Where to mount usb port - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MaverickAus
  • 1 Post By E327

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Where to mount usb port

I just got a USB port to mount somewhere on my Versys and I'm trying to decide where to mount it. I've already got a GPS hard wired so the port won't be for a GPS. It will be used to keep my phone charged. I plan to eventually use my phone for tunes through Bluetooth. I don't have a phone mount yet so maybe I'm putting the buggy before the horse.
I'm looking for opinions and options for mounting the port as well as any ideas on what setups you guys are using for your phones.
Are you mounting them on the bars, tank bag, inside a saddle bag or just dropping it in a pocket, under the seat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:45 PM

Garage
Location depends entirely on your planned use. I have a hard wired GPS, so there was no plans to ever need the phone on my dash while riding. I wanted it to charge the battery while I streamed Bluetooth music to my helmet.

I have full hard luggage, and the top case is mounted 100% of the time. I decided to mount a cigarette lighter in there.

I bought a waterproof cigarette lighter at the auto parts store, and mounted it in the top case.

To mount it, I simply drilled 2 small holes in the case, and put zip ties through the holes and around the body of the lighter.(The box was already scuffed up from it popping off the bike and sliding down the road after hitting a jump...)

I have the wires run down my Givi frame, and under the seat. It is wired into a Fuzeblock, and set to always on. When riding the phone is plugged in, and when parked I can plug in the Bluetooth devise I have for my helmet to charge, while still being locked up.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 PM

Garage
On My 09, i had plenty of room under the seat towards the back, so I mounted a power socket there. I included lots of lead wire, in case i needed to use it a little farther from the bike. (Have not had to do that yet).

I plugged in a double USB female port, and connected two USB cables that I have routed along the tank and then into my Tank Bag. Allows me to charge my phone, and run another USB item at the same time. I also installed the Blue Toggle Switch so I can turn off the

'09 Versys

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 10:06 PM

Garage
What model Versys? I have a Mk 2 (2012)

I removed the dash and used a holesaw to cut a hole in the plastic. I connected the wires to the accessory socket (I used a multimeter to determine the contact that only powered on with the key). If I want to charge the phone I put it in my tank bag and the phone is bluetoothed to my helmet for music / phone calls / GPS
bgw likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 10:12 PM

I have a USB port "just in case".
It's a unit made by Battery Tender that plugs into the hardwired pigtail under the seat.
If I was to go any other route I'd prolly run a Taplite plug up to the front & tie wrap it to something solid.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:06 PM

Tried it on the left side and decided to have it on the right side. I use a ram phone mount on my handlebars. It works well and is not in the way of anything. It charges my phone and/or my Garmin.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1441944104.311504.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1441944132.292366.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1441944187.634528.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
bgw likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Mounted mine on the bars.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 12:12 AM

Lol, is that a Big Gulp or a coffee cup? A styrofoam cup (with a straw) is the first on a motorcycle I've seen, except a Goldwing maybe.

Below is my simple modular approach just sitting in my trunk, so it's not a fixed big bird D ready to break my plastic box or trunk contents. I put it there for waterproof comfort of charging items while riding (haven't used it yet and only one port is all the max charging power for both outlets can really use effectively for charging.) It's just battery tender wires that end next to my battery tender charger wires (so I just attach to USB charger when charging item in trunk.) Easy Peasy.

I've also got a lighter power plug on my handlebars (for tire inflater) and battery tender dual wires attached to battery for anything really.

KISS - Keep It Simple Simon!

Last edited by kawdog; 09-11-2015 at 12:54 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:07 AM

i mounted a cig lighter plug on the left of the dash and a usb port on the right of the dash. super easy after using a hole saw (wood spade bit would work also) but my usb port died to I have to replace it with another model.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:18 AM

I installed a Fuze Block under the saddle and connected a USB port to that. The wire snakes under the fuel tank and emerges through the wire frame that the clutch cable threads through. So the charging end of the port is between the headlight and the fuel tank. I wrap it around the triple tree when I'm not using it. When I need to charge something, I unwrap it, and it's long enough to snake into the tank bag, where I can charge a device under weather protection.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 01:33 PM

I bought this and installed in the handlebars. I'm loving it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patillas View Post
I bought this and installed in the handlebars. I'm loving it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
I have something similar (without the on/off switch) that's sitting on my counter at home (just part of a long list of stuff that needs to go on the bike).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
I have something similar (without the on/off switch) that's sitting on my counter at home (just part of a long list of stuff that needs to go on the bike).
Easy to install, and the cable can be easily hidden under the plastics!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patillas View Post
Easy to install, and the cable can be easily hidden under the plastics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode