Microfiber cloths & Kerosene smell? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Microfiber cloths & Kerosene smell?

I just picked up a 36 pack of the yellow microfiber cloths at Costco this week. Last night I washed the bike and then cleaned the chain with Kerosene (in my garage). I had the package of microfibers on my washer inside. The laundry room is inside but is how you get to the garage. Naturally after cleaning my chain, the garage smelled of kerosene and therefore so did the laundry room a little bit.

So here's my issue: I washed all the microfibers this morning (after they had been sitting in the laundry room all night) and after washing them 5 times, they have a faint kerosene odor to them. Is it possible that they absorbed the kerosene smell from the laundry room? Or do these cloths come packaged with an odor similar to kerosene?

If they did lock in the kerosene odor, are they still safe to use on my bike (paint, windshield only)?

None of the cloths came within 20 feet of kerosene so there's no chance they got any on them. I'm just wondering if I ruined a perfectly good pack of microfibers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 PM

The kerosene smell could be in your own nose. After 12 years working with solvents daily and a short 3 year break I went back into the chemical industry. I only lasted 1 day...I simply could not get away from the smell when I went home. It was like I was carrying a 5 gallon pail of the stuff around my neck! I quit the job the next day and the smell went away in 3 days or so....it was terrible to not be able to breath "fresh" air.
Just my weird take on the smell. Air everything out and give it a few days.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Well, it could be but a friend of mine cane over this afternoon and I tossed one to him without telling him anything and had him smell it. It took him a second but then he said he thought they smelled like kerosene.

EDIT: Ok, scratch that...I just realized that I did actually wash a rag that had kerosene on it with the microfibers. The rag wasn't used to clean anything, but it was used to clean up a tiny spill, like maybe 3 or 4 drops the size of quarters. Now that I know that the microfibers were washed with kerosene, should I still use the microfibers for the paint and windshield on my bike??? My better judgement says no, I shouldn't chance it, but it's hard swallowing another $15 for new microfibers! Suggestions?

Last edited by jchristian79; 06-29-2010 at 08:08 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM

I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to wash microfiber with soap..or at least as little as possible, for them to retain their absorbent magic. I just soak mine in cold water and agitate em' a bit and them hang them out to dry.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 PM

I just use an old cut up tshirt, one for cleaning , one for drying---I don't see any scratches any where, except the windshield, but that is not from the cleaning as much as road and shed dings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I use old flannel sheets. They are super soft and produce a brilliant shine. (Try not "borrowing" the sheets from the marital bed, as this may lead to some spousal discontent.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 AM

If you dried your micro fibers in the dryer, the dryer may have pulled in some of the kerosene odor through its air intake and deposited the smell on the cloth. I once varnished a door near my clothes dryer, while it was drying my bath towels. My towels came out smelling like varnish and kept the smell for several days.

I've used kerosene as a tar remover on my car, with no ill effects on the paint.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 AM

If it was me i would use them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Me too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:14 PM

According to a few micro-fiber cloth manufacturers, before using it you should dip them in almost boiling water for 10 or 15 minutes. This assures the fibers are soften and clean, and be safely used on the front headlight glass and helmet viewer with no risk of scratching. I do that and had 0 problems so far.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM

I just throw them in the wash with the socks and such. They get better every time they're washed.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode