Headlight - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Headlight

I Heard that the Headlight is not as bright, is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah it's true... The stock 55 watt H7's don't quite cut it. Osram Hyper H7 clear 65 watt bulb (bigger H9 burner on H7 base) from their high-wattage rally and professional offroad bulb line offers 2100 lumens and a 500 hour life, compared to:
1780 lumens, 340 hours for the Osram Night Breaker with slight blue tint.
1750 lumens, 350 hours for the Osram Silverstar (not Sylvania) also with slight blue tint.
I've just ordered a pair from http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=164 for $21 each + $8 shipping.
($25.15 each +more bulb specs): http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H7.asp

Last edited by invader; 03-30-2008 at 10:25 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 AM

I personally found that the issue wasn't so much the brightness of the bulb so much as the vertical aim from the factory. It was literally aimed so low that it only illuminated out to about 15 feet in front of the bike. Once aimed properly it was OK. That being said, I also went ahead and got an HID conversion kit a few weeks back and it is (no pun intended) a night and day difference. There was plenty of room under the fairings to mount the tiny little ballast and inverter necessary to power the bulb.

I realize that HID conversions are somewhat controversial, but my main concern was making sure that oblivious cagers had every opportunity to notice me. After getting used to HID's on my last couple cars I was sorely missing the additional light output on my bike so it was a no-brainer - and a cheap/easy upgrade too.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 AM

I agree that the factory alignment of the light is way too low and after adjusting it, it works well. That being said, I like the idea of adding HIDs. Because of where I live, if I drive anywhere at night, it will be for 60 miles or more of unlit roads filled with wildlife. The more I see the better.

RezRider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 AM

One more recommendation if you plan on upgrading to an HID: stick with the 5000k temperature - the higher "temperature" you go the less light output you get. I got the 6000k and it's just a little too blue for my taste. Still a huge improvement in light output over the stock halogen bulb though.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezRider View Post
I agree that the factory alignment of the light is way too low and after adjusting it, it works well. That being said, I like the idea of adding HIDs. Because of where I live, if I drive anywhere at night, it will be for 60 miles or more of unlit roads filled with wildlife. The more I see the better.
Has anyone added auxiliary lights?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 PM

timmsumm, where did you get your HID from? How hard was it to install?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
timmsumm, where did you get your HID from? How hard was it to install?
Bump. Same Question.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 AM

Timmsumm hasn't been around in a long time but maybe someone else can chime in. Or try a search either here or on advrider. There have been several HID threads in the last year but can't recall exactly where I have seen all of them.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
HID low beam, by LAVersys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Hi, as promised I took some picture of my bike with HID low beam and Silverstar high beam... Sorry, picture were taken in daytime in the garage... Only buy those HID light in 4000-5000 temperature range, 6000 and up are too blue and not good for vision at night.

The HID is so bright, as seen in the pictures. Turning on high beam is almost not noticeable... High bean does help a little for longer distance...

HID on versys (adjustment) is good. No one has flash me for the last 6 + months that I had it... It shines where it suppose to... Not blinding on coming traffics.

First one with just low beam

This one with high beam on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode