Brief clip of a fall ride in Appalachia... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Brief clip of a fall ride in Appalachia...

I'm still learning this camera and I have a very limited understanding of the editing software I'm using, so this clip has zero production value and just stops randomly, but it's a fun clip of the V on some twisties. Not sure why YouTube ate the quality on this one so much, I'll fiddle with encode settings, it's 1080p60. Should look great in full screen, but it kinda doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 AM

Not much twisties but the scenery is beautiful. I love the mountain country. Music stinks but it's just not my type. What camera are you using?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:29 AM

Garage
Looks fine in full screen other than the video is a little washed out which is a function of the auto iris/white balance on the camera.
What camera is it?
Maybe mix in some of the camera audio instead of just music.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to you both. Still tweaking white balance. Part of the issue is I use a chin mount, which means that it's looking down by default, too far down, so lifting the lens makes it gather a smidge too much light. No external mic available so all you hear is wind noise over ~50mph. This isn't the best section of road, it's just the first section of road from the ~30 minute ride, like I said, just fiddling.

Camera is a Xiaomi Yi with a custom script affecting everything from color saturation to bitrate, currently recording [email protected] It'll do 2k30 but I don't even have a 2k monitor.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
Thanks to you both. Still tweaking white balance. Part of the issue is I use a chin mount, which means that it's looking down by default, too far down, so lifting the lens makes it gather a smidge too much light. No external mic available so all you hear is wind noise over ~50mph. This isn't the best section of road, it's just the first section of road from the ~30 minute ride, like I said, just fiddling.

Camera is a Xiaomi Yi with a custom script affecting everything from color saturation to bitrate, currently recording [email protected] It'll do 2k30 but I don't even have a 2k monitor.
If you know where the Mic input is, get one of these: HOME OF THE ORIGINAL MICROMUFF TM I got one for my Contour and it makes a world of difference up to about 50-60MPH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

I do indeed know where it is. That's pretty cool and weird looking. Two things I prefer in everything I do.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 11:49 AM

Garage
Ah a little Rage Against The Machine to wake you up in the morning....
AdventureSeeker likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
I do indeed know where it is. That's pretty cool and weird looking. Two things I prefer in everything I do.
It's great. I will record a demo later today with my contour.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 04:26 PM

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 05:19 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 04:54 PM

Garage
Here's a run to 55 without the Micro Muff.

Here's a run to 55 with the Micro Muff.

There is still some wind noise because of where the wind is deflected by the screen, but it's a huge difference.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
If you know where the Mic input is, get one of these: HOME OF THE ORIGINAL MICROMUFF TM I got one for my Contour and it makes a world of difference up to about 50-60MPH.

Thats one hairy little muff....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Thats one hairy little muff....

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
There is still some wind noise because of where the wind is deflected by the screen, but it's a huge difference.
That is remarkable. I wonder...for my Yi, the camera stays inside a waterproof case, somewhat like a GoPro. There is no mic hole in the case, the mic is on top of the camera. What happens is that the shutter button is on top of the camera via a waterproof, springloaded button. I believe it's getting air sounds through that, which is way way not flat but also necessary to easily start/stop recording w/o having to use the app.

Does that make sense? I can take a pic.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
That is remarkable. I wonder...for my Yi, the camera stays inside a waterproof case, somewhat like a GoPro. There is no mic hole in the case, the mic is on top of the camera. What happens is that the shutter button is on top of the camera via a waterproof, springloaded button. I believe it's getting air sounds through that, which is way way not flat but also necessary to easily start/stop recording w/o having to use the app.

Does that make sense? I can take a pic.
It kinda makes sense, snap a couple pics for clarification.
The issue with what I call the "Go Pro Style" cameras that live in a case is that the case itself becomes a pickup for sound.
You could put the velcro circle for the Micro Muff around the shutter button and then attach the muff to it and still be able to work the button. Could be worth a shot for under $10.

For the Contour cameras, I've seen people put a fuzzy baby sock around the entire camera, just cutting out enough space to get the lens through and another cut on the side allowing access to the mounting points. That would look kinda dumb for a camera hanging off the chin of a helmet.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

See attached. The mic is actually under the retention clip but I think it's picking up air from the button still, but you're right it could just be general turbulence, that makes more sense.

imgur album

Also side question because I don't want to start a new thread---my "notifications" doesn't work for post quotes, says userlist.php isn't found. Anyone else seeing that?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
See attached. The mic is actually under the retention clip but I think it's picking up air from the button still, but you're right it could just be general turbulence, that makes more sense.

imgur album

Also side question because I don't want to start a new thread---my "notifications" doesn't work for post quotes, says userlist.php isn't found. Anyone else seeing that?
I see now.
I would get a small sock, cut appropriate holes to allow for mounting and lens protrusion and see if that makes a difference.
If it does make a difference, I would see about affixing small pieces of foam over the two buttons (this would still allow them to function) and see if the wind noise is reduced.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

That's a good idea. That may also mitigate the lens fogging I'm getting when it's cold out. I've got some anti-fog inserts and they work great but they're kind of a pain in the weiner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode