My First New Motorcycle... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My First New Motorcycle...

I had been riding since I was kid. Mini-bikes, dirt bikes on back roads and railroad tracks. All of them were used and pretty well worn-out by the time they got to me. My first adult motorcycle was a Suzuki GT550. I was young and dumb and full of you know what and thought that I could resurrect it and tame this short power-band beast. I got it working, needless to say which led to my first high-speed crash (55 mph on your backside, over a curb is not much fun). The GT550 was unique in that it had a two-cycle engine. The oil was mixed via pump with the fuel. There was no pre-mixing. If you over-filled, you over-flowed...all over the side of the very thin rear tire, which does not promote good riding practices...anyway...

The reason why I am posting all of this stuff is that I have been off bikes for a long time when I started to investigate all types of bikes...cruisers, sport, sport touring, and yes even scooters due to fuel costs on my daily commute to work. I decided that I wanted something that was good on gas and could commute with while not being too intimidating for someone who is starting to ride all over again (even though I was experienced, I consider myself a beginner again and will take all of the MSF courses I can).

I picked the Versys for these reasons: I am tall, with a high inseam and like the height of the bike and the view I get when I am on it, not to mention the hard bags and all of the other stuff I can get for it as well as the "standard" riding position, which is IMHO the most comfortable and controllable.

I am chomping at the bit at the moment because I will be taking delivery of my first NEW motorcycle that I have ever owned this Friday. I am really looking forward to riding again...on something that is fun, safe, reliable, and I did I mention new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM

Lucky Dog! Congrats! You will love it. I sure do!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM

Talking

Good luck on your new purchase. I'm sure you will love the bike as well as this community, which has a wealth of technical skill as well as some good advice. Most members are quick to post a pic of what they are talking about, which helps. I'm sure you will end up like the rest of us and farkle the hell out of your V. Below is a list of gotta haves IMHO.
GIVI windscreen
Corbin saddle
fender extenda
Kaoko throttle control
Kisan brake light modulator (every bike should have these, they make us much more visible to all the cell phone using asswipes in cars)
Kisan self-canceling turn signals
FIAMM highway blaster horn.
grip puppies
T-Rex paddock stand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat 006 (Large).jpg (152.8 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by StonedGP; 07-30-2008 at 04:04 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 PM

Garage
Hey luckydog, welcome to the world of the Versys. I got my Versys for many of the same reasons you did and it too is my first new bike - really my first bike ever. I was really concerned about my skills riding it 50 miles home after purchasing it. My only experience in reality was a MSF class the previous weekend. In the end, it was easy and the ride was fun. I am about to take my bike to the shop for its 600 mile checkup (which is nothing compared to the number of miles that many of the people on this forum rack up). I will be chomping at the bit to get the bike back from the shop...

I hope that your Versys works out well for you.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Been there done that! I got mine about six weeks ago and have a little over 2000 miles. Picked it up Saturday morning and rode it about 90 miles to my son's house. The first 10 miles in the rain...it started almost exactly when I started it for the first time. I got up the next morning and rode it home, about 100 miles home. After I got home I went out and rode another 180 miles. Took it in for the 600 mile service the next Friday afternoon.

It is my first bike. I rode off and on until I was 21 on other peoples bikes, but I am 52 now. It really is easy to ride. I have done a couple of trips through the mountains (300 miles on Saturday a week and a half ago). It is an awesome ride and runs great. Welcome and enjoy!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Versys update....I picked up the bike on Saturday and not Friday. I signed all of the paperwork and the dealer asked me when the last time I had ridden, and I told him, that it had been over ten (10) years....he smiled and asked me if I wanted him to ride it home for me and I said NO WAY! I tooled around in the back parking lot and saw that one of the mirrors were loose and had it tightened and then rode it home....and then some. It is an exceptionally easy bike to ride. My only grievance is that the clutch grabs quite abruptly no matter how slow you release. I guess that this is common with new clutches since I have never had a motorcycle with a new clutch....

I rode to church on Sunday and just about anything that you would encounter in the MSF safety manual, I experienced....uneven roadway surfaces, grated roadway surfaces, people not looking at you when you are approaching them when they are making turns, people pulling out in front of you, and even one guy was walking into my path as I was slowing to enter the church parking lot, WHILE HE WAS TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE!!! What is it with these people that they need a cell phone glued to their ears at all times?

My next adventure took me into work across a draw bridge, which is part steel grating and part macadam. Needless to say the steel grating part was really sporty if you know what I mean. All in all, though it is a great ride I my skills are starting to come back to me again.

What do you folks think about the torque on the Versys? Throttle response is direct, however when you slow it tends to really SLOW via engine braking, much like a dirt bike.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM

luckydog - you'll be interested in these two threads.

The first is about the clutch cable binding. Many of us has had problems with this. The routing is to tight and causes the clutch cable to bind. Mine was so tight it was causing me to dump the clutch. http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/sho...clutch+reroute

The second is a vacuum tube mod on the second throttle body. This will smooth out the engine braking and give you better throttle response. http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/sho...+throttle+body
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Ocean,

Awesome! Do you have any pics regarding the clutch cable mod? Also, is the throttle body mod available as a kit, or do you buy the pieces and put it together yourself? I was about to ask the same questions after riding this weekend. It seems that the throttle control on the low-end is really bad. It is much too torque-heavy, and the clutch is always chirping the wheel when shifting. Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM

In good fun of course, Luke's edited must have list for the Versys....

5 gallons 87 RON gasoline
compressed air, to be installed in each tire (pressure per manual)

(save your $$$)

Congrats on your new bike. Be careful!

Be sure to also check your clutch cable slack. Too much slack and the clutch slips, not enough slack and it won't disengage (sounds like it might be what's happening with your bike).

Luke

Last edited by Lukejt; 08-18-2008 at 10:28 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Hey LuckyDog,

On my response (above) to your post are links (in orange) to the two threads that talk about these basic yet important modifications. These links provide plenty of discussion and pictures to help you through the process.

The cable re-route is fairly easy and self explanatory. Basically take off the left fairing to give yourself plenty of access. The first thing you'll notice is that bracket attached to the top of the fork yoke. That usually has to go. Then follow the cable down to the second bracket - and work the cable in a better path and I found the third bracket Ok. You'll probably want to lube the cable as well - I found it to be lacking.

The hose-mod - just buy some 5/32 vacuum hose and a 5/32 T from your favorite auto supply store. Take a look at the pics and you'll see exactly where to do this at. You can do it with the tank on or off. I'd try it with the tank on using long needle nose plyers - but if that doesn't work then take the tank off. I took the tank off - it was a bit more work but it was easier to do the modification.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Ocean,

Thanks again. I saw the pics. With regard to the vacuum mod for the throttle bodies...is there a specific length of tubing that needs to be used, or just keep it balanced between the two different vacuum connections?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
Ocean,

Thanks again. I saw the pics. With regard to the vacuum mod for the throttle bodies...is there a specific length of tubing that needs to be used, or just keep it balanced between the two different vacuum connections?
On this one - I'm no expert on the mechanics of this stuff and have been listening to the advice of others with more experience. Seems like this question has come up before. Basically keep them the same size is the answer. That is what I did and it seems to be working great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode