Riding in the rain sux - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Riding in the rain sux

First time this year I've been caught in any rain. I had my textile jacket washed and uv/rain proof (3m) sprayed (still not dry when I headed out though but I forgot about the visor cleaning and fog proofing (I've got that stuff somewhere.) I had my portable waterproof $25 Frogg Togg's paper pants which worked out great though. Except for knee pads, nothing more needed for rain pants.

I smelled like a dog that had been in the rain (damp) today but it was just 10 minutes of a couple of hours rain I thought I was better prepared for than actually was. This time next year I'll be ready, if El Nino' is still pouring it on.

But there is nothing worse than face shield mucked up from rain on the expressway. I'll have to put my Givi Air Flow Screen scoop on to power-compress the rain (and sound) over my head; but I'm not looking forward to drilling the Givi large screen to put it on. Once you crack a couple of shields drilling into them, you are always scared of cracking another, even if you drill from tiny holes up with tape (or taking all precautions.) Oh well, it might rain again this year...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
You want try riding in NZ, not kidding you can get four seasons in one hour, ive been on a ride where it was a warm northerly 25 c, wind then switched to a cold southerly which dropped temp to under 10c and terrible cold rain not good when your vents are open and happens so fast.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
You want try riding in NZ, not kidding you can get four seasons in one hour, ive been on a ride where it was a warm northerly 25 c, wind then switched to a cold southerly which dropped temp to under 10c and terrible cold rain not good when your vents are open and happens so fast.
We call that a tornado over here! No wonder you guys are so tough.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:00 AM

Garage
Plexus

Plexus is the best stuff I've tried for my visor. It causes the rain to completely bead off my visor at anything more than ~35kph and has some anti fog properties too. It's pricey but a small can goes a long way and lasts more than a season. It also keeps pretty much anything from sticking to the visor or windshield.

weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-16-2015 at 02:03 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 AM

I like riding in the rain as long as my wet gear is working correctly.

it somehow makes the world seem a little more peaceful.

these help also - slide on over your gloved finger. squeegee the water away.

http://smile.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-...le+visor+wiper
BEACHBUM likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 AM

Nearly all Held gloves have this visor wiper thingy embedded in the left gauntled, I love it.

2015 Versys 650
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post

I've got to agree with kohburn here. Usually less traffic, fresh world around you, don't have to drive fast. Peaceful..
kohburn likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 AM

First rain here in Oregon...left the Versys tucked and dry and pulled out the KLR...Rain suit worked fine, should get a second test at lumch and on the way home...

Running Shinko 705's and I don't hot rod around when it's wet so all is good. I might pick up a set of the Frogg Toggs as I'm reading good things about them. The motorcycle ones, not lightweight.

Regarding knee pads, Kawdog, why are these needed? Under pant has no protection? I'm wearing a motorcycle pant under my rain gear is why I ask.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post

How do those keep from streaking on your faceshield? It seems like it would need water sprayed immediately before wiping. Or maybe it only works well when wet.

Thanks! It looks interesting for sure if the miracle sprays don't work as advertised. It's scary when you can't see in traffic on the expressways, lol.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:52 AM

I've been using Pledge on my visor (per the advise of other forum members) and it works pretty good in the rain. Drops hit and run right off. It's also easier to clean off any bug inards collected along the way.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
How do those keep from streaking on your faceshield? It seems like it would need water sprayed immediately before wiping. Or maybe it only works well when wet.

Thanks! It looks interesting for sure if the miracle sprays don't work as advertised. It's scary when you can't see in traffic on the expressways, lol.
you use it as needed like a windshield wiper.

I generally keep my helmet in an air pocket behind the windscreen so not enough wind to blow the water droplets off the visor. the finger squeegee does the job.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Garage
Those finger squeegees are genius. I've had good luck with this stuff for kleeping the inside of my shield from fogging

CAT CRAP Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner - Eastern Mountain Sports

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:20 PM

I find that when I ride at speed and there are no cars in front, I don't use the wiper at all, the wind is enough.

It comes in super handy when I'm stuck behind traffic which creates a fog of tiny droplets. That cloud sticks to the visor and there's never enough wind to wipe it off. A single swipe with my left glove every couple of minutes and it's good as new.

2015 Versys 650
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:26 PM

If you're still having issues drilling a windscreen with tape, you might try using a glass/tile bit. Diamond coated and super sharp, also won't dance around when you start.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:40 PM

Garage
I use Plexus also...You can turn your head from side to side and the wind will blow the rain off...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 PM

I use rainx on my face shield and have for years. I mentioned this on a BMW forum and was severely chastised, but it works, this is on a Nolan 90 but I assume all face shields are similar.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 PM

The right gear makes all the difference in the world. I got caught in a frog strangler on the Superslab last year. For a bit I was doing good to make 35mph and cars were doing no better. Every overpass had a group of Cruiser Riders huddled like lost sheep under it, spent all their cash on chrome and none on rain gear no doubt! But I was dry as toast other than my hands. My Olympia jacket and a pair of Tourmaster rain pants along with the Sidi boots had me covered. My Shoei did a good job on the noggin and I wax the face shield so the rain slid right off. The hands getting wet is because I have yet to find a pair of rain glove I can stand. I have a big ugly pair of rubber overgloves but it was warm and I said "The Heck With It".

The downside to riding in farm country is I was a filthy mess by the time I got home coated in who knows what so I had to wash the bike and all my gear and shower before I could relax.

I find the downside of riding in the rain are you can't see as well and neither can the people driving cars. Handling can be reduced and brake times go way up. So the need to be very careful is increased.

It's also hard on the bike, chains can get the lube washed off and out of them brake pads fill with grit and the water can play hobbs with the electrical system, only thing worse than being broken down on the side of the road is being broken down on the side of the road in the rain!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 06:30 PM

Garage
I enjoy riding in the rain. If i don't have the right gear on i take my wallet and anything i want to keep dry and put in the top case and just keep trucking....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 06:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
I use rainx on my face shield and have for years. I mentioned this on a BMW forum and was severely chastised, but it works, this is on a Nolan 90 but I assume all face shields are similar.

I've used RainEx on my face shields before and never had any issues...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Rain is no problem, it's the muddy muck that coats your visor, windscreen, and glasses. It dries so quick, that it stays that way pretty much until you wash it: a thin layer of dried road mud. It's not going to rain that much here I've seen to wash anything off.

I've got some high tech detailers wax you can put on anything including shield and visor; and rain is supposed to sheet off. I put the bottle next to my bike last night and woke up this morning and it was still dirty

Unless it rains REAL good, that sheeting action is a bunch of sheet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode