Radiator boiling-fan problem? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Radiator boiling-fan problem?

New owner of a used 08. How often should the fan be coming on? I have yet to hear it. It's been really hot lately and I've heard the coolant boiling in the radiator and actually lost some fluid(first ride after coolant top off) but have not had any warning lights. Am I going to have to remove the fan to test it, or can it be done on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 PM
naz

mine starts every 10 minutes in traffic jam in environmental temps about 35 celsius.when i find open roads it never triggers.i ve heard the cooling fluid boiling some times when i switch off the engine while the fan is on.it expands violently because of a temporal temp spike.you have never heard your fan working? maybe you have a defect thermostat but i think it would trigger the fi light.recently i changed the coolant fluid after almost two years.it was in bad shape because of the thermal cycles.kawa suggest to change it every three years.i believe in hotter environments it should be done more often.its a simple procedure and the cost is very low.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
the only time i ever heard my fan come on was after a 700 mile trip. put the bike in the garage and a little while later heard a strange noise. yep it was the fan just when i was starting to think it didn't work.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 PM

If you over fill your radiator then you should have some over flow.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 PM

A friend of mine has the coolant boiling problem on his 09 Ninja 650n. He took it back to the dealer and they replaced the head gasket. So far so good for him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 AM

Remove and clean your radiator cap, and reinstall... or get a new one. It's likely the problem. Don't worry, it is extremely unlikely that it's your head gasket.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:00 AM

+1, radiator cap. I've read of several cases of this problem, both here and on the UK forum. New cap solves it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Mine is doing the same thing. It is not a problem. Here in Alabama it had been in the high 90's daily and when I shut down, I here the water circulating. I did a complete cooling system flush about 6 weeks ago and have had zero problems. If you lift the hood on your car immediately after driving you will hear the coolant circulating.

To God be the glory.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Since I don't typically ride in sub freezing weather, and my bike stays inside my heated and cooled shop, I usually end up running distilled water and Water Wetter. It cools better than anti freeze. If I ever get a wild hair up my rump and decide to do a track day with the V, I'd have that done.

I've not done it yet as I'm not having any cooling issues. On the contrary. The bike runs cooler than the last several I've owned.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 AM

I noticed after riding for 7 hours or so with the last few hours riding in nothing but heavy fog and rain that there was water and I think coolent flowing off the radiator. This concerned me so just to be sure (I was a 1,000 miles from home,Nova Scotia)I had a mechanic look at it. He used a heat sensor to measure the temp of the hoses, and different parts of the radiator. He check the temp when before the fan came on and the temp after the fan came on and went off. He also called Kawasaki to make sure the temp were in spec and they were. He checked for leaks and there were no signs of leaks at all any where? He took off the cowlings to see the coolent fluid tank and the level was perfect. (Without taking off the cowling it looks like the coolent level is very low, this is what concerned me.)So what did I see flowing off the radiator with the water? Still is a mystery. Anyway the red heat light never came on and the bike has also run perfectly always before and after this ordeal. For what it is worth
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies. I finally heard the fan come on today and am having no problems with overheating. I really love this bike!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
good to hear it all going well
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM

I heard mine try to kick on after the temp warning light came on. The fan made a horrible grinding noise, then the fault indicator light (FI) came on and stays on. The fan is DEAD, and the cheapest price to replace is $309.00. This after 10000 miles of mainly highway riding in the cool mountains. I will get rid of this bike now.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 AM

I wouldn't get rid of the bike Alpharat. Parts wear out or sometimes have problems. It might be that you were always riding in cooler temperatures and that the fan never kicked on before this. Might be a warranty fixable option? Unless you want a different bike, I would just replace the fan.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 AM

When I climbed Mt. Washington on the V the coolant was boiling in the radiator at the top, the fan was working but the system is just a bit small under some extreme heat. The bike didn't overheat, but the coolant was at the end of its ability to cool. I replaced the coolant after two years of use and the problem never came back.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharat View Post
I heard mine try to kick on after the temp warning light came on. The fan made a horrible grinding noise, then the fault indicator light (FI) came on and stays on. The fan is DEAD, and the cheapest price to replace is $309.00. This after 10000 miles of mainly highway riding in the cool mountains. I will get rid of this bike now.
I just had the same symptom as you ... the fi light will probably read a fault code 56 ... which simply means you blew a 15amp mini fuse under the seat ... replace it and the fi light will go off ... in my case it didn't totally solve the problem ... I had a small peable get wedged between the fan and the radiator which wouldn't allow the fan to turn ... thus frying the fan motor ... I found a used one on ebay delivered to my door for $30.00 ... while I'm waiting for it to arrive I am driving the bike without a fan ... I just shut off the bike if I'm in a stopped situation ... once moving ... ( providig air flow through the radiator ) the fan is not needed anyway ... in your case ... I'm suspecting that once you replace your fuse ... ( probably popped because you have a issue with the fan motor ) ... you will also need a motor ... keep in mnid that the ninja 650 2007 vintage uses the same mounting as the versys ... the newer ninja probably use the same motor ... however the mounting is different ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode