First Interstate Ride.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Interstate Ride..

Well I broke the 500 mile mark with a Jaunt down the interstate today. not far about 27 miles or so, just a different way home that leads to some awesome curvy country roads for the last 10 miles or so.

I bow my head in face of defeat as my major complaint about vibes seems to slowly be evaporating, as many of you said they would as miles accumulated. The joy buzzer in the seat and bars that showed up at around 5200 rpms or so has tuned down to a relatively mild tingle at this point. However it seems to have moved up the RPMS to the 6k rpm range now. I feel , like the vibes in the 5k range, the more time I spend up there, the better it will get.

The bike seems to have no issue accelerating in top gear to pass, etc within reason. Didn't seem to get blown around much. What I did get blown around I contribute to my bulky winter riding gear that catches much more wind. I lost a lot of weight the last 16 months, so my gear fits kinda loose and catches turbulence pretty easy. I need to get tighter fitting gear anyway for safety.

Suspension seems to be softening a tad.. However the tires had almost 48 lbs in them. I took them both down to the 36'ish mark. That helped a lot with the jolts on small bumps. I still plan on softening at least a notch, maybe 2.

Still not in love with the motor. It certainly is adequate however, and I expect it to perform slightly better as miles continue to climb and everything loosens up a bit more.

Oh.. the seat. I have spent a couple hours on that seat on more than one occasion, and I honestly dont feel it to be that bad?

Pegs need to be wider, probably my main concern after getting Grip Puppies.

Plans at this point seem to be Guards (hand and engine)
Possibly a 16 tooth sprocket, although a good 85% of my riding is at 65 or below on country roads and commuting so I may stick it out. It didnt seem to bad buzzing along at 75 MPH or so yesterday.
Possibly a better rear shock, we will see after I tinker with the stocker a bit.
Probably luggage, or at the least a tail bag setup for the time being.

It's growing on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:06 AM

You sound in the same ball park as I am, I have had mine about a month, have about 900 miles on it and I am not in love yet. I bought the thing because it was a smokin deal....other posts I have talked about it, but it was ~$5300 out the door for a leftover 2014.....sometimes I think I should have gone with the NC700.

It is not a bad bike, but I really (so far) have not seen what causes people to lose their cream over. The suspension is far too stiff, and people fire road this bike....OMG my back could not take it, but again I have about 5 bits of titanium holding my back together, I also have an implant that sends electrical "current" to my spinal cord to help with some pain...so my bottom half "tingles" all the time, so vibes don't bother me....heck I vibe all the time

Now that I have the bike a little lower, and lowering it did make it softer has helped. I generally ride it to work every day and that is about 45min round trip each way if I don't take the long way home.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate the bike, but it is just a motorcycle to me, unless the thing really changes its manners over the next few years I will use it as a mount to get me back in the saddle again (have not been riding for about 7 years) and in the next year or so check out something else.....really liking the looks of the AT.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:50 AM

Another "2014 left over" buyer here....
Bought in July and now have 2300 miles.

Love the ride, haven't "lost my cream" yet but have come close...I'll keep trying.

I've felt this bike smooth out over the miles and now runs great...no, it's not a shaft drive Goldwing but damn smooth ride, great rider position, and fun bike all around. My advice? Keep the chain at 1.4" and ride it.

I hope those with the lower miles find the same improvement in ride as I did...Good luck.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
Another "2014 left over" buyer here....
Bought in July and now have 2300 miles.

Love the ride, haven't "lost my cream" yet but have come close...I'll keep trying.

I've felt this bike smooth out over the miles and now runs great...no, it's not a shaft drive Goldwing but damn smooth ride, great rider position, and fun bike all around. My advice? Keep the chain at 1.4" and ride it.

I hope those with the lower miles find the same improvement in ride as I did...Good luck.
Yes, I am anticipating improvements as it wears in..if I honestly didnt feel it getting better it would have been up for sale after week two. I'm glad I stuck with it.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 PM

I've only got 80 miles on mine so far. I'm looking forward to it smoothing out a bit as it wears in.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My '15LT is definitely smoothing out with miles. Now at a bit over 600 miles there is much less engine vibe. The suspension has softened a bit and lowered a tad. The more I ride it, the more I like it.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Garage
I took mine on the first stretch of interstate the other day. I hit 1000 miles during the ride and I have to say, it was a lot smoother and more enjoyable than when i first got the bike.

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I'm at 7,650 kms (4,740 mi) on my '15....

LOVIN' it...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:41 PM

My '15 model seems pretty smooth by parallel twin standards. I do get a little buzz at my knees at about 6K, but the grips pegs & seat are all smooth. I picked up a rattle in the fairing/cowling but discovered it was the excess Garmin cable I couldn't bring myself to whack.

Really, does anyone enjoy superslab riding? The older concrete roadbeds are especially irritating. The 18 wheeler buffet doesn't help, and I just love when one decides to pass another, but takes 5 minutes to do it.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
My '15 model seems pretty smooth by parallel twin standards. I do get a little buzz at my knees at about 6K, but the grips pegs & seat are all smooth. I picked up a rattle in the fairing/cowling but discovered it was the excess Garmin cable I couldn't bring myself to whack.

Really, does anyone enjoy superslab riding? The older concrete roadbeds are especially irritating. The 18 wheeler buffet doesn't help, and I just love when one decides to pass another, but takes 5 minutes to do it.
I agree, Im not a super slab person myself, But I anticipate rides to family in other states.. All of which require at least 2-3 hours of slab before I hit the back roads.. Im happy its smoothing out, Ill be happier if it smooths out a bit more, but its getting there!
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I'm at 7,650 kms (4,740 mi) on my '15....

LOVIN' it...!

Can you tell a difference between your 15 and your previous bikes in terms of Vibes? Supposedly they smoothed it out a bit, but I dont know if its an internal balance change or mounting, etc..
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 AM

I got my Versys back in March, 6 months ago; not new, but a used 2008. It was a great deal and it came with lots of aftermarket goodies.

When I first got the bike, I definitely had a bit of buyer's remorse; the seat felt too high, the suspension felt too firm, and it buzzed and rattled everywhere. Long story short, I've eliminated most of the buzzing, set the suspension back to stock (had an aftermarket shock w/ 1200lb spring!) and just recently found that the bike runs better with high octane i.e. 93 premium fuel. I was running 87 for months and during a long trip I started running 93 and noticed the bike ran better/ less buzzy.

Anyway, I still don't love the engine and probably never will since its just a simple generic mill. If this was my first bike I wouldn't know any better I guess.

With all that said the bike has definitely grown on me; I use it primarily as an urban assault vehicle. I park it in downtown DC and use it inside city limits 95% of the time. I don't worry about it getting damaged because of the crashbars and handguards, I don't worry about it getting stolen because it won't... and when I do get out of the city I can ride comfortably for hours on both highways and twisty roads.

Simply put: A cruiser bike is like chubby girlfriend that isn't amazing to ride, but you're really comfortable with; a sport bike is like a hot girlfriend that you love to ride, but its a pain in the ass after a while; the Versys is just an average girlfriend that is reliable and really fun to hangout with everyday.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Can you tell a difference between your 15 and your previous bikes in terms of Vibes? Supposedly they smoothed it out a bit, but I dont know if its an internal balance change or mounting, etc..
EXCEPT when I'm in a higher gear BELOW 4,000 rpm, I don't really notice vibes in my '15. Having said that... I never considered either the '08 or '09 as being 'vibey', tho' the '15 IS better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
Simply put: A cruiser bike is like chubby girlfriend that isn't amazing to ride, but you're really comfortable with; a sport bike is like a hot girlfriend that you love to ride, but its a pain in the ass after a while; the Versys is just an average girlfriend that is reliable and really fun to hangout with everyday.
GREAT analogy!

GiantAntCowboy and Micah1 like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Over 6000 miles on my 2014 and I am still loving it just as much as the day I bought it! Sunny today in Oregon, getting ready to go out now for a long ride! see ya =-)
Micah1 likes this.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 02:36 PM

Super slab riding (/lane splitting) is almost all I do, from door step to destination. Keep refining it little by little, and you will LOVE it! Super slabbing ain't for sissies though, but all it takes is time to adjust. Just think 1) Safety, 2) vibration, and 3) jet stream, and the Vs. 650 shines all day and night. I haven't washed mine since I got it last Dec/14, but in a group of exotic bikes, mine it what most people look at in the group. It's a gift from Kawasaki!
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
congrats, you're the first moto rider in recorded history to report his riding affected in any way by the jet stream.
Prove it!

http://parabellum.com

He designed the BMW F650 ST shield from my bike in Jan/97, speced for 6' riders. I tried several configs, but his first was the best.
Get some fresh air.

Last edited by kawdog; 09-26-2015 at 08:57 PM.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:20 PM

No remarkable riding skills here. That's why I do everything else possible to eliminate the need for skill. But riding beside cars, trucks, minivans, etc... will sharpen your wits and make you use every edge possible for additional control. But yes, MY bike is a remarkable handling machine after a couple of dozen refinements.

Jet stream, air stream, slip stream as singular words mean the same thing. You watch too much Weather Channel in CA or NC or... wherever your current id is from. That probably got you excited (while chugging JD during a Weather Channel commercial, where it was bubbling out your nose), didn't it?
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 09-26-2015 at 10:22 PM.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Jet stream, air stream, slip stream as singular words mean the same thing. You watch too much Weather Channel in CA or NC or... wherever your current id is from. That probably got you excited (while chugging JD during a Weather Channel commercial, where it was bubbling out your nose), didn't it?
kawdog - YOU are WRONG! They are NOT the same, even if YOU think that they are!

And you are turning this into a personal attack, which, I suggest, is NOT a good idea.

Please THINK before you 'tap' the keys on your computor.
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Jet Stream:
1. strong, generally westerly winds concentrated in a relatively narrow and shallow stream in the upper troposphere of the earth.

2. similar strong winds in the atmosphere of another planet:
jet streams on Jupiter.

3. the exhaust of a jet or rocket engine.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
kawdog - YOU are WRONG! They are NOT the same, even if YOU think that they are!

And you are turning this into a personal attack, which, I suggest, is NOT a good idea.

Please THINK before you 'tap' the keys on your computor.

I use Jet Stream as an AERODYNAMIC term because that more closely describes my motorcycle than slip stream. In fact, I have used that wording over 30 years and everyone has understood what I am communicating, and NO ONE has even questioned it EXCEPT JD. So that is your basis of proof of why I am wrong, along with "weather" definitions? Hint: I was not talking about weather. Air stream, jet stream, and even slip stream are all descriptive terms to deal with aerodynamics effects.

AS far as a PERSONAL ATTACK, that is the only thing JD does to me following me talking in illiterate baby talk (when he is not in one of his many other id's praising himself to sell used parts) Why is HE not publicly reprimanded for stalking me?

Why would I even care making a personal attack on JD? I DON'T care anything about him except for him SLANDERING me on YOUR site: period. Defensive posturing against mindless slander is in no way turning anything into a personal attack.

Have you ever ONCE said to JD, "Please THINK before you 'tap' the keys on your computor."?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode