how to break it in - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
how to break it in

I have put 300km on my new versys should be more but it has rained almost every day since i got the bike. I have been following the manuals break in plan to a t no more than 4000 rpm for the first 800 km etc. In talking with a chum from work (rides a Suzuki) he said that the dealer told him to ride it like you stold it during the breakin period. My question is do I follow the manual or do I rev the bike out alittle more.

Buckshot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Talking

Buckshot,

The range of opinions on motorcycle break-ins are as varied as the totality of the motorcycles/scooters available. Some riders will place ultimate trust in the engineers who designed the bike or the marketing and lawyer-types who write the owners manuals. Others know that modern manufacturing techniques, with extremely precise machining and close tolerances (as compared to pre-1980's techniques) all but override the necessity to do much breaking-in. I just took delivery on my 2010 Versys a week ago. I exceeded the 4000 rpm rev limit briefly during my first ride (some 140 miles). I changed oil and filter (using a K&N filter and Rotella T6 full synthetic 5-40W oil) @ 275 miles.I offer the following link (I hope I can include it as a hot link, but if not, copy the address into your url) http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/NewBike.html I see that your handle includes a ktm. Do you still have a KTM? The Versys is my second bike. I also ride a 2001 KTM 640 Adventure that I acquired used in 2002. The Versys is so smooth compared to the thumper.
I hope you enjoy the bike and continue to ride safely
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have an 04 exc 250 I use it to get out with my chums and take my 2 boys riding one rides a xr 70 the other an xr 100

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 PM

95% of the breaking in is done in the first 50 to 80 km.

Make sure then engine is properly warmed up, then RILYSI.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 PM

"95% of the breaking in is done in the first 50 to 80 km."

+1 Then..Spank it like a 4 year old at Walmart.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Google search "Motoman Break in".

All your questions will be answered...not with opinion, but with facts (complete with pictures).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrider54 View Post
Google search "Motoman Break in".

All your questions will be answered...not with opinion, but with facts (complete with pictures).
+1 http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 AM

Garage
Hiiiiiiiiiiii

Touchy subject ...

LOP
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM

With my 650r and both of my father in law's versy's they were broken in to the book, but after having a few more motorcycles i've came to the conclusion that the break in period isn't so much about the motor than the learning process for new riders. I try to not rev my bike out like i would my sportbike, but i'm not going to baby it. After all i half to stay up with trafic.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I read "Moto Man's" stuff - on the way home from picking up my '08 V I had it near red-line and back many times. At 16,000 miles it runs fine and consumes little, if any, oil.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
cls

I've tried all kinds of break-in methods over many bikes and haven't noticed a lick of difference. These things are so high-tech, well-designed, and the materials are so modern, it just doesn't matter much. Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable w/it. The only common consensus is to vary the rpm's the first bit of the bike's life. Otherwise, just ride it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
I've tried all kinds of break-in methods over many bikes and haven't noticed a lick of difference. These things are so high-tech, well-designed, and the materials are so modern, it just doesn't matter much. Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable w/it. The only common consensus is to vary the rpm's the first bit of the bike's life. Otherwise, just ride it.
+1
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm one of the "Old School" guys that has been riding bikes since 1967. Those bikes needed some break in to allow the rings to seat properly. Tolerance specs were not as close as they are now. My understanding is that these motors are run up to high revs on a machine before leaving the factory to ensure they meet quality standards.
To each his own, but I would agree that break in is more for the rider to get used to the bike than worrying about the motor. Of course an extended warranty will always give you piece of mind too, and that is another thread altogether.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the input and I have started reving it out a little more. as well I figured out my mileage and have come up with 50 mpg for the first tank. I can sure live with that.

Buckshot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode