Motowerk Lowering Kit installation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motowerk Lowering Kit installation

I'm planning to install my lowering kit tomorrow. I will also be lowering the front suspension and installing the flatfoot.

What is the best way for me to jack up the bike? The instructions suggest 2 car jacks, but I only have one car jack. I do have a come-along winch. I am looking for suggestions that are safe for both me and my bike.

Also, I plan to use a hacksaw on my sidestand. I was wondering if there are any recommendations here as well. I assume that I cut it off flush, then clean up the cut a bit.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnixcolorado View Post
I'm planning to install my lowering kit tomorrow. I will also be lowering the front suspension and installing the flatfoot.

What is the best way for me to jack up the bike? The instructions suggest 2 car jacks, but I only have one car jack. I do have a come-along winch. I am looking for suggestions that are safe for both me and my bike.

Also, I plan to use a hacksaw on my sidestand. I was wondering if there are any recommendations here as well. I assume that I cut it off flush, then clean up the cut a bit.

Thanks!
I had 2 extra people and did the following:

Wrapped a heavy stick with a rag and stuck it through the rear will so that 2 people could grab the stick with one hand, the trellis with the other and lift. One person on each side of the bike. The rags kept the wheel rim from getting scratched.

Had person number 3 slide a jackstand under each driver footpeg taking care not to hit the brake pedal or shift lever. Also used rags on the stands to prevent scratches on the bottom of the footpegs.

This bike is light and it took little effort to lift it up.

Good luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:15 PM

Used a front chock and tied down the front end, then just jacked it up on the underside leaving the front tire on the ground.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 AM

@ Jake: is that you in the video which is in your signature. That crazy SUV driver!

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I did mine with a car jack under the exhaust with a piece of wood.

place the car jack at the edge of the exhaust and not the centre. No problem as you just need to lift the wheel off the ground a little only.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 AM

If you have help, CapnKirk has a good approach. If by yourself, as I was, suggest you make sure the bike is always very stable, as Speedy suggests. My approach: block the front wheel front and back. Tie off each side of the V so that it will not move sideways - front and back. Remove lower cowling. Put a small piece of wood under the motor and place a jack under the wood (I used a small floor jack). Jack up the V until the rear wheel just leaves the ground. Remove the nut from the shock mount. Slowly lower the jack to relieve the pressure on the shock bolt. Carefully pressing on the threaded end of the bolt while lowering the jack will tell you when the bolt is free to be removed. Stop the jack, remove the bolt, install the lowering block on the bike. Again, carefully, slowly lowering the bike while lining up the shock bolt thru the lowering block will allow you to slip the bolt thru easily, without stressing the bolt threads. Leave all nuts loose at this point. Slowly lower bike until lowering block rests lightly on face of swinging arm. Install the stainless cap screw thru the lowering block, do not tighten.
At this point, remove jack and tighten all bolts.

Hope this was not too lengthy. Good luck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM

I used a Dremel tool with the cutoff wheel to cut my kickstand, while the bike was tied off and stable. Suggest you make the first cut less than Speedy suggests, install the flatfoot and try it. Hopefully, it will be a little long. Cut again, try again; until you're happy with the length. Do not cut more than 1/4" at a time. I was happy with a little less "lean" than it originally had. The flatfoot helps a lot to stabilize the bike when parking.

A hacksaw will work, but will take awhile, and probably be a little frustrating to get at the kickstand. If you use the hacksaw, might be best to just remove the kickstand to cut it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 PM

I used 2 tension straps (the ones with a crank). Put them under each foot peg bolt near the bike and then over a ceiling joist. Lifted the bike a little at a time on each side so the bike remains stable.

Worked great.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, gents. Everything is installed. I used the tension straps to lift the bike. The hooks on mine fit perfectly on the frame cross bar that is under the seat. I also used the dremel to cut off the end of the stand.
I am no longer a farkle virgin!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnixcolorado View Post
Thanks, gents. Everything is installed. I used the tension straps to lift the bike. The hooks on mine fit perfectly on the frame cross bar that is under the seat. I also used the dremel to cut off the end of the stand.
I am no longer a farkle virgin!
Congrats! You found a method that worked!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode