I love the V! but want a Connie, is that wrong? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I love the V! but want a Connie, is that wrong?

The Kawasaki Concours is a sweet bike, I sat on one at the local dealer, I have not ridden on yet. Has anyone ridden one, I need another bike like I need a whole in the head! But I have a sickness..................
I could just add hardbags to the V, it still won't be as comfy as the Connie, but would probably be sufficient. I'm not selling the V, even if I buy a fourth bike

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM

Go for it , I want one too.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 PM

I've ridden an older one. I thought it was bulky/heavy. jmho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM

I had one- a 2008 Concours that I actually ended up trading in for the Versys.

The C14 is an incredible bike. It rides like a video game on the highway- incredibly smooth and deceptively quick. Once you replace the stock BS tires with Pilot Road IIs the handling improves greatly. I used it as a commuter so I never really had a super-long highway trip. The hard bags were great, the adjustable windshield really nifty.
I miss mine, but the V does what I need. The C14 will get you into hyperspeeds really fast and the temptation to twist the throttle was too great for me. It's also a very heavy, top-heavy bike and tipovers are expensive (2-3k$).
Plus, my insurance dropped considerably going to the V.
Would I have one again? Yes.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
cls

I currently have my 78th-82nd bikes in the garage, so I know your disease very well (It's great, ain't it?!). I had an '09 C14. It was a very smooth, powerful, good handling, nice looking heavy, bulky, hot bike. I sold it. I have 3 '09 V's. I sold my '08 V. The C14 is a great bike, IF you can overlook the heat and if you do a lot of distance and/or 2-up riding, IMO. Otherwise, there are better bikes on the market for you needs. YMMV, as always.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
I have 3 '09 V's. I sold my '08 V. .

Haha if I didn't know you any better, I'd almost swear you're my father in law. He had 3 Vs at one point in time.

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
cls

I just sold (almost) all my high-powered, expensive bikes. I haven't found a better balanced, more efficient, cost-effective, comfy, fun bike than the V. I'm trying desperately to grow up. I'm not sure if I like it yet, or not...I have one V lowered for my wife; one for me; and one set up as an ST one, or two, -up bike. I'm going to see if that, and a dirt bike, will do it for a while. I have two other bikes still to sale. If they sell...

This is a great bike, guys. If you're out of the ego, hyper, etc. phase, anyway. Though there's nothing wrong w/that. You just gotta' pay your dues.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM

I was bitten by the Connie bug too. Brought home a 2010 ABS Connie in February. A wonderful sport touring bike. New fairing design solved all the heat issues and it is soooo smooth to ride and shift and takes the twisties all in stride for a bike that wieghs 250 lbs more than the Versys. No more bobble head from the buffeting, no more chain noise. Granted that you might look down at the speedo and find yourself easily doing 20mph over the speed limit, (one reason why I added cruise control). If you take one for a test ride, it will be hard to resist. It is so easy to lust for another bike, it must be our nature.
The V is a wonderful bike that I will always love for what it can do. A V is in a different class altogether from the Connie.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM
cls

To a point. OTOH, the V will take me anywhere the C14 will. I'm simplifying. They're all fun. I've had more than my share of it/them. "Simplify and enjoy," that's my motto. Ride and own all of them you can. It's great fun.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM

I have ridden a C14 pretty extensively but haven't owned one. I now own a Versys.

To me, the C14 is about the epitome of a modern, highly competent, comfortable, powerful sport-tourer. It hides its weight superbly once it's moving and no other motorcycle in the world offers you both an electrically adjustable windshield and a slipper clutch. That's tour and sport in one package. All of these are things I admire. But, having reached the age where I have more self-knowledge than I used to, I realize that admiring and wanting to own are two different things.

That's why I just bought a leftover 2009 Versys and put hard bags on it for less than half the cost of a C14. I realized I'd happily give up the quirky key-less ignition, the electronic tire pressure monitors, the integrated bags and the huge power if I could also give up most of the price tag, a huge amount of weight and probably some speeding tickets and higher insurance bills. I'll continue to admire other peoples' C14s and ride my Versys as far as I'd go if I had a Concours.

Now, depending on how you ride, having both may be a great situation. Personally, if I had both, I suspect I'd never ride the Concours unless I were going more than 250 miles, more than two days on the road, or two-up.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 PM
cls

The C14 is a great bike, for what it is. Just remember, however, it will always be what it is: a heavy, bulky bike. Yes, it hides it well, but it's still a 680+ pound bike. It's great, if you do a lot of highway, distance, and/or 2-up riding. Horses for courses, as always.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:31 PM

Remember was looking hard at the C14 before the V.
It's a super duper sports touring bike but like Cls said heavy and bulky.
The V was more fun, nimble and handles like a wet dream.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 PM

I love the V but wish I had the new 2010 C14. I've spent a lot of money on side bags,top box, windshield, seat, heated grips..............I don't even want to add it up trying to make my V into pretty much what the connie is from the factory. My wife just laughs at me each time I get a new add-on and I say now that I have this I pretty much have everything I need......I know I'm still way under the price of a connie.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I just rode a 2010 C14 this Sunday at a Kawasaki Demo Days event. Once I was able to figure out how to start it (not easy, at least for me), the bike itself is great. Rides smaller than it actually is, is so powerful you won't believe it and is very comfortable to boot. I found the fueling not as good as the V, and lightyears behind the new Z1000, very snatchy and difficult to roll on smothly. Once on the gas, it is like a turbine with so much power, yet no vibrations that I could tell came up to the bars or pegs. You do feel the weight, especially at low speeds and at tip in to a curve, but once it takes a set it tracks very well.

And yet, I like the Versys better. It can do just about anything that I want from it, from the twisties I enjoy upstate to commuting back and forth with minimal costs. The bags hold a lot, riding position is as comfortable as the C14 and with all the farkles I have on it, it is still less than a plain C14. Sure, it isn't as fast as the C14, but I can cruise at 75mph all day on a highway and I kept up with a Goldwing, 2 Honda ST1300s and a Yamaha FJR 1300 without too many problems. Actually, they held me up a bit in the twisty stuff, while they pulled away on the straights.

What I am really waiting for is for the new Z1000 to be available with a tail trunk and/or saddlebags and a taller Givi windscreen. That to me would be the perfect machine for me, though YMMV...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:18 PM
cls

I'm waiting for a Japanese Miltistrada 1200, w/or w/o the electronic wizadry. A high-end, high performance Versys 1200 would do very nicely, I think. Still waiting...
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting for a Japanese Miltistrada 1200, w/or w/o the electronic wizadry. A high-end, high performance Versys 1200 would do very nicely, I think. Still waiting...
What ever you do, DO NOT ride the new Multistrata, you’ll want to burn your Versys.
Save yourself 20k, Just simply don't ride the Duc.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
cls

Too late. I test rode one a couple of weeks ago. Very nice, but just not worth the money and hassle to me. I'm pretty much set on sticking w/Japanese bikes. The value, convenience, and overall satisfaction are just too high and easy. I also didn't like the way the seat locked you into one position and the passenger peg brackets kept my feet from going into a full attack position (On the balls of my feet.). It was very nice, though. Just not worth that much cash to me. But, I'm headed the other way, anyway. From the expensive/high performance to the practical/efficient.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
naz

Quote:
have you checked this http://powersports.honda.com/vfr/#/features
i plan to buy one in the near future,the versys 1200 is still in the parallel universe dimension beaming any time....
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I currently have my 78th-82nd bikes in the garage, so I know your disease very well (It's great, ain't it?!). I had an '09 C14. It was a very smooth, powerful, good handling, nice looking heavy, bulky, hot bike. I sold it. I have 3 '09 V's. I sold my '08 V. The C14 is a great bike, IF you can overlook the heat and if you do a lot of distance and/or 2-up riding, IMO. Otherwise, there are better bikes on the market for you needs. YMMV, as always.
WOW! 82 motorcycles! I'd like to see the list. I have owned 5, and the Versys is light years ahead of them all.

My Album:
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Im thinking of the VFR 1200 now, found one online for 14K, but just don't have that kind of scratch right now, maybe someday..................

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode