Laid her down - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laid her down

So, I've been trolling this forum for a while now, and regrettably this is my first post. Got my shiny '09 green Versys a couple of months ago and have been having a blast riding her around town and getting to know her. She's my first bike so I've been real nice to her. I was just about ready to take her in for the break-in service, when she decided to buck me off on my way to work this morning. I was taking a right turn at a reasonable speed and I think the combination of some gravel and cold tires led to me meeting the pavement. Thankfully, I was in my full riding gear (Tourmaster Intake Jacket and matching pants) so the only thing I got were some scrapes and bruises. The bike, however, is a little worse for wear. The aluminum bracket that attaches the foot peg is cracked. A couple of the body panels are scratched to hell. The rear brake line is either loose or broken. The rear brake lever is bent. And one of the mount points that holds the body panel to the side of the radiator is bent. No to mention a number of scratches on mirrors, handlebars, etc.. I have all the intention in the world to get her fixed up, I'm just loathing to see what the repair bill is going to be like. Anyone else out there go through similar crashes and know what kind of $$$ to expect? I'm hoping its not going to be one of these situations where the repair bill will be as much as the bike is worth... UGH!

Anyways.. here's to surviving my first crash relatively unscathed. Keep the rubber side down everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM

glad your ok
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Glad you're ok man....you can always fix the bike.

Since this is your first bike you might want to take the MSF class if you haven't already done so. It may not have helped in this case but it gives you great preparation for riding.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Msf

Yeah.. I took the class a few weeks before I got the bike. I totally agree that it was a valuable investment. Unfortunately, even the best training can't compensate for everything. The frustrating thing is that a guy on a Harley went through the same turn a few cars ahead of me, weaving through traffic and going much faster. I guess I could look at it altruistically in that its good it was me and not him since he was wearing a half helmet, shorts, and a t-shirt.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Your OK - that's all that matters - did the same thing a couple of years back on a suzuki with just a fairing scratch and directional torn off - but it was a different design (the engine casing buldged out) so it took the impact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Had an incident myself this morning. Low speed, gravel alley too much front brake. Avoided the head-on with the neighbor so that was nice. Front right turn signal $50, front right cowling $150, radiator cowling $50. Lovely way to start the day.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM

This is a close relatives bike, they totaled it out:

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 PM

This may be obvious, but this is what insurance is for. Hopefully, with a new bike, you had full coverage.

Get an damage estimate from your dealer or insurance company. I have on multiple occasions gotten a large check from the insurance company, only replaced what I thought needed replacing (doing my own labor), and ended up with money in my pocket.

Good luck!

Michael
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Glad you're all right!

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. At first glance, my reaction to Jake's picture was "Holy crap! That's what mine looks like!!", but then i noticed the big cracks in the cowling and the missing windscreen, etc.. and I calmed down a bit. I do have good insurance on it.. I would just hate for my rates to go sky high after crashing a brand new bike if I can get away with just a few hundred bucks in repairs. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight, so we'll see what they say. I'll post some pics when I get a chance too.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Here's the damage

Not too bad I guess, but certainly not something I wanted to do to my shiny new V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1181.JPG (72.8 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1184.JPG (65.0 KB, 183 views)
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Sounds like the same spill I took a while back. I replaced the footpeg bracket, mine cracked in half as well. Left everything else alone. I tell myself the scraped up fairing is a reminder to be more careful
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:02 PM

I did a similar thing. I was less lucky because I prevented a lot of bike damage using my body to cushion the impact. Dislocated shoulder (+ rotator cuff tear), fractured fibula, fractured ankle, etc.

If you don't mind keeping a few scratched things like bar end, hand brake lever, etc. you are probably under $500 in parts if you do the work yourself. All that stuff can be ordered online from an assortment of vendors and come all pre-painted (but sans decals..but you wanted to go naked anyway...right?) and ready to go. Provided you had no engine damage you should be fine.

If you have a shop do it the labor alone will kill you because of the way an estimate is formulated.

And you really wanted to replace those brake lines with braided lines anyway...right?

Add on a set of H&B or SW-Motech crash bars too so if there is a next time it will be less traumatic.

Jake: There must be damage I am not seeing in that photo. It doesn't look "that" bad to me. Someone got a good deal on that bike off salvage. Unless there is engine or frame damage I am not seeing.

Last edited by kimel; 06-29-2010 at 08:05 PM.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 PM

sucks

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquilBrute View Post
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. At first glance, my reaction to Jake's picture was "Holy crap! That's what mine looks like!!", but then i noticed the big cracks in the cowling and the missing windscreen, etc.. and I calmed down a bit. I do have good insurance on it.. I would just hate for my rates to go sky high after crashing a brand new bike if I can get away with just a few hundred bucks in repairs. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight, so we'll see what they say. I'll post some pics when I get a chance too.
Heck, you walk away from a bike crash of any magnitude, and you've come away good. t3h Internet and your own labor (even if you have to go buy a few new tools to do the work) will save you a ton. Watch eBay -- people crash their bikes and part them out, all the time.

If you do go the insurance route, generally speaking..... Comprehensive claims, (which sounds like yours might be) don't impact rates. In my state, it's actually illegal for an insurance company to hike rates as a result of a comp claim.

2011 Z1000 (FTW!)
2009 Versys (sold)
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Glad you guys are all Ok.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM

After dwelling on this all day I ordered a new turn signal (front right) from cheap cycle parts for +/- $50 and and am going to try to modify the radiator cowling with spraypaint (results to follow) and buy the new cowling for +/- $160. Lesson learned on my part. Long story short.....operator error. Glad you are realitively unscathed and hope your repairs are as minimal as mine. Cheers, Farmer
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Glad you're ok...I know the feeling...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 PM

P.S....Looking for a mint condition right fron cowling (green, of course) for an '09 to my door for $100!!!!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjai View Post
Heck, you walk away from a bike crash of any magnitude, and you've come away good.
+1. Glad to hear you're ok.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode