Have you ever? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever?

Have you ever completely F’d up a motorcycle Farkel project to the point where you just want to rip it off your bike and run it over with your truck?
Sure, it all starts off great. The bike is sitting in the garage and you log on to the internet to find all those little goodies that you can add to jus t make it perfect. You seek, identify, and ask questions. Then you work hard, scrimp & save, and damn sure don’t tell the wife until she hands you your package with that “Seriously?” look on her face. “Well I’m gonna go shopping too!” she exclaims. “Sure honey, I’ll just be in the garage” you say with that smirk on your face.
You open the box and remove the tape and bubble wrap with the same delicate care you would use holding a new born. Ahhhh….Just look at it! Shiny and new, perfect just as you’d hoped. It smells good doesn’t it? Smells like bike parts which is something all men should experience.

Relax…grab a coke…have smoke if you like. Now let’s get to work:

Instructions: Umm…..they’re in German? What? “Never mind!” you exclaim with annoyance, there are pictures, “I’ll just figure it out.”
We’re not going to [email protected]$$ anything here are we? Nope! Calm, cool, collected we work and get it all put together.

Time for a test: Hummm? “It’s slipping, and that is rubbing on that” you say to yourself with a puzzled look.

Time to log on to the internet: “ …. I had to buy a __ …Just drill a hole in__ …you need to file…. It worked Great!” –“Now I have plan” you say whilst doing all the on-the-fly Engineering calcs in your head.
Now it’s off to the hardware store to buy $20.00 worth of stuff they don’t have; that you do, but can’t find. Please accept the fact that what you bought won’t work, you won’t use it, and it’s too much of a pain in the @$$ to return, so you’ll just end up keeping it.

Implement the solution: Remember, no [email protected]$$’n anything! Measure thrice…center punch….drill a pilot hole….drill…drill…SNAP! “UHT-OH”…Wha Happon? Well…it just so happens that your pilot drill broke off completely flush with the material that you were drilling. To further complicate matters, your hole needs to go exactly where you measured 3 (adjective here)times for it to be. Sorry, it can’t go up, and it can’t go down. And no, it can’t go left or right. It has to go right (adjective here) there. Right were we have a freshly broken drill bit.
“This God ___ (adjective here)German piece of __ “ you growl.

Get out the pliers: …Mar…gouge…scratch. “ That’s ok, it’ll be cover by the__.” But you still can’t get it out. (Need a pointy thing) “Where is the?....I’ll just use the Awl.” Hummm….? Awl not working, need a hammer.
tap..tap..tap. Bang, Bang.Bang! Awl is no longer useable for any further purpose built projects. Now in junk drawer. You finally find the drift punch you couldn’t find that made you use the awl that’s now bent which happened to be right behind the rear tire all along.
Bang..Bang…Bang. Whack! You now have a dent that won’t be covered by the __. “
This God ___ (adjective here)German piece of __ “ you growl once again.

Finally! After an hour and a half you get it out. You drill the next hole and bolt it on. “[email protected]#%! Wasn’t that a pain in the @$$?” you say to yourself.
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you still have the other side to do you poor Bastard.

Measure thrice…center punch….drill. “Um? How do I get a drill in there with that in the way?” you say to yourself (puzzled once again.)

Time to log on to the internet: “…Just get a__ …. use a self-tapping__ …you need to take off_ it worked Great!” – “now I have a plan” you say with trepidation.
With the specter of side A still fresh in your mind, you proceed on Side B with all due caution. CAREFUL..drill CAREFULL..drill CAREFUL..snap.

-Broke off flush didn’t it chief?

Let’s revisit:
Get out the pliers: …Mar…gouge…scratch. “That’s ok, it’ll be covered by the__”
Bang..Bang…Bang. Whack! You now have scratch that won’t be covered by the __. “
This God ___ (adjective here)German piece of __ “

Then the wife pulls into the driveway just as you are finishing. After spending all of your remaining money at the mall, she says “How’s it going?” Gazing back at your marred, gouged, and scratched freshly farkeled Taco Wagon; you say ….“fine.”

Last edited by flienlow; 06-26-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Sounds much like my projects... what were you installing?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

This was loosely based (but not limited to) my install of Sw-Motech crash bars with Rivco Footpegs.A project where I meant to do the very best but ended up with a marginal result.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

You're not alone! We've all been there, and probably will go there again!

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 PM

I have taken to paying the dealer to do the things I would screw up. No marks, dings or scratches... but it can be costly...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Post of the year so far.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersysLuvah View Post
I have taken to paying the dealer to do the things I would screw up. No marks, dings or scratches... but it can be costly...
Wow, you must have the only dealer in the world capable of that kind of work! I wouldn't let my dealer change the oil; they would find a way to f that up.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 08:47 PM

LOL! This describes much of my experiences over the last 10 years with cars, trucks, bicycles and now...motorcycles!

Thanks for making my night and reassuring me that I'm not alone!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Not so much on my kawi's as it was on my cbr, It seems like every piece of the honda was engineered by gods, except for the plastics. I couldn't take it apart without breaking something else, a tab, a hook, a little piece that holds 12 things onto the bike.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
i myself put on the hugger footpegs grips handguards and givi windshield and luggage rack plus stainless chain guard. that about my limits the rest i took to my dealership and was surprised by the reasonable rate they charged if it took an hour they charged an hour if it was a half hour thats what they charged. i have always been treated fair by my dealership honda kawasaki west in ft.worth

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
Post of the year so far.
+10
Gets my vote...My H&B bars went on perfectly...Well almost, well kind of...Till I over torqued the side mount bolt and it broke off...flush ...And that was just the bars...Don't even ask me how I scratched the crap out of my tank

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 PM

Three letters and two words fix this dilema. "OEM parts only"
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
"OEM parts only"
= Boring

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 04:51 AM

I agree bigaussie, I love the aftermarkets I have installed thus far. Can't say enought good things about the Speedy's products, aka Motowerks. Fit and finish excellent, and not hard to install. But I do agree with the costs, its easy to turn a bargain bike into a money pit! So far not my case, but I am being conservative thus far. My total investment in the Versys is roughly 6500.00, and I can't complain about that!

My Album:
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
You're not alone! We've all been there, and probably will go there again!
+10. That's the way it goes for most of us, but we still love doing it.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 06:43 AM

Yep and on my truck too. I remember a few months ago I ordered a set of nerf bars for my truck from Lund. They claimed "EASY INSTALLATION" and "NO DRILLING REQUIRED", and they were $100 less than the OEM ones. Well, I get them, the first thing in the instructions "DRILL A HOLE..." turned out you needed to drill like 16 holes in the body, plus holes in the bars on and one. Instructions had small black and white pics, it was a joke. After dicking with them for over 2 hours trying to figure out where the holes needed to go I just packed them up and ended up shipping them back and ordering the OEM ones which came with bolt on brackets and everything fit perfect. It was an expensive lesson.

I still have a few farkles for a variety of bikes in the garage I gave up on due to poor quality or just too much a PITA to install to be worth it.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Amazing, flienlow, your senarios are like deja vu, and I too have the scratches to prove it...my wife reminds me to make sure that I have the garage doors closed now!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post

LOL! This describes much of my experiences over the last 10 years with cars, trucks, bicycles and now...motorcycles!

Thanks for making my night and reassuring me that I'm not alone!
OH THANK YOU, THANK YOU
I am not alone, I am not alone.

lol

Ride em if ya got em!
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Hey the farkles are fun. One of the reasons I went with the V was that there so many add-ons available.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
Measure thrice…center punch….drill a pilot hole….drill…drill…SNAP! “UHT-OH”…Wha Happon? Well…it just so happens that your pilot drill broke off completely flush with the material that you were drilling. To further complicate matters, your hole needs to go exactly where you measured 3 (adjective here)times for it to be. Sorry, it can’t go up, and it can’t go down. And no, it can’t go left or right. It has to go right (adjective here) there. Right were we have a freshly broken drill bit.
Ok so it wasn't a drill bit and it wasn't on a bike, but I was installing a lock on a kitchen cabinet door today. I predrilled the hole for the screw that would hold the bracket on the inside of the door, exactly where it needs to be. I was turning the screw in, tightening it snug and then SNAP! The screw broke off in the hole. That hole was EXACTLY where I needed it to be. I shouted in frustration.

My wife walks in, sees what happens and says "Isn't that what that story was about last night..." You see, I had her read this just so she could understand what we go through!

I just found it quite ironic that the day after I read this, it happens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode