Anyone try a CBF1000? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone try a CBF1000?

It looks portly on paper, but it seems light on it's feet, and like the Versys, it seems greater than the sum of it's parts.

I am going to try swinging a leg over one in the near future... see if it fits!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM

It is fast, like it's competitors. I just saw a new R1 Rossi replica in the showroom, $19,000. There is always something faster!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
naz

i have not ridden yet this bike but my feeling says it will be like fazer 1000.i have done some thousands km with fazer 1000 and i can say its a very good bike for touring purposes.the problem of this il-4 type of engines is the gasoline consumption in daily commute riding ,traffic etc.the parallel of same displacement is usually much friendlier in terms of mileage/consumption.when the displacement of a bike reaches the size of cars engine you realize something is wrong,at least in my book.but then again in the usa an average of a cars engine would be 3.2 ? 3,5 ? here in europe we drive 1.2 1.4 1.8 and 2.0 cars and there are very few cars above the 2 liters displacement.the average here seems to fall over time because of the gasoline price and the "green taxing system" in europe nations.that is why i believe the new 1200 type of bikes wont sell very good in europe market,time will tell.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

The Fazer is a worthy comparison, but the CBF usually comes away more favorably. Maybe it's the friendlier ergos or huge bottom end torque... I forget.

I doubt you saw a Rossi replica... maybe a CBR, but not the CBF.

It has 98HP, 106 for 2010, but massive low end and middle torque.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

Last edited by Red Herring; 06-23-2010 at 04:55 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 PM
naz

looking the specs i notice a huge gap of almost 50 hp , for the fz-1....peak power of course but you can realize that the fazer will disappear in open roads.the low torque design of the honda may be a promise for low consumption in commute rides but its a shame to be 50 hp down against your primary competitor.
if you like real low torque try to test ride an aprillia tuono fighter,get ready to become plastic-man,it streches arms...

edit: check also this baby http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2010...yno/index.html

i would like to try it ,its torque line looks pretty good.

Last edited by naz; 06-23-2010 at 05:35 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 PM

We rented a CBF1000 last August in Zurich and rode 1150+ miles two-up thru France, Germany & the Swiss alps. I really like that bike as it was smooth, had plenty of power for what we wanted to do with it, and the ergonomics were nice.

It had no problem with the two of us during the trip and always felt like it had plenty of power for us.

If it ever comes to the USA, it will probably be on the top of my list to get. I like the I-4's myself and the closest thing to it for me is probably a new Bandit 1250.

I almost traded my Versys for a Bandit 1250 but the guy backed out. Not too many bikes I would trade the ole' "V" for.

It all depends on what you like.

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I like that it has 60+ft poinds at 3000rpm... kind of like the Bandit. I am having a hard time swallowing the 540 pounds wet, even though everything I read says it's a flickable bike and feels way lighter than it is... so, who knows. I guess a test ride really is in order.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM

I doubt you saw a Rossi replica... maybe a CBR, but not the CBF.

[/quote]
Right- I misread, thinking CBR not CBF which is not a race bike at all. This is the Yamaha on my dealers floor, complete with the "THE DOCTOR" badge on the windscreen, 19 grand. Limited Edition complete with Valentino Rossi/Fiat Yamaha livery including the number "46" and "The Doctor" logos. Each LE will also contain a replica of Valentino's signature on the fuel tank.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 06-23-2010 at 10:36 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeelybeast View Post
If it ever comes to the USA, it will probably be on the top of my list to get. I like the I-4's myself and the closest thing to it for me is probably a new Bandit 1250.
Not until we get our crotch rocket-/cruiser-addled heads out of our a$$es. We're lucky we got the Versys. Or the ER6-N, for that matter.

It's depressing to hit up the manufacturers' Canadian and European sites and see the cool machines to which we will, in all probability, never have access. Standards are such a tough sell in the 'States...

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 AM

I test rode one last fall and didn't care for it. The ergos were wrong for me: tight bend in the knees and lots of weight on my wrists. Probably very liveable on a bike used only a couple of hours at a stretch, but no good for me for long distance. Also the steering was much slower than the V. I didn't find it much quicker than the V either. Just my impressions, YRMV. Nice looking bike tho.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I test rode one last fall and didn't care for it. The ergos were wrong for me: tight bend in the knees and lots of weight on my wrists. Probably very liveable on a bike used only a couple of hours at a stretch, but no good for me for long distance. Also the steering was much slower than the V. I didn't find it much quicker than the V either. Just my impressions, YRMV. Nice looking bike tho.
I agree that the ergos are way different from the Versys. The Versys is my daily ride and my bride has only been on it once as she just does not care for it. Which is fine and I knew that when we bought as I really liked the bike.

Our touring bike is an ST1300 and we have put about 30k+ miles on it the past couple of years, pretty much all two-up touring. The CBF ergos are much closer to the ST1300 from my experience which is probably why I like it. It's not upright, but not as far over as a sport bike. It's more along the sport-touring ergos to me.

Power wise, they seem close on the low end as it just seems to take a little more time to get an I-4 wound up and going. Upper end seemed to pull stonger where the Versys slowing some. That's above legal speeds here but not on the German Autobahns.

Two completely different bikes and not really two I would personally put up in a comparison test as given the design & purpose differences.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode