• 2 Post By millarg
  • 3 Post By saddlebag
  • 1 Post By junglejim
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By saddlebag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Member information.

What do you guys think about more of us filling out the Additional Information section on our User CP page?

My reasoning is:

1) There are many multi-page threads where several experts are weighing in with opposing points of view. It would be helpful for us new guys to be able to check out the credentials of those experts. For example, on a thread about an electrical issue, I would choose the advice given by the electrical engineer guy who works for NASA.

2) Apart from biking, it might be interesting to know the expertise of other members. For example, before I retired I spent 24 years working as a Fisheries Biologist on the Lake Winnebago System. For any of you guys who are avid walleye fishermen and you live in the midwest you've at least heard about Lake Winnebago. If not you should Google it. I could help you out.

Thanks fellas.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 08:08 AM

ALL respect but electrical engineers usually don't work in the field and have a "sanitized" book" black and white knowledge about electrical systems. I would take hands on knowledge recommendations before any, you know, been there done that. Don't get me wrong SOME engineers I have dealt with, electrical,mechanical had their **** together in the field.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
ALL respect but electrical engineers usually don't work in the field and have a "sanitized" book" black and white knowledge about electrical systems. I would take hands on knowledge recommendations before any, you know, been there done that. Don't get me wrong SOME engineers I have dealt with, electrical,mechanical had their **** together in the field.
Excellent point. Thank you. Please replace the second sentence in my OP with your reply.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:29 AM

Canit,
I've been an internet search junky for many years and research the heck out of something before I jump including asking questions. Many times it becomes apparent who knows what their talking about and who does not (KLR650 dot NET is a good example of knowing who the experts are). Having said that, it is very easy to obtain bad (very bad) information on the webs which can lead to folks really messing up their bike or having something go wrong when removing a kidney in a bathtub (I keed!).

I don't disagree with listing credentials and welcome input from others on this topic. Now, if anyone needs some aerospace dimensional engineering help, please feel free to contact me...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Roger that.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canit View Post
There are many multi-page threads where several experts are weighing in with opposing points of view.
I'm pretty sure I'm right. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:12 PM

Garage
I generally specify that "I know enough to understand that I know nothing"
canit and Markie Motard like this.

Glen 08 Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millarg View Post
I generally specify that "I know enough to understand that I know nothing"
You must have a Master's degree.

The guy with a Bachelor's thinks he knows everything.

The guy with a Master's realizes he doesn't know anything.

They guy with a PHd realizes that no one else knows anything either.
millarg, canit and Markie Motard like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 PM

Yep, it matters.
If I have a legal problem I don't seek a cardiologist.
And if I have a heart problem I don't seek out an attorney.

The same problem exists on other forums as well. Lots of the self-proclaimed "experts" make a bunch of assumptions which yield bad information from them. Other times they are just plain wrong. It is up to us to sift through the details to ascertain the info we need.

But some information on a posters background would be helpful - especially if it is true.
canit likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by canit View Post
What do you guys think about more of us filling out the Additional Information section on our User CP page?

My reasoning is:

1) There are many multi-page threads where several experts are weighing in with opposing points of view. It would be helpful for us new guys to be able to check out the credentials of those experts. For example, on a thread about an electrical issue, I would choose the advice given by the electrical engineer guy who works for NASA.
saddlebag likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
ALL respect but electrical engineers usually don't work in the field and have a "sanitized" book" black and white knowledge about electrical systems. I would take hands on knowledge recommendations before any,
Depends. I worked with a lot of technicians over the years. They were all smart people and good at putting things together, but often didn't understand how the underlying system actually worked. Even the ones who worked in repair depots usually just replaced what they "always" replace or took a shotgun approach rather than try too hard to logically decipher the problem.

Anyway, when it comes to bikes, I'd say most of what I know comes from diddling with them the better part of the last 40 years. That and reading a lot of tech articles in magazines from good techs to geniuses like Kevin Cameron.

As a EE, I also designed a lot of electrical control systems for the industrial and aviation markets. Still, if you ask me some specific question about the resistance of your stator coil, I got no bloody idea. If you want to know how electrical power systems work in general, I can probably give a semi-coherent esplanation.
canit likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Here's what I learned, over the years:

The guy with a Bachelor's knows something about everything.

The guy with a Master's knows quite a lot about something.

The guy with a PHd knows EVERYTHING about nothing.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode