Quality Time with Bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quality Time with Bike

OK - Just to see if I am crazy....I am changing the oil in my V, enjoying it, taking my time etc. In the garage, nice and quiet. Checking the bike out for loose nuts etc. Wife comes out...

1) What are you doing?...changing the oil
2) Why? - its dirty
3) What's that? (pointing to the oil)....oil
4) Looks dirty! ..I nod
5) What's that? (pointing to tin foil)....it protects the pipes from oil dripping
6) Your gonna clean it up... nod
7) What's that? (pointing to the filter)......

...at this point I say - listen to me - I am just changing the oil and enjoying it, I will be inside in a little while (really meaning for her to leave me alone) think of it as cheap therapy for me...

8) Enjoying it? Therapy, what do you mean? she just stands there and watches...

...OK - maybe a little snippy I say "I would like to do this alone, a little space from you would be great OK? I will be finished shortly"

She stomps off. Am I crazy to want to spend some quiet time maintaining my bike without 50 questions? Anyone else just want to work on the machine without interruption?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Sorry i don't have your problem, My wife doesn't like being hot so she stays out of the garage.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:33 AM

I see two possibilities:

1) She is jealous of your V, or more correctly, the time you spend with it and not her.

2) She is trying to take an interest in your bike and in her way may be trying to hint that she wants to be involved with the riding. Does she ride? Has she expressed an interest in riding? If so, sign her up for an MSF course and see how she likes it.

I am pretty heavily into competitive shooting sports and my wife started poking around when I was reloading, cleaning guns, etc. It finally occurred to me that maybe she was showing interest. Got her into an NRA training course which she loved and bought her a nice pistol. She isn't interested in competing but she enjoys going to the practice range with me now. Sometimes women aren't real direct about telling you what you want...in case you haven't figured that out yet.

I kind of wish I had your problem (if #2). My wife supported my getting a bike but what she wanted (I find out after I buy the V after months of research) is a big cruiser so she can ride pillion. She has zero interest in actually riding herself.

If the problem is #1, well, good luck with that.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 AM

My girlfriend used to be jealous of my bike... Every now & then while Iím riding I miss her...

Actually I think Kimel has the best take on it

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
csa714
Its GOD faults , not yours. He forget to load the software to decode women behaviour when he created man.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM

+1 for what Kimel said, it is perfect!

On the other hand, it is nice to just be alone sometimes, so I know what you mean.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM

I too find it therapeutic to spend quality time working on my bike.

However, I also love it when my wife joins me in the garage. In fact, she did just that last night while I was installing some stuff. Granted most of the time she was doing other things, but when she asked questions, I made sure to answer them.

For me, I take it as her way of actively taking an interest in something I enjoy.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Sure, she was showing an interest in what you were doing, or the bike, or riding, or she was just bored or whatever ....

In this case, you blew her off. The alternative would have been to have her come lay down near the bike and show her the process - talk her through the steps. Finish the change, and ride her for ice cream.

Of course it's ok to want to be alone sometimes. But when you blow your partner off, there is a cost associated. Sometimes worth it, sometimes not. Same with kids.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM

I usually find something to do for my wife when she is around: makes her feel involved ;-)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM

With that level of interest, why not teach HER how to do it and YOU go inside and grab a brew?
V-Zee
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Yes - i think all replys are spot on...she does not ride - calls Lucille (the V) my mistress. Note to self - more attention needed (to the wife).

Foo Fighter Rider
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa714 View Post
Yes - i think all replys are spot on...she does not ride - calls Lucille (the V) my mistress. Note to self - more attention needed (to the wife).
Cut ya' off, eh?

V-Zee
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM

It takes an hour to drain the oil completely, and about 20 minutes to
do preventative maintenence on the spouse.

My Album:
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 PM

Thats why I call the V the other woman. My wife just detest her.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Got rid of the wife so I don't have that problem . I do have the kids three or four days a week which I enjoy , they ride too.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 05:40 PM

My wife helped me change the stator cover on mine. Yeah, she rocks.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
naz

there is always a jealous relation between wives and bikes.i havent noticed the direct analog in our side thought,maybe a jealous relation between husbands and shopping malls??
i try to steal some time so as to check the valve clearances but this will wake up a katrina tornado effect ,she has her way of twisting tools against me ,and believe me you dont wanna see the torgue wrench flying
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 PM

You use tin foil to cover the pipes? Not bad.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Why not change the strategy plan?
Why not service her first, then your bike. Works for me.

I also call my V the other woman. Well, I explain to my wife I am never far and she will always know where to find me. She understands that.

A remedy, take your wife on your back seat whenever you can. She will appreciate your TLC.

Cheers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
Got rid of the wife so I don't have that problem . I do have the kids three or four days a week which I enjoy , they ride too.
Getting rid of the wife is too expensive. I rather give her a credit card and send her to the mall. Saves money on lawyer fees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode