7Jurock windscreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

7Jurock windscreen

So my recent trip convinced me that I needed a bigger windscreen for distance travel. Looked around, read the reviews, and decided to go a different direction and try something else. Found 7JuRock.com and liked the size. 7JuRock - KAWASAKI VERSYS 2006-2009 WINDSHIELD Ordered and received in short order, and this is a preliminary review since I only had time to run down the street and back on it. So far I'm not amazed, but neither am I disappointed. To begin with it's plexi rather than polycarbonate. This is clearly stated in the description, so it's not a negative. It's also stated in the description that it's thicker than the original. What's not really stated is that it's -pounds- heavier than the stocker. The windscreen support for the first gen vs. is not all that strong, so this is a serious problem for me. The additional height combined with the additional weight mean that it flexes the mount pretty badly. Since I'm the kind of guy that voids warranties, I mounted the windscreen to the highest holes and drilled a third set at the lowest hole and added two more screws, which seems to have tightened it up a bit. Haven't put it on the road since then however. Another problem is that the mounting holes are "cnc drilled to match factory specifications" per the description. However, they're clearly drilled prior to the shaping process as evidenced by the holes being oblong. Unfortunately this also means that they move a little bit. For most this wouldn't be a problem since the mounts are flexible enough to take up the slack. However, I have one of those nifty aluminum GPS mounts installed that lock the mount exactly where it should be, so for me the top holes didn't line up particularly well.
On the good side, it's very well made, optically crystal clear and the edges are nicely finished. Fit was as stated earlier, and my no-name handguards just miss the screen at full lock.
Riding impressions: Goodish. The stock screen put the dirty air right at the bottom of my helmet, which led to much noise and some buffeting. Obviously, it had no impact on forward vision. This screen puts the air right at the top of my helmet, leading to a little bit of buffeting but a much quieter ride overall. Optically it's clear and easy to see through, with the top edge being right at the horizon line for me. I plan to keep it as a winter screen/distance screen, and pop the stocker back on the rest of the time.
What would I change? I'd make it 2" taller, and 1/3 thinner. I will proably come up with a stronger mount for it, but I'm not sure yet what that will entail. It may be a replacement of the stock mount, it may be two additional arms that come up from the fairing to the screen top, it may (will probably) include strengthening the entire front fairing mount.

Will give more impressions as I get time on it, and will get less bad pictures soon. Last night was spent cleaning the barn and teaching a class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen1.jpg (19.3 KB, 152 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:20 AM

madstad bracket would be the ticket.

don't think you mentioned which size you chose
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

That may be just the thing, I'll check it out. Thanks! Also you're right I failed to mention, I got the 20".
Edit: Nope. Apparently there were two versions of the bracket. Early version was a complete replacement of the stock mount, later versions reuse the stock mount. Unless I can find an earlier version, I'll have to make my own.

Last edited by whodat; 10-14-2015 at 08:42 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:51 AM

I've got the earlier version, calipers, and cad; so if you need measurements to help make something let me know.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the offer, thanks. May have to play with my daughter's 3d printer and see what I can come up with.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

So quick update. I drilled more holes to raise it more, but there's only so much room on the bottom. Also I pulled the side fairings off and stared in an engineering manner at the front fairing support. There's just not a whole lot of rigidity to be easily added to the thing. I grabbed a dial indicator and measured a bit, from a fixed point on the tank to the top of the windscreen bracket it moves nearly 100 thousandths when racking on the top of the screen. Measuring from the same point on the tank to the top of the tach measured movement of about 40 thou, so it's not just the screen mount that's moving its the whole fairing mount. The whole front fairing is supported by two bolts that hold a big, complex, flexy bracket. Im going to run it as is for now, then when I have a week or so of 'I'm not riding in this' weather I'll pull the front end apart and weld in some braces.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:40 AM

uh oh, I see a naked bike / street-fighter project in your future

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Nah, in my mind 'streetfighter'='Crashed and can't afford to fix it' I'll get that fairing brace strong enough to hold the screen, I just may need to run some braces from the tank forward. I'm going to start small though. The problem is that kawasaki really did a very good job of putting a lot of stuff in a very small space, so there's just not that much room behind the fairing that isn't taken by something. I may end up having to move the ignition switch and lose the steering lock to get enough room, but that's an outlier possibility. More likely I'll have to yank the headlight to replace a bulb which I'm OK with.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:41 PM

a brace like on the late 90's zx6r and the zzr600 would probably work. mounting point can be sharing the top forward most screws for the fairing attachment to the tank.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

That's one option. Another less intrusive, albeit more complex, is to follow along under the black dash pieces that connect to the tank. The problem with the fairing mount is the shape. Imagine a football goalpost with another horizontal crossbar at the top. That's the shape of the stock fairing brace, and it lets too much flex in.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Update: Coverage is excellent, optical clarity is great. It's the exact wrong height for me though. I raised it a bit higher than it was designed for (again, I'm all about voiding warranties) but it puts the top of the screen directly at the horizon line for me so I'm constantly looking over it or under it, and stretching up or hunching down. Before I cut it up I'll brace the fairing and raise it more to see if that works, if not I'll chop it down 6 or eight inches and see what that does. I had the bike up to speeds slightly in excess of the legal limit (had I been in Texas) and it was pretty stable the whole time. Only real caveats are what you'd get with any big screen, I took a huge hit in the mileage. Haven't figured the actual mileage out but I definitely had to fill up earlier than I usually do. Really I think the problem with the vs windscreen is how close it is and how vertical the angle has to be. Oh also I misspoke (politician weaselspeak) earlier when talking about the mirrors clearing it. The brake side mirror clears fine, the clutch side hits at full lock because for some reason the clutch and brake mirror mounts are at different points and different angles, with the clutch being more forward mounted and angled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (65.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg skyline.jpg (90.0 KB, 54 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode