On to my first few miles, my own impressions! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
On to my first few miles, my own impressions!

Hello all,

Ok so VeeVee 2010 has done about 420 kms in 3 days of commuting plus a few dinners out to celebrate lol

Sheīs still too young and timid for photos, I will wait a couple more days lol

I am sure most of this will be no news for you:

- Chain was too tight, was corrected, headlights were almost pointing to the sky - now I know why some incoming vehicles were flashlighting me lol, also tuned. Throttle control had too much play before throttle, now fine tuned. Rear brake lever too low, upped 1 cm. Cannot say any bad things on the brakes, probably braided hel lines installed at 0 km, as well as dot 5.1 brake oil helped out.

- Have moved the front factory windshield to uppermost position, much better venting but not perfect (I am 1,80 mts tall), top of helmet gets some buffeting. Maybe drill a third row of holes to get the shield a bit higher, does this make any sense?

- first 300 km avoided going higher than 5k rpm, at about 350 started pushing to 6k rpm a few times. half the time riding with the girl in the back. Will change oil and filter at 500 km and add in a magnetic oil sump plug, plus sinthetic 15-50w oil, dealer recommendation, I have no issues with that, and then push higher up into the 8k rpm range. Will of course redo oil change at 1000 km service.

- I am always trying to get the mirrors in position. Have ordered motowerkīs mirror extenders to position them further away (maybe about 30 degrees towards front), I donīt know if those mirror extenders do get them a bit higher, that would be nice.

- I think I will have problems with the seat. It is stated that it was improved since 09, but if 2010 is like this the 09 must have been terrible. After 30 or 40km I start moving in the bike trying to cure my a** numbness but that doesnt help because I am unable to stay put at mid or back points. I get pushed in the front. Because right now I cannot spend any more money on upgrades, maybe I will try another nice memberīs idea of trying to get the seat higher on the internal U seat front connection. Also the feel of the factory foam is a total disgrace.
Ordered motowerkīs lowering front pegs, maybe this will help a bit at seat positioning ?

- Have noticed the so said "whistle" from injection, sensed it at idle. But what puzzles me is hearing a few rattles (4 or 5 so far) from the exaust at low rpms, and a few times when decelerating (3 or 4 times so far). Is this normal ?

- In hot daytime (35šC presently) when pushing from city stoplights my right leg gets hot, but liveable lol

- I am disappointed with mikes grill. Again, I ordered it because no other manufacturer would produce a golden anodised one. Itīs not a perfect fit from side to side (the mid point slightly folds out) but the saddest thing is the grillīs application onto the radiator: 4 pieces of steel string! not even golden! (the cover is golden, as I wanted). This is a winny keeny job in my humble opinion, 50 pounds for a simple mesh with a rubberized plastic outskirt made to fit (almost!) seems like an abbuse. Of course cannot spend another 50 pounds on another rad cover, so I will try to fix it with adjustable steel bracelets between the cover and the back of the rad, one running vertical at height, another horizontal at width. Also have the option of using high temp 2 component bond epoxy to glue in the cover onto the top and low most points of the radiator fin, but probably if I wanted to take it out I would have to drill, and that doesnīt sounds good.
Any other ideas?

- Still canīt comment on mileage, but itīs probably a bit high, not concerned on the first few hundred miles.

- I keep looking for 7th gear lol maybe in the future will follow opinions and fit a 44 teeth rear sprocket. Anyone knows where can I order a compatible one in europe, and how many chain elements, if any, have to be taken out?

As soon as I sort out these small mishaps I am sure I will be very happy. All and all a very nice ride, power range right on spot for town and commuting use, and people keep looking at it, not that I really care but itīs good for the ego lol

So what do you think, all opinions welcome..

best rgds

Nuno
in the hot... sweaty sunny weather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 PM

Well, I can comment on a few of those points.

My chain was also too tight. I readjusted and all is well. The heat is normal for this kind of motor and frame style. If you were used to a fairing style bike before, this will be a change for sure.
The stock seat sucked for me also. I have ordered a Baldwin Custom hoping I can put some long miles on in a day. I will keep the forum updated after I get it and put some miles on it.
I have heard the whistle but not the rattle. Could you be hearing a ping from using low octaine fuel? The book calls for 87 but depending on where you live you may need a higher octane fuel.
The elusive 7th gear is missing on my bike too. I think these bikes need to rev higher to be happy.
Hey, I have very few miles on this bike myself so like all newbs, I am searching for new information and ideas to improve the project.
Best of luck on the new ride and Happy Trails.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:19 PM

Try this for the windshield

I'm no authority but I found flipping the windshield upside down on my '09 helped with wind flow a little. Therefore if you were interested in drilling extra holes for added height you may want to drill them on the top side of the shield if you plan on flipping it upside down. Hence you may want to try the upside down position first, before you drill....

Hey Stagehand...I used both therefore and hence in the same paragraph....naaaanaaaa nooonooo.

EDIT: OOPS, sorry, you can't flip the '10 as we could the '09

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 06-30-2010 at 10:27 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
44t to the rear stops you looking for 7th gear
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
again and hope you set up the bike to your liking and post some pictures.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys

thks for the very prompt comments!

Thumper: I am using 98oct fuel, so will surely not be because of that;

Granda Ron: I donīt think 2010 model windshields are flippable...

cmon hit me with more lol

have a nice day (07.45 am here right now)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 AM
naz

when i bought my vesrah i followed a simple strategy.hit it hard with rage so as to bring any issues fast while in warranty...the poor bike passed this period without a glitch but i kept pushing it till today,while being off the warranty period...i am now convinced that its a bullet proof one and i have no fear pushing it.if i were back in the braking period i might give it a bit harder time so as to have the engine braking in higher friction states with cheap 10w-40 .then i would pass to synth.in any case i believe that you should not be very polite with the engine ,even in braking period and there are real reasons to back up this theory.
another suggestion would be not to spent too much money on farkles because as a new owner you may change you mind in 3-4 months and decide to sell it,if you do all the money for the farkles will be of no value....if you indeed like the bike and plan to keep it make some investments.
thats all for now if i remember something more i will edit this post.
safe rides
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
I'm no authority but I found flipping the windshield upside down on my '09 helped with wind flow a little. Therefore if you were interested in drilling extra holes for added height you may want to drill them on the top side of the shield if you plan on flipping it upside down. Hence you may want to try the upside down position first, before you drill....

Hey Stagehand...I used both therefore and hence in the same paragraph....naaaanaaaa nooonooo.

EDIT: OOPS, sorry, you can't flip the '10 as we could the '09
Hahahaha!!!! Now THAT is funny!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
44t to the rear stops you looking for 7th gear
A poet & didn't know it....

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

poets aside,

this stock seat is so bad,
in half hour canīt feel my back
starting to go mad,
like my bum got a big whack

hehehe
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Heh heh!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode