Quebec to implement photo radar - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quebec to implement photo radar

If anyone rides in Quebec a heads up as they are implementing photo radar and red light cameras across the province. Published maps only show the location of permanent red light cameras and not mobile photo radar.

https://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/en/radars...outaouais.aspx

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...t-surveillance

"The zones under surveillance (with mobile photo radar) will be clearly marked, officials said, except for school zones, which will be monitored on a random basis with no warning."

Last edited by twowheels; 10-02-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:09 AM

Garage
I was in Canada a couple weeks ago. Everyone warned me to maintain the speed limit, which I did. Everyone, including 1/2 of the semi trucks passed me.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I was in Canada a couple weeks ago. Everyone warned me to maintain the speed limit, which I did. Everyone, including 1/2 of the semi trucks passed me.
Don't know which part of canada you were in but, here in Quebec, the social climate is less than ideal
The goverent has being cutting expenses big time for all the goverment worker
So
Police officer have a tendencies to be very zelous in the application of the law, and this has repercution on driver of all vehicule

I've never being so "law following" as far has driving code is concern than these last 2 year (or so) ...

Very stresssfull that ****ty political climate

Has for the photo radar, well apparently things have improve greatly in the past 6-7 year (introduction of photo radar), from around 2000+ death a year to less that 700 last year ...
Shure their must be some statistic manipulation of some sorts, but still, way less than half

LOP

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quebec.... What ELSE can you say...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 03:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quebec.... What ELSE can you say...?

After having lived in Toronto for 8 years, I can get behind this statement. Though I did fall in love with Montreal.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 02:37 PM
djg

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
After having lived in Toronto for 8 years, I can get behind this statement. Though I did fall in love with Montreal.
I lived in Montreal from '74 to '79, when Rene Levesque became Premier, then referred to me (and other english speaking Quebekers) as "maudit anglais".

I moved across the border into Eastern Ontario, but STILL flew out of Dorval Airport, (till '88 when I returned to Alberta.......), so, because of his remark I earned all my $ in Quebec, but paid ALL my income taxes to Canada and Ontario...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 03:31 PM
djg

When I was at P&W school in Montreal, the locals said the real hardcore is in Quebec City.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 AM

photo radar has to post locations for the week in the local newspaper.. if you watch where they are for the day, you usually can avoid a ticket and it also helps you identify the units so you know what to look for if they move for part of the day.... In Edmonton they have three times more stoplight camera boxes than the actual cameras... so there's a 2 in 3 chance you won't get a red light ticket there as well....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:57 AM

Quebec to implement photo radar

It seems to me if you don't break the law you shouldn't have to worry about these stop light cameras. So what's the big deal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
It seems to me if you don't break the law you shouldn't have to worry about these stop light cameras. So what's the big deal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
An issue that happens up here in Canuckistan w/ "stop light cameras" is that they take a pic as the light turns red, and IF you were the guy waiting to get across (while it was green), but it turns red while you're STILL in the intersection - TICKET CITY....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:10 PM

I am surprised at the mobile photo radar....given that it was used in Ontario in and around 1994 and was eventually thrown out by the court challenges..... If the folks in Montreal want to push it...precedent has been set in Ont. that it is entrapment and there was no proof of who was driving the vehicle (tickets are to drivers not owners). I also remember friendly truckers pulling up right behind and in front of the parked units, the OPP used mini vans, and sitting there blocking their cameras/radar for hours
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I would imagine that with photo radar, just as with red light camera, the vehicle gets the ticket, not the driver. This means there are no demerit points on your license like a regular speeding ticket, but you still have to pay the ticket or not be able to renew your vehicle registration.

My personal experience has been that police in Nova Scotia and Quebec to a lesser extent, are a lot more vigilant in patrolling for speeders than in Ontario, at least here in the Ottawa valley. By that I mean the number of road patrols for speeders was exponentially higher, particularly in Nova Scotia. Their favorite tactic there was to drive down a winding back road with low traffic flow and catch you going the opposite direction, you were on them, before you could slow and they seemed like they were on every back road constantly. They would also ticket you for 10km over. By contrast, in the rural Ottawa valley they seem to confine their traffic patrols to the main traffic arteries. They also seem more concerned with getting bad drivers than the 10km over drivers which they mostly ignore. Still 50km over in Ontario gets you a license suspension (not sure if its 6 months or 2 years), vehicle impounded, and DUI insurance rates when you get your license back.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-04-2015 at 05:43 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 PM

E07 rear tire_ no tail fender = mud on your plate, no picture, no problem. It's a no brainer.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Garage
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
E07 rear tire_ no tail fender = mud on your plate, no picture, no problem. It's a no brainer.
It's a no brainer until they ticket you for an obscured or in my case the plate was just as dirty as my car.
In Chicago they declare that it was "all for the children", but then complained that they did not generate the revenue that was promised.

On the other hand we have had a bunch of speed cameras turn up in some of the strangest areas, like industrial parks miles from schools & playgrounds. I have also been detained & questioned for driving 20 mph in school zones .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
photo radar, quebec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode