Trackday on OEM tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trackday on OEM tires

Anyone tracked it with the stockers on? I'm doing a trackday next month. Not really too concerned about the dry grip. Worth it to upgrade to a better tire that day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Never did track on anything, matter of fact never visited a track, but we have Sepang F1 circuit nearby.

Anyway, i dumped the stock after 1k due to unsatisfactory handling. Using BT016- and sticks good in both wet and dry.

If you are doing track , better to have good tires,because that's what keeps you and the track separated.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 AM

IMHO depends if your happy with the stockers?
Did one track day on the stocks wasn't bad but since I switched to Michelin pilot road 2. Whole new experience

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Yes i've done trackdays on my previous bike (zx6r) on stock/new tires. The new tires did inspire confidence. That said the oem's only have 800 miles on them... would be at terrible waste.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 AM

Agreed. imho That it would be a waste. I guess it depends on how often you will be going to the track?

I got 7500mi outta the stocks but have allready gotten 12 000 mi out of the michelins and they still look pretty good (front, had to replace the rear about 3000mi ago due to a friggen nail that tore it up pretty good).

In my case the PR2 just inspired more confidence on the track than stock
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 PM

Trackdays don't have to be about going as fast as you can. They are great for working on skills such as looking through turns, holding a line, using reference points, practicing threshold braking, and learning throttle control.

The stock tires are adequate if you plan on running in the B group at a street pace or a bit higher. The danger is pure street tires aren't designed to run as hot as a track pace will get them. They will heat up faster than track tires, and the first two or three laps will be fine but if you push them hard (knee down through the turns and heavy trail braking) then you run the risk of overheating them and causing them to get greasy and slick.

The most important thing is that you have FRESH tires. Even tires designed for track use can have issues if they are old or have seen too many heat cycles.

If there is a shred of doubt in your mind, get new tires. The confidence they instill will help you enjoy your track time even more.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 PM

Depends how fast you go on the track.
I already push and tuck the front at spirited street speeds, so I definitely would not take the OEM tires on the track. I just replaced them and what a huge difference in handling. My fronts were pretty much slicks by 3k miles.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 AM

I vote for new tires. Nothing makes you more comfortable on the racetrack than good tires and suspension.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
did a two day on track with stockers front and pirelli strada on rear but rear end did do a small slip around tight corners twice?? not sure if it was somthing on track or tyre but was a very hot day (over 31 celcius)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode