MPG---ok I give up. What gives? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MPG---ok I give up. What gives?

First I am a big guy. Second I had the scoot loaded pretty good but well within capacity.

My scoot has a pc3, 43tooth sprocket and a full arrow exhaust. When I ride the back roads and gravel roads I usually get 40-44ish. But as a rule I get approx. 40 mpg on a day to day basis. Between Friday night and yesterday I put just shy of 900 interstate miles on. I used all three grades of gas and used the throttle lock. I basically rode I80 East to West and then back through Iowa. So the wind issue should be some what negated.
I varied my speed on different tanks for the entire tank. Any where from 65 to 85mph. I got between 29 and 33 consistently. My gps show 103 miles for every 100 on the odo. and 2 mph lower than the speedo. The math was done in my head so the mpg were not exact but I work with numbers a lot so they better be close. As far as I know I have the original plugs. I bought the scoot with 2500 miles on it and it now has five something (with out looking). I keep seeing these posts with all the high MPG's listed while riding high speed. I have cleaned the air filter (was not dirty), tires were 2psi over book. Now I am not trying to get 100 mpg. but 40 to 45 on the hwy sure would beat the crap out of 29-33. I also have Mikes touring shield.
Help me out.
What do I have wrong besides the weight thing.
Thanks,
Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:50 PM

Maybe the PC3 is tuned REALLY Pig-Rich and tapers off too late?!

I have seen this in cars a time or two, where the tuner tries to incorporate some safety into the tune (for turbo cars) and ends up stiffling power instead of finding a balance.

My stock tune and exhaust '09 V gets about 45 mpg consistently with my 44t and a stock windscreen. I just installed my Mike's GT Touring and I better not see 30 something mpg!!

Also, I weigh ~240lb + gear and the V46 top case...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Well it is supposed to have the suggested programming for the full arrow exhaust. I guess I need to hook it up and make sure it does. I wonder if I could just unhook the pc3 and run a tank through it and see what happens. Seems to me someone wrote on here that it would make it too lean and damage the valves or some thing. Ok time to read the dyno jet book.

Thanks for the reply.

I will post what I find out.

Ride em if ya got em!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM

I get 40-45 mpg. Have a large windscreen, Givi hardbags and top case, cruise at about 70-75 mph. my weight is 175. Funny thing, my last 4 bikes, all different displacements all have gotten about the same mileage. Guess its alot about how you ride. I would suspect the new black box going rich tho in this case. Better than lean tho so you din't go BOOM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Well that was easy. The map on the scoot matches the suggested map perfectly. M228-003. If I remember correctly @70 mph it was approx. 5100 rpm. looking at the map it seems to me that they are adding a lot of fuel in this range. I have no idea about the percent of throttle. Does any yone know if I can safely dial this down without doing any harm?
Thanks,
Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr302 View Post
I get 40-45 mpg. Have a large windscreen, Givi hardbags and top case, cruise at about 70-75 mph. my weight is 175. Funny thing, my last 4 bikes, all different displacements all have gotten about the same mileage. Guess its alot about how you ride. I would suspect the new black box going rich tho in this case. Better than lean tho so you din't go BOOM.

Thanks dwr302 for the reply. I am a slow typist. Please see post above this one.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Tinner
You probably don't need any more comparison data, but here's mine anyway: I've got a stock 09 V, 1800 miles, MikeShields GT screen. I ride mostly back roads in western NJ at 40-60 mph, with occasional runs down I-78 at 65-85 mph. I don't know whether I get better mileage at higher speed on the interstate, but I'd guess not. On the backroads, I keep rpm in the 4000-6000 most of the time, in 4th or 5th gear. On the interstate, I'm in 6th gear running 6000-8000 (whatever it takes to keep up with traffic and not get run over by the trucks).

With all that, I get 50 mpg most of the time. As much as 51.4. Once 49.8.

I read once that best mileage from an engine viewpoint was at max torque rpm. If you're running much higher rpm than that, then mileage probably suffers.

Perhaps someone on the forum can give data on their mileage when running mostly at 80 mph or so.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks scottyneal,

I think I am going to remove the pc3 and the Arrow exhaust and see what a stock setup does. I will leave the 43 tooth on as it should only help the mpg.

Have a Great evening.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:58 PM

I don't have a PC or aftermarket exhaust, but here is something to compare to when you go back to stock configuration.

I did 350 miles on Friday, mostly, on some of the twistiest roads around here (Mt. St. Helens loop), so other than on any longish straight where I short shift, it's spinning at about 7K RPM and wide open throttle coming out of the curves. Stock engine with a 16T CS sprocket, upside-down OE windshield and no bags installed - averaged 50 MPG.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post
Well that was easy. The map on the scoot matches the suggested map perfectly. M228-003. If I remember correctly @70 mph it was approx. 5100 rpm. looking at the map it seems to me that they are adding a lot of fuel in this range. I have no idea about the percent of throttle. Does any yone know if I can safely dial this down without doing any harm?
Thanks,
Bob
I won't say one way or the other without hard data like a wideband A/F meter or something. If you were to make a one or two point change in the 20 and 40% columns below 4000, I think you would be safe. Its when you really start getting on it, like over 6K, when Air Fuel Ratios (AFR) will be super crucial due to timing being advanced....

dwr302 said it best though.... it may about how you drive...possibly. I can get about 26 mpg in my 4000lb, 300hp car if I drive it nice!

Also, I have been looking for an Arrow/PC3 kit so let me know if you decide to go another route in the future! Hope you get it working to your liking as is though!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post
Thanks,
Bob
That is a hell of a lot of fuel added at 10 to 40% throttle opening, above 4000 rpm as when you're cruising the freeway. That +34% fuel at 20% throttle and 6000 rpm for example surely has a substantial impact on mpg, beside the upright mounted Mike's touring shield... I leaned back my 16.5" tall Mike's shield as much as I could by cutting the brackets, which also cured the buffeting.

Last edited by invader; 06-28-2010 at 03:19 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM

I was getting in the mid 40s at 22,000 miles. After having my valves adjusted it looks like I am back into the 50s. The engine revs smoother now. Could valves that were too tight reduce gas mileage.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Just posted 52 with mostly highway and 30% stop and go - 7k on the bike, large windscreen and saddles. Highway speed mostly 70 (posted 74, 75)...I do put in 93 octane however (to try and offset the **** ethanol additives)

Foo Fighter Rider
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I don't have a PC or aftermarket exhaust, but here is something to compare to when you go back to stock configuration.

I did 350 miles on Friday, mostly, on some of the twistiest roads around here (Mt. St. Helens loop), so other than on any longish straight where I short shift, it's spinning at about 7K RPM and wide open throttle coming out of the curves. Stock engine with a 16T CS sprocket, upside-down OE windshield and no bags installed - averaged 50 MPG.

Gustavo
It has been a while since I have looked at the ratio charts but isn't that 16 tooth about the same as dropping two in the rear? What do you have on the back? How do you like the height of the gearing?

Thanks,
Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

dwr302 said it best though.... it may about how you drive...possibly. I can get about 26 mpg in my 4000lb, 300hp car if I drive it nice!

Also, I have been looking for an Arrow/PC3 kit so let me know if you decide to go another route in the future! Hope you get it working to your liking as is though![/QUOTE]

Part of post removed by me.

That is why I kept the throttle lock on. There was very little twisting of the throttle except while getting on the I from the on ramp.

It has been my plan from day one to remove both of these items before my trip to Ak. next year. I have just been having waaaayyyyy to much fun with this little scoot. Kind of re living my child hood days.
This weekend has been the first interstate riding I have done with it and I am just totally taken back by the mpg.

Before you go and buy any where else we will need to talk.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That is a hell of a lot of fuel added at 10 to 40% throttle opening, above 4000 rpm as when you're cruising the freeway. That +34% fuel at 20% throttle and 6000 rpm for example surely has a substantial impact on mpg, beside the upright mounted Mike's touring shield... I leaned back my 16.5" tall Mike's shield as much as I could bu cutting the brackets, which also cured the buffeting.
That is exactly what I am talking about. 34% more than the OEM. Holy Moly. But i do not have a clue as to where my throttle is at that time. I have not noticed any buffeting with my shield.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I was getting in the mid 40s at 22,000 miles. After having my valves adjusted it looks like I am back into the 50s. The engine revs smoother now. Could valves that were too tight reduce gas mileage.
I am sorry! I do not know the answer to this but my guess is yes it could simply because of the delay in opening.

But I can sell you some oil that would oh never mind...lol

Have a great night!

Ride em if ya got em!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa714 View Post
Just posted 52 with mostly highway and 30% stop and go - 7k on the bike, large windscreen and saddles. Highway speed mostly 70 (posted 74, 75)...I do put in 93 octane however (to try and offset the **** ethanol additives)
I can only think of two words.

"bite me" lol I am both kidding and jealous. Ethanol sucks and I avoid it like the plague. How ever I think in Ia. it is all at least 10%. That is only my thinking and it could be mistaken.
Have a Great night.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 PM

I continue to get good mileage from the bike. The fueling is spot on. Doesn't run lean, doesn't overheat, smooth power from idle to 8000rpm (after than it starts to fall off).

I suppose one might get a few more ponies out of the engine if it were tweaked a bit, but I wouldn't expect more than 4 or 5 horse gain with a slip on and a PowerCommander (at the very most).

I'm inclined to leave mine stock, twist the throttle to the stop, and ride it like a stole it.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Tinner,
I average about 44-46 riding around here, bit will actually be heading to Westby on friday the 2nd, stopping at the Rod&Gun
Will be leaving on Saturday to drive back even thought the ex-brother in law wants me to stay a day, little uncomfortable, but i've got other made plans and don't want to be traveling on the 4th.
I'll be on a fast green one!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode