Thx to everyone on this forum who indirectly helped me making this day a great one - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thx to everyone on this forum who indirectly helped me making this day a great one

Hi everyone,

Just arrived to my destination from a 500 mi (800km) ride and I really enjoyed the ride.

I have a lot to say but most likely some of us like short posts so here the short version first:
==
Modded my seat..Added USB plug and iPhone adapter to the dash to use as a GPS (copilot)..had a 500 miles ride..perfect sunny day..love my V even more! Thx to poeple of this forum!
==

Now, the long version:

My boss (and friend) told me 4 weeks ago that I had to go to Malvern, PA to meet our clients. Hmm, 500 miles..., should I take the easy way ; the taxi ride to the airport, the plane, rent a car an bang! everything done in the same morning in few hours, or, take the .35$ per kilometer and buy my favorite top case and rack and ... and go with the "V"?

Well, I took the "V" option (). However I was quite uncomfortable riding few miles each day just to go to work and back home with the stock seat. So I followed a great seat modification advice found on this forum that gave me the courage to go forward. So modified my seat 3-4 times but still not 100% satisfied. So here some pictures of the extra modification I made:

(Used a Dremel* with a tiny wire brush to carve into the seat. Worked like a knife in butter, but I had to use a vacuum while working to avoid a mess!)

The result: my but is pretty happy

Second, I was neither confortable taking the road without a GPS. I first downloaded Copilot on my iPhone hoping that the voice indication would be good enough and I could start using it just before getting lost to avoid draining the battery. Did not take long before I realized this plan was crap. The GPS voice guidance is just not there yet.

So again, I refered to pretty good posts on this forum to help me install a fused (5 amps) USB jack connected to the front light and hidden just below the left side of the tank (originally used double sided tape, but it did not stick more than one day, I finally tirapped the USB jack. Also bought and iPhone adapter for cars and used double sided tape to stick it on the dash. Surprisingly, the double sided tape (3M) made it through without any problem. I may revise that however (a small hole in the dash to hold the phone mount would be more appropriated.)

So, plugged my phone and installed it on the dash and started using it. What a difference! The GPS, when used normally (not relying on voice guidance only) worked like a charm and I did miss only one exit (my fault) and the GPS rerouted me without any problem (quite a surprise after reviewing complains on Apple Store).

Here a map of the trip from home to Malvern.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...m/untitled.JPG

Best part of the trip was the I-87 south (Adirondack), pavement almost like a pool table and the view is supperb! Once again I read that the I-87 was a nice road on another thread (montreal GP thread) and it convinced me that I had to take the "V".

An anecdot: After about 350 miles I was pretty tired, reflex were slower and decided to stop for lunch (@4pm- left home @ 730 am). After eating, I got a coffee and sat for a while to rest. During this moment, the most paradoxal "thing" or event happened nearby. A 1200GS rider just parked in front of my "V". His bike was same color and same luggage (plus he had the side boxes)! I have to me honest, my dream bike (a little too expensive for me however)! The guy got off his bike and looked at the "V" with apparently lot of interest for 2-3 minutes and seemed to be puzzled about it looking at the model name I guess. I wish I had this KMW logo on it and not the usual "kawasaki versys" stickers just to see his face I think the "V" scored a big point today, I realized that I like it a lot (despite its funny nose) and I'm slowly forgetting the BMW.

Here a photo of my "little beast" just after that moment:

Pretty sexy in this position! Got the Trax box and bag from twisted throttle. They gave me a very good after sell service. The first box I received was kinked and they sent me a new one quickly (just in time for my departure).

So just a big thx to everyone that indirectly helped me make this day a success (with their great posts)!

*The Dremel is a gift from my mother in law who bought that after following foot care courses and freaked out when she saw the feet of her first client. Sorry no pictures of the feet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
too for been very thoughtful to share your ride with us.

Do enjoy your days with the V and do post pictures of your ride.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good ride!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 AM

My friends that don't ride....just don't get it. However, once they go on just one epic ride....they are bitten by the bug. Congrats on the ride!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Nice! I have yet to exceed the 100 mi. mark on my V, but a longer trip is in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode