New to Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New to Versys

What a great forum! I recently googled Kawasaki Versys and I was amazed at the info on this site! I have ridden very little in the past . I just wrote my learners and I am signing up for a MSC,so I can get on the road. I checked a dealership out for a 2010 Versys and the are sold out and so is Kawasaki Canada!
I am 6'0,205lbs,32''inseam.At the age of 50,would people recommend this for a mature noob? As my first bike,what amount of down payment should I be putting down? Should I finance or pay out right? What do most people do ? I'll wait for the 2011 model. For snow comes early in the north! Does any one know what next years colors look like? Any advice for a complete noob ? I started purchasing a few required items it like a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 10.0 Jacket and Joe Rocket Hard Core Helmet. Does anyone have any experiences with these items. I am open to your opinions and insight.

I look forward to to reading your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 PM

That is a lot of questions for one post! But welcome!

It was my first bike at 52 and I am not quite as tall as you. I think it is a great first bike as it isn't stupid fast but has plenty of power to have fun. It is easy to ride and cheap to maintain. As for financing, you will have to figure that one out. I financed but it was because they gave me a great rate so I just paid it off in 9 months. I don't think we will know about 2011 colors for a few more months.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 PM

I am a 36 yr old newbie, and I love mine. I am 6' 265 lbs. and have about a 31 in inseam. I can put 3/4 of my foot on the ground at lights, so you should be fine. I did add the Motowerk foot peg lowering kit and painted my lowers black. Mine is financed, but payment would be an individual thing.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM

The versys would be great first bike in my opinion. Easy to ride and forgiving. Its also a fun bike to ride. It has enough power to do what you want to do, but not enough to get a noobie in trouble. being 250 (like me) the versys suspension is going to be really light for you. If you are new to riding you probably wouldnt notice the difference. The Brakes in my opinion are a little weak too.
If you were to ride the Ducati Multistrata, or BMW R1200gs would you realize why they are 2 times the price.But with it's faults, I cant't and couldn't think of a better bike to buy. I bought a used 09' for $5500 cash and would suggest you do the same. No need for new expensive one.- Just my humble opinion.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Welcome Rocketman

I know a dealer in Ont.(EDGE PERFORMANCE) they are online...had a couple 09's and a 2010 last week when I stopped in. But if you don't have all the cash, try a used one... I read on this site Dave E. was selling his, though am not sure if it's gone yet....you may be better off going used to save money and get the most bang for your buck...new ones are a bit pricey up here...though Quebec seems cheaper than anywhere else in Canada. Me thinks its a durable bike so a used one shouldn't be an issue if you use some due diligence. Got 3500k on mine since March...all pleasure....good fun...

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
I bought a used 09' for $5500 cash and would suggest you do the same. No need for new expensive one.- Just my humble opinion.
Not that it helps the OP, but leftover (new) 2009's can be had for that price OTD......wherever leftovers are sold ;-)

2011 Z1000 (FTW!)
2009 Versys (sold)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
&

Hope you get your V soon and enjoy the ride.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hi Rocketman, at 50 you are not much above the average age of a Versys rider on this forum, there was athread going around that you put your age and after some quick maths my figures come out at 44 was the av age. In my view the V is a great bike to start on but why don't you look for a good deal on a 2nd bike and see if you like it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode