On a lighter note, I woke up this morning with a lyric stuck in my head, from the Boss,

"In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway American dream
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
Sprung from cages out on highway 9,
Chrome wheeled, fuel injected
and steppin' out over the line
Baby this town rips the bones from your back
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young
'Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

And that song is about "cages" (I do have a firm grasp on the obvious)
What I know is I always feel I was "born to Ride!"

My Album:
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM

What you are going through I think most all riders go through at some point.
Choosing to give up something you love for someone you love is never the wrong thing to do if that's what you decide.
At some age, our abilities diminish to the point where it is just poor judgement to continue to ride.
At that time, I hope I have the wisdom to make the right decision. And I don't want it to be colored by my need to convince myself I really haven't gotten to that point. Conversely, I don't want to become fearful of all risks and choices and confuse it with wisdom acquired with age........
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr302 View Post
"If it doesn't sell that's my sign I get to keep Motorcycling"....isn't this letting the fickled finger of fate make a decision that you should really make? You sound conflicted and understandably so. Do yourself a favor and let at least a month pass before deciding. Give the mind and body some time to heal. Then decide. Just a thought. Get well soon.
that's what i thought, it sounds like a cop-out. dwr is also right in that major decisions should not be influenced by emotion. better to put some stabilizer in the tank and park it until you're over it, then figure this out. then, if it's for sale, try actually selling it.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:02 AM

As a general rule of thumb, itís not a good idea to make major decisions while in an emotionally charged state. Perhaps a cooling off period is in order...

OTOH, perhaps having a tube in oneís chest is exactly the right time... because it certainly is a reality check!

But on a more humorous note, if one is considering giving up motorcycles because of a bicycle accident... itís a good thing that it wasnít a trip & fall down the stairs

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 AM
naz

wish you the best mate.keep the bike it gives you food for the mind,even if you dont ride it,its a silent adrenaline injector...
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Life is risky. As a avid cyclist I too know what it is like to take a fall at 20+ mph. Paceline/Pack riding is extremely risky... maybe more than riding a motorcycle conservatively IMO.

Tens of thousands of people die in car accidents every year. 93 a day in 2009. When you pass a truck on a single lane road, the two of you come within 10ft or less of having a horrific head-on collision. Inspite of all this... we still drive our cars and think nothing of it. Hardware offers some good advice.... let things cool a little bit and reflect when your heart has settled down some.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It can shake a person up realizing ones own mortality. when were young we think were indestructable.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 AM

for the last three days I have been working at our 'Cobo Convention center' as a rigger.
walking the steel, 45 feet off the deck. pulling 80 pounds of chain motor into the air, setting the points and moving on. One after the other. No safeties but my hands and feet cuz that's the only way it gets done. (free climbing, cuz there are times when a safety harness will in deed get you killed.)
Each step, beam to beam, a calculated risk.
I love to climb. Using every muscle, doin' the math, making it safe.
But there are better riggers...I never get the chance as often as I wish.
But there i was, being called upon to get er done. We've been busy these days; not enough riggers to go around or many of our top guys (best in the country I might add) are off making movies for 'hollywood' in Detroit. and I do have the skills, just never enough opportunities over the years to use them.
It was glorious.
It was a blast.
It was ....fun.
I got er done.
and at any given moment i could have fallin' to my ...demise! No, call it what it is...my death.
Life's like that.
Life's a risk. from the day we're born, we are all doomed.
One chance to live it.
One chance to let it all slip away.
Up in the steel I was alive.
On the "V" I am alive.
I'm not a risk taker...at least I don't think so.
But whither i am walking the high steel or working the pin rail at my beloved opera house or working with the thousands of amps of electricity it takes to fire up a 'KISS" concert or focusing a show from a bozens chair.......or on the bike...
or in the arms of my sweetheart...I'm alive.
I'll never be a rich man. not in the way most folk think of being rich, and i don't care.
But my life is full and there are so many miles left to go before me that i swear i get younger every day.
And one day I'll have to stop climbing, One day I'll have to become the steward of the call and watch as all the young 'crows' get to have all the fun...get to learn and practice there craft....get there chance to shine ever so brightly.
When that day comes that i become the 'old man' with all the answers i hope to step aside with grace and dignity.
One day I'll have to put down the keys and take the bus.
This I know and this i except.
But not yet...maybe tomorrow...maybe next week. But not today.
It's not about taking risks. It's not about facing dangers seen and unseen.
It's about doing what you love.
on the raggedy edge.

And by the way.....all the edges are raggedy.

Funny how a machine can bring together so many fine souls...from all across this world of ours.
Like minds. kindred spirits.
But all so very different indeed.
Friends.
I'm so very moved by your words. So very happy you'll be OK.
You make us all pause I am sure and take stock.

You do what you gotta do , Element.
Only your heart knows.
but you better not disappear from the "Verse" either.
Your wisdom is valued and rightly so....as is your friendship.
So hears to a speedy recovery.
Be well my friend, and though I may never have the honor of shaking your hand I DO INDEED COUNT YOU AS FRIEND.
(just as I do all of you here at the 'verse').
Life is good.
Living it is better.
Peace.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 07-01-2010 at 08:11 AM.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 AM

Everyone has to make their own decision but how much fun is sitting on the couch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode