Don't you hate "POP" quizes... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Don't you hate "POP" quizes...

Went riding today.
Covered about 150 miles.
It had been a good day.

Suddenly; A mini van waiting to make a left off the side street decides that if his right is clear so to must his left !
Closeest car on my 'six'...eight or nine car lengths.
Seems the sh*t was about to hit the proverbial fan!
I really thought I was going down.
and NO...I did not sh*t my self. But with limited time to react, never being in this circumstances before, and BTW, we lost an brother in arms here in Detroit. Broadsided a minivan 'lefting' in front of him.

So I grabbed a hand full of brakes, Checked my escape routes,locked eyes on the guy behind the wheel, and dug in and dove left.

So, I could have very well sh*t myself and no one would deny me that right.
But I didn't.
What I did do was everything right.
Rear starts to lock ...let her go for a split, squeeze a bit more; just a little, out of the fronts...then dig back in again.
even managed to give a blast of my factory horn.
He sees me.
Take a breath, seems like forever.
Check my blinds...all clear.
And suddenly, I'm on the hard shoulder, bike in neutral, out of traffic. As still as the wind on a winter night, and i might add...on two wheels.
Bowels intact, and very pissed off!

Did I want to beat the crap out of him for flashing my life in front of my eyes? Dam straight I did!
But I didn't.
Flipped him the bird though!!!!!
AND in the end, I really don't think he had a clue.
How do you deal with that?
beats me.
But here I am and I do believe I passed my first test with...fairly flying colors.

Don't you hate "POP" quizzes.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Be well.
be safe.
Peace.

SH"38"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 06-20-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Whew! Glad you made it through!!

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah....I can handle the "V" but I can't figure out how I unintentionally duplicate this thread, let alone delete it.

ARRRRGH !!!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Today was "Start one, get one free day"....

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:47 PM

Glad you came out unscaithed, and good reactions to A bad situation.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 PM

Well done. Way to get out of it intact!!!

I find fewer of these types of incidents since I went with a headlight modulator. The Kisan unit is plug and play.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 AM

you make it sound easy in writing...In reality it is far more dangerous. Good for you to keep your head clear. I grew up where things like this would happen every once in a while so your mind gets trained to watch out for oblivious drivers. I still have scars on my skin to prove that painful results can leave their mark...

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:11 AM
DBL

Is that anything like an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator? I need one of these on all of my vehicles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
I find fewer of these types of incidents since I went with a headlight modulator.
Attached Images
File Type: gif marvgun.gif (41.9 KB, 47 views)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:43 AM

Glad your OK!! Sounds like you did the best you could in short notice and it paid off bigtime!

Had a similar story here in town about two weeks ago. I was not there but know the two guys involved.

They were cruising along and a young lady pulled right out in front of them making a left turn. They both (on separate bikes) slammed into her. One busted up pretty good, one walked away in pretty good shape.

Girl told the cops......Get This......"I thought I could beat 'em".

Can you believe it?? Not the ol "I didn't see em".... But "I thought I could beat 'em"...

Be prepared for anything out there!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Glad your OK!! Sounds like you did the best you could in short notice and it paid off bigtime!

Had a similar story here in town about two weeks ago. I was not there but know the two guys involved.

They were cruising along and a young lady pulled right out in front of them making a left turn. They both (on separate bikes) slammed into her. One busted up pretty good, one walked away in pretty good shape.

Girl told the cops......Get This......"I thought I could beat 'em".

Can you believe it?? Not the ol "I didn't see em".... But "I thought I could beat 'em"...

Be prepared for anything out there!
At least she was honest.

Crazy people everywhere.....

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Crazy people everywhere.....
You got that right!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 AM

Glad you're ok. What is it about MI cagers? I was on my way out to Whitmore Lake yesterday to ride my Waverunner (97 GP1200). As I was passing a Goldwing on the highway in the fast lane going roughly 75 mph, I hear the sound of rumble strips to my left. I look over and there is 2 college aged girls in an Oldsmobile POS passing me by using the other half of my lane and the edge of the road. Seriously, the car was a foot and a half away from my left leg. So the Gold wing see's it and pulls over to the right in his lane and gives me room to squeeze over to get outta the way of dumb bit*hes! They were going 85 - 90 mph easy. So like a dumass I blast up next them and flip em off. To which they just laugh. At this point all reason was GONE. I was approaching rage for thinking that putting live in jeopardy was a source of amusement. I was seriously thinking about kicking in the side of their door. As if anyone would have noticed. So I pull ahead of them until I catch the next car on my right and slow down to match it's speed, and stay there for a mile or 2. At this point the laughing stops behind me and they are pissed. Eventually we are catching some other traffic, I flip em' off again and I squirt ahead through an opening and leave them in my dust. The moral of this story is how easy it is to get into a rage situation. Should have stayed away from them and let em' go. Instead I put myself and others on the highway in a possible bad situation by losing my cool. I got to the lake and was still shaking. I'm not sure whether it was having my life pass b4 my eyes or how childish I let myself act. A lesson to be learned here for sure!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Should have stayed away from them and let em' go. Instead I put myself and others on the highway in a possible bad situation by losing my cool.
You learned your lesson I'd say. Next time, let them go. Keep your butt alive. In your adventure, all it would have taken is for the second girl to scream and the driver yank the wheel and smear you all over the road.

The sad fact is... Physics are not in the motorcycles favor when it comes to highway conflicts. A motorcycle would lose a fight with a Yugo if engaged in a shoving match.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone....and "DBL", I'll take two Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulators please (we should call 'riders discounts' and see if they can stock 'them' ).

I gotta say a special thanks to everyone here, I think I've learned as much about bike handling and what to expect here at our forum as I have being 'out there' on the road, so I was well prepared.

It's amazing what you can pull off in a few split seconds....grabbing brakes, down shifting to second so i can power up if need be, keeping the brakes freed up, steering away, watching for other bogies diving outta the sun....

And my beloved Kawasaki Versys was 'talking' to me the entire time, keeping me informed, letting me know, keeping me safe.
Confidence!

I never rode another bike in my life, EVER! So if this is how a bike with 'wooden' brakes' and no ABS performs in an emergency, I say DAM!
Thank you Kawasaki. Frickin' AWESOME bike.
...And if this is the best you got to offer for seven grand!...i CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW BLOODY AWESOME YOUR Z-1000 MUST BE!
let the good (and safe) times roll INDEED!

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful comments

OK...I'll shut up now

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Today was "Start one, get one free day"....

he He He....thanks bear.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad you're ok. What is it about MI cagers? I was on my way out to Whitmore Lake yesterday to ride my Waverunner (97 GP1200). As I was passing a Goldwing on the highway in the fast lane going roughly 75 mph, I hear the sound of rumble strips to my left. I look over and there is 2 college aged girls in an Oldsmobile POS passing me by using the other half of my lane and the edge of the road. Seriously, the car was a foot and a half away from my left leg. So the Gold wing see's it and pulls over to the right in his lane and gives me room to squeeze over to get outta the way of dumb bit*hes! They were going 85 - 90 mph easy. So like a dumass I blast up next them and flip em off. To which they just laugh. At this point all reason was GONE. I was approaching rage for thinking that putting live in jeopardy was a source of amusement. I was seriously thinking about kicking in the side of their door. As if anyone would have noticed. So I pull ahead of them until I catch the next car on my right and slow down to match it's speed, and stay there for a mile or 2. At this point the laughing stops behind me and they are pissed. Eventually we are catching some other traffic, I flip em' off again and I squirt ahead through an opening and leave them in my dust. The moral of this story is how easy it is to get into a rage situation. Should have stayed away from them and let em' go. Instead I put myself and others on the highway in a possible bad situation by losing my cool. I got to the lake and was still shaking. I'm not sure whether it was having my life pass b4 my eyes or how childish I let myself act. A lesson to be learned here for sure!
SMOLEY HOKES!!!!! "GP".
been there, and i know what your thinking; (wish I had a rocket launcher, wish I had a rocket launcher, wish I had a rocket launcher).
Just makes ya wish you could reduce the surplus population.

Glad your whole brother.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
(wish I had a rocket launcher, wish I had a rocket launcher, wish I had a rocket launcher).
You had to mention rockets....

Cool helium balloons huh!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
he He He....thanks bear.
SH38, you Passed, after all, you're writing about it- from home. Many would not. You locked up the rear, happens quite easily on this bike. Do you still have the OEM Dunflops?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Stoned, we all know it but don't always do it. If you survive the situation, you have to let it go. It can only get worse. In Mass. we can go to the police and file a road rage report (lic. plate # needed) and it gets reviewed by the RMV. Both you and the offender are called in to testify at different times and if the offender has multiple complaints action is taken. (what?, I don't know). At least the person has to take a day off from work and gets their b*lls or whatever busted. If you know a cop, they can receive a citation in the mail. (don't ask how I know this). You didn't say...How was your ride on the WaveRunner?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
SH38, you Passed, after all, you're writing about it- from home. Many would not. You locked up the rear, happens quite easily on this bike. Do you still have the OEM Dunflops?
That would be a Affirmative on the stock Dunnie's!
and the lock-up on the rear was easy to modulate, so to speak.
the rear end wiggled a bit to let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode