Like to take a nice ride to see my son, can the new bike make it? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By kohburn
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By Mursili

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Like to take a nice ride to see my son, can the new bike make it?

At this moment it sits with a TAd over 400 miles. I assume by the time I am able to get free to run up to WV Ill have maybe another 150-200 miles on it.
Continued interstate speed operation for 3 hours on the interstate before I hit the curvy WV mountain roads has me concerned.
Is it safe? Im assuming Ill be running in the 4500-5500 range until I hit the two lane then more relaxed in the 4000-4500 range.

To Clarify I Know Its zero issue for the bike in general, Just with so little miles on it would you consider it a safe thing to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:13 AM

Garage
If you already have 400 miles on it, the engine is broken in. If it were me I would change the oil and filter BEFORE you go. Ride it like you stole it. Don't pay too much mind to the factory break-in recommendations. They are NOT realistic and very restrictive. IF anything, vary your speeds and RPM's when possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
...If it were me I would change the oil and filter BEFORE you go. ...& ... IF anything, vary your speeds and RPM's when possible.
+1

When varying speeds, make sure you let the engine "back down" using engine compression. That way you will pull a vacuum on the piston rings, helping them to seat better.

Have fun!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
+1

When varying speeds, make sure you let the engine "back down" using engine compression. That way you will pull a vacuum on the piston rings, helping them to seat better.

Have fun!
I agree with this in general, hence what has me worried, I wont really bei varying speed much for 3 hours straight. I changed the oil 80 miles ago, still think its safe or should change it again (would end up having about 280-300 miles on it again before changing oil) or if I wait til I got back it would have about 1000 miles on the oil ,
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you already have 400 miles on it, the engine is broken in. If it were me I would change the oil and filter BEFORE you go. Ride it like you stole it. Don't pay too much mind to the factory break-in recommendations. They are NOT realistic and very restrictive. IF anything, vary your speeds and RPM's when possible.
Sorry I was reading your signature and thought how much sense it made..People think im nuts for riding in cold weather I can only imagine where you are how cold it gets!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:00 AM

you can vary your RPM by switching between 5th and 6th gear ocassionally and going up and down +/- 5mpg

should be fine.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I agree with this in general, hence what has me worried, I wont really bei varying speed much for 3 hours straight. I changed the oil 80 miles ago, still think its safe or should change it again (would end up having about 280-300 miles on it again before changing oil) or if I wait til I got back it would have about 1000 miles on the oil ,
I wouldn't change the oil again until another 3000 + miles.

Depending on traffic, you could think about just riding in the right lane, check for traffic behind you, and back er down from 70 mph down to 45 mph once every 30 minutes or so. Failing that, you could exit the interstate at 45 minute intervals, and then get back on.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:27 AM

When I got my 2014 I rode it all over the place the first weekend I had it, I racked up 600 miles. Had the bike for service next Monday, because the next Saturday I was leaving on a trip to Deals Gap, it was 5500 miles round trip.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
do you have gas in the tank? is there air in the tires? if so ya it should make it =p
my2wheels likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
do you have gas in the tank? is there air in the tires? if so ya it should make it =p
I get you mister......100% I GET YOU!.............
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Think after reading folks responses, you summed it up perfectly..L
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Read this:
thanx
It's what I have done on all THREE of my Versys 650s, on the ride home from picking them up at the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I would change oil & filter again before your trip. When you return, I'd change it AGAIN, then put synthetic in (I use Mobil1 automobile 15w-50, and HAVE for close to 100,000 miles!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 PM

I totally agree with all the advice given, especially what trialsguy said about finding ways to vary your speed. If there are any County Roads that parallel your route you could try one of those for a short stint. Any way to lessen your worry can only make the ride better.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:19 PM

Garage
There are the manual break-in style and the motoman break-in style. Since I do not see any indication that any of these engines are breaking down, burning oil and blowing up, then I think that neither of them matter. If you intend to keep this engine until it reaches 300,000 miles, then you may have a significantly different interpretation. As I see it, these engines are robust and the "break-in method" simply does not matter. You can read pages and pages of anecdotal data on break-in, but that is not real data.

I would not worry too much about riding a Versys on the interstate and thereby damaging its engine. According to the manual there is some risk, but according to reality, there is little risk.
canit likes this.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode