Quality of OEM top case? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By kawdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quality of OEM top case?

I ordered a new 650 LT yesterday and should have it within a couple of days. I can't decide whether to get the OEM top case with it or not. Even with discounts it's still going to run around $500, which is a fairly pricey piece of kit. The only real plus is that the color would match the bike and I'm not sure that's worth paying a lot for.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the case and how it compares to something like a Givi? If it's not great quality that will make the decision very easy for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 04:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scutrbrau View Post
I ordered a new 650 LT yesterday and should have it within a couple of days. I can't decide whether to get the OEM top case with it or not. Even with discounts it's still going to run around $500, which is a fairly pricey piece of kit. The only real plus is that the color would match the bike and I'm not sure that's worth paying a lot for.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the case and how it compares to something like a Givi? If it's not great quality that will make the decision very easy for me.
The OEM topcase is made by Givi.....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 04:47 PM

Shouldn't be any difference on the 2015 I have a 2012 with the factory top case and no problems at all.

Of course you could buy what you want and have the panel painted to match the bike.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The OEM topcase is made by Givi.....
Thanks. I asked the dealer and they had no idea who made it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutrbrau View Post
Thanks. I asked the dealer and they had no idea who made it.
They are playing stupid so you won't get one on ebay cheaper, but Kawasaki's oem offer is not a bad deal according to people here who buy Givi top boxes and saddlebags.

Dealer employees have to do what the big boss man says or else. Jobs are hard to come by these days.
Time and froggieposition like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:21 AM

I have the OEM top box, it's the same thing as Givi V47 but with a Kawasaki logo and with color-matched plates. The color matching is what made me get the original one, it looks great on the bike and it wasn't that much more expensive than. You also get the key insert that lets you open the box with your ignition key.

The OEM bracket is much nicer than Givi's somewhat generic-looking SR4114. It looks like an extension of the passenger's rails. The OEM base plate is Givi E251 (with a Kawasaki logo).

The quality of that box is great. We've finished a long trip around Europe 3 weeks ago, I had the OEM box and a friend had the V47. Mine once fell down from the bike (due to my mistake) and has a few tiny paint chips. That friend went down twice, once hard enough to bend the bracket (and the handlebars) and the box also survived with nothing but cosmetic damage.

The drawback is it's pretty heavy on its own, due to being made of thick, durable plastic. The allowed cargo weight is thus reduced but I'm pretty sure we both overloaded ours pretty badly for that trip. It made absolutely no difference to the bike, I just had to increase the preload a bit.

The box doesn't influence filtering in any way, I forget I have it in the city, that's a big plus compared to the panniers.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 PM

Whats to stop a person from buying the Givi online and ordering the color plates from the stealer and adding them?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:44 PM

Garage
I did the matching OEM and love mine. Great case, detach and attach quickly. Says Kawi on it. Not that it's a huge deal to say Kawi. My girl loves the back rest add on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.9 KB, 424 views)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPTHCHARGE View Post
Whats to stop a person from buying the Givi online and ordering the color plates from the stealer and adding them?
Nothing, but when you factor in the cost of the plates, the overall difference in price gets pretty small.

2015 Versys 650
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
I did the matching OEM and love mine. Great case, detach and attach quickly. Says Kawi on it. Not that it's a huge deal to say Kawi. My girl loves the back rest add on.
My 2013 top case mounts on plastic with plastic. Does yours mount on metal. I wouldn't dare lean back on mine as I would be worried it would go bye bye.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

After seeing the responses here I did go ahead and order the top case. I don't have it yet but I'll post my pics and impressions when I do.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 PM

Garage
It's plastic on plastic. Buts it's not crappy plastic. It's pretty high grade stuff. And I do believe givi will cover breakage for something like that.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM

Garage
2013 is different from 2015 top case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
It's plastic on plastic. Buts it's not crappy plastic. It's pretty high grade stuff. And I do believe givi will cover breakage for something like that.
Yeah. My case looks different. i ordered it off of Amazon but I swear it was a Kawasaki top case and I bought the matching color panel.

I knew the side cases were different but not the top case. What size is the factory top case?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141122_154452.jpg (186.1 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 20150623_194121.jpg (105.0 KB, 147 views)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyhiking View Post
Yeah. My case looks different. i ordered it off of Amazon but I swear it was a Kawasaki top case and I bought the matching color panel.

I knew the side cases were different but not the top case. What size is the factory top case?
47 liter
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:38 PM

Garage
47 massive liters. I can get my modular helmet, A-stars jacket and 3/4 gloves in there with room to spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode