Taking new rear tire suggestions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Taking new rear tire suggestions

I currently have a Pirelli Scorpion Sync on the rear that is getting near the end of it's life. I like how it preformed on the road but not it's longevity. I'm looking for a tire with a similar tread pattern that will last longer. I ride mostly paved roads with the occasional dirt road here and there. I await your suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

The Dunlop tires are interesting but it looks like they don't come in the 160/60 r17 size for the Versys. I'm not too crazy about trying out non-standard sizes but the Avon Distanzia caught my eye.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 PM

This is what I just put on at 5300 miles, wanted a new tire for my trip this fri. to Wis.
Pilot Road
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P-Pilot-Road-avar.jpg (19.5 KB, 91 views)

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer

Last edited by Randy49; 06-29-2010 at 10:09 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
have you consider going to the angels brothercannon, will put them on when my pirelli strada wears out.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

I just read a review of the Pirelli Angels and they appear to be a good tire but I'm looking for something with a hint of dual sport in them.

I'm looking for tires like the avon distanzia or Pirelli Scorpion Sync. I may end up going with a sport touring type tire for mileage reasons but I would prefer to have a tire that is more forgiving on dirt roads.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

what did they review say on the angels, I mainly use on road, I do not ride my V like I used to ride my GS 650
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 AM

Check out Pilot Road 2. I got 2000 miles on mine and still look like the day I put them on.

Happy with the ride and stick to the road !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 AM

I have the Dunlop 616 front and it handles great on pavement. Haven't tried dirt. No rear size available.
I had Distanzia on my DRZ--good durability and decent grip but vague feel.
I'm about to throw on a Scorpion Sync rear this weekend. At least it looks good w/ the 616 front.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 AM

I've also ordered a F/R Angels set for the next round.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

going to the angels next because was very dissapointed with the strada's wear so the pirelli rep is giving me a good discount on the angels otherwise i was going to the competition to get pilot road 2's
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 AM

I have a pair of Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on my V and have 4500km on them and have maybe another 1000 to 1500km left on rear and have about half worn the front. I have had slightly better Ks out of the Pirelli Strada rear tyre I had on before present Tyres. I do like the Scorpions on the gravel far more control than the road tyres.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Don't tell me you skipped all those great tire discussions?

The short version is that there is no rear tire that has real dual-sport credentials and fits the Versys that isn't a Distanzia or MT-60 supermoto tire. Everything else is either a sport-touring (in the right size) or a D/S tire that is 150/70-17. The Scorpion Sync have a more aggressive pattern but are really a sport-touring tire, and as you just saw, don't really last any longer than other S/T tires. That last bit really depends on how and where you ride. If you are consistently getting around, say, 5K miles from your tires, all similar tires will be in that same range. Maybe you'll get 6K from one and 4.5K from another, but I wouldn't expect to double the mileage without changing the riding style and roads. Now if you put a completely different tire, like a Metzeler Tourance which is a true D/S tire and has a very different construction and compound, you may see a significant difference in longevity.

The longest lasting sport-touring tire I had so far on the Versys was a Dunlop RoadSmart - it went 5.5K to the wear bars. The Syncs only went 4.5K, the OE D221 even less than that, at 4K I had cords showing.

Hope this helps,

Gustavo

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

kiwi 41: Here is the review of the angels that I read

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/p...iew-88755.html

basically they said that it is a great sport touring tire.

Gustavo: I must admit that I haven't read all of the great tire discussions on here but I think I may have found my next tire.

I think I'll try a Metzler Tourance on the rear. I know it won't be the right size but other guys on this forum have been running 150/70 on the rear with out any problems.

Here's the thread about it: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4471

As far as the front goes I'm not into raising the fender, and running a rear tire on the front. Like they guys running the tourance in the rear are doing. So I think I'll give the Dunlop 616 a try when my scorpion sync on the front wears out.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered the Metzler Tourance from ebay. I've bought tires from this seller before and never had any problem plus they have the best price I can find on the net.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=270590020163

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
I just ordered the Metzler Tourance from ebay. I've bought tires from this seller before and never had any problem plus they have the best price I can find on the net.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=270590020163
Ebay's CycleHead does have a good selection and prices on tires. They were also able to ship a Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara I ordered for a KTM Adv 640 to Canada via USPS.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I got the Tourance installed today. Then I took the V on a 200 mile ride to test it out and so far so good. If I get the mileage out of this tire that others report I'll be very happy with it. I still need to test it out on a few dirt roads but I'll get to that later.

Here is a pic of my old scorpion sync with 5k on it and the new tourance next to it.

And here is the tourance after 200 miles of riding.

Last edited by brothercannon; 07-13-2010 at 08:00 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 PM

I would not recommend the Pilot Road 2, this is mine after 2600 miles in AR twisty roads.

I am using a Pilot Power, and it is not wearing as fast, and it does not have those funny scallops on the sides and it is $40 cheaper. In Dallas I can get a new Pilot Power for $100 cash.

If you are going with the Distanza use the 150/70 not the 160/60 mine lasted all of 2k miles and it was gone.

Todd
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapntx View Post
I would not recommend the Pilot Road 2, this is mine after 2600 miles in AR twisty roads.

Interesting... I just replaced a rear Pilot Road 2 at 6500 miles and it wasn’t quite as far gone as yours... and for comparison, I went through the OEM Dunlops by 3400 (the rear was at the wear bars at 2600). All my riding is on back winding roads & moderately aggressive.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode