BMW vs. Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BMW vs. Versys

So I was out and about for an early morning ride and on the second half of my loop I happened by a BMW dealer. Looked pretty busy but I decided to stop in and check it out.

Lets back up a few months before the V. I was looking pretty hard at the F800, but just couldn't swallow the price tag. But now a few months later and you know the cost of the F800 could possibly be swung. So why not get a leg over the bike that started this street bike crazyness?

Back to today - I pulled up out front right next to an orange F800. Went in and talked with the sales guy and sure enough that was a demo. Sign my life away and away I went.

I did about an 8 mile stretch of highway and then circled back via some nice twisty country roads. It was a pretty good loop to get a feel it.

I'll sum it up comparing to the V - the BMW has a nicer seat and sitting position, nice and narrow, better mirrors, the onboard computer is too cool, the stock windshield is alittle worse than the stock V shield on the highway. The V feels more planted at high speeds (100+). The BMW runs at 5k rpm at 75mph, the V runs at 5.5K rpm at 75mph (indicated) The V seems quicker and easier to loft the front wheel, but the BMW feels like it has more power(does that make sense?). They handle about the same on the back roads. The BMW sounds cool. I didn't like the way the front brake resoviour sticks up and moves around on it's rubber mounts on the BMW. The BMW sits a bit taller than the V.

All said and done, I liked the F800 and it would be an awesome bike if I was more seriously looking at riding dirt. (the V does just fine on the few gravel roads I encounter) Still for me I can't justify the cost differential. And you know even if they were the same price I would probably still take the V. Maybe not....

Next on the block is the Triumph Tiger.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 PM

That is interesting. I don't have either but currently ride a cruiser. I am planning on swithching late this season or early next one. I'm currently waffling betwixt V, V-Strom, F650 (the twin one) and the F800ST and just recenty looked at the Honda NT700V that seems nice also. Tonight, the debate is V and F800ST but it seems to change frequently--the V seems to always it into the mix only the latter one up against it changes. I guess that should tell me something, huh.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 PM

I just got done riding my Honda VT1100 Shadow. I took it to a good friend of mine who is also a dealer to be put on consignment. Will I miss it? A little but I do like the V much better plus it makes my lower back happy. One test ride and you'll be hooked on the Versys.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 AM
naz

a very good friend of mine recently bouht the f800.i was brainwashing him for the versys an i think he didnt buy it because of my input just to be different....
anyways some days ago i had pretty good test ride of his bike ,we swaped bikes.
in every situation,curves straights,traffic jam,my v had better response.he told me that...i knew it ofcourse .the real advantage of bmw is the village roads,there bmw can perform better ,it has superior off road capabilities.
there are some incidents with f800 engine leaking oil here in greece,i dont know there but here there are a lot of owners going to the dealer for head flanges,bmw mast have done some mistakes with the parallel.if you plan to buy a 2nd hand check this subject
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:21 AM

I have a 2008 V and a 2005 R1200 GS. Totally different rides. I've been trying (not too hard) to sell the V, even advertised on here, with no luck. Everytime I ride it though, I'm glad I still have it! I customized the seat (really uncomfortable for me before) and have Speedy's lowered footpegs. With those mods, a much better bike.
The V is quicker, buzzier, and obviously lighter. Better mileage, no maintenance except tires in the last 4000 miles. 11,00 miles total and previous owner had no maint issues.
The GS is more stable at speed, not as quick, but more powerful, and a smoother ride on rougher pavement. 99% of my riding is paved, so no comp, there. Hands down choice for a long trip and better luggage, also.
I guess that I have a wandering eye. I'm drawn to the 1050 Tiger, but also the Concourse.
I need to win the damn lottery...

edit: I test rode the F800. Nice bike, but a seat like a 2x4!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM

2008 Motorcycle of the Year (for a reason, all us forum members can't be wrong)
I absolutley love my V!! This bike overall is really hard to beat, price also rocks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:08 PM

My 08 kle rocks, drives the crurves great, seems to handle cruiseing at 104 and with more to give if you want to, allday long. And with the spare change in my pocket. Just have to get over the blow to my ego of a jap bike. "non bikers think its a bmw or ducuti"

Work on her is easy to do yourself to boot.

Make a great addition to any stable.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
That is interesting. I don't have either but currently ride a cruiser. I am planning on swithching late this season or early next one. I'm currently waffling betwixt V, V-Strom, F650 (the twin one) and the F800ST and just recenty looked at the Honda NT700V that seems nice also. Tonight, the debate is V and F800ST but it seems to change frequently--the V seems to always it into the mix only the latter one up against it changes. I guess that should tell me something, huh.
My wife will swear to the V, I really like my V-Strom. Both are 650's, we do not take to offrads, and when we do they are maintained roads only. I have taken my strom on some nasty stuff and it did fine. They bothe do good on mileage, the V has a better pick-up and is really perky, wish the Strom had that. I like the feel of the strom, longer wheelbase and it feels more solid to me.
You really need to think it over - what will you really use the bike for, test drive ALL of them, and look at repair costs !!
Ive been told by a few BMW riders to not do it - BMW is very expensive to maintain.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I think Windwalker rode the F800 GS, not the ST, based on the fact he road it on country roads and the seat height. 2 very different bikes, the ST is a street/touring only bike, the GS more dual sport. The Triumph Tiger is actually the closest thing to the V and the V strom, with a bigger engine and more horsepower.

My Album:
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
I think Windwalker rode the F800 GS.
You are correct. Wasn't aware of an ST version. The 1200GS looked nice too, but then he told me that one was $18K.

The Tiger still calls out for a demo

Mike
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
The Triumph Tiger is actually the closest thing to the V and the V strom, with a bigger engine and more horsepower.
No doubt. Riding a V because I couldn't afford a Tiger. Also because, realistically, I'm too much of a rookie for a 113 bhp bike. Although that probably wouldn't have stopped me if the cash had been there.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue

Last edited by 80-watt Hamster; 06-22-2010 at 12:54 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
I'm currently waffling betwixt V, V-Strom, F650 (the twin one) and the F800ST and just recenty looked at the Honda NT700V that seems nice also. Tonight, the debate is V and F800ST but it seems to change frequently--the V seems to always it into the mix only the latter one up against it changes. I guess that should tell me something, huh.
My original trio of options to replace my old 02 650 GS was the weestrom, V and and the newer twin 650bmw, The BMW was taken out of the running due to cost and my previous knowlege of cost of BMW parts this left a test ride between the weestrom and V, it came down to the V felt more perky and nimble especially in tight twisty corners. 12,000km later and still very happy with my decision
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
My original trio of options to replace my old 02 650 GS was the weestrom, V and and the newer twin 650bmw, The BMW was taken out of the running due to cost and my previous knowlege of cost of BMW parts this left a test ride between the weestrom and V, it came down to the V felt more perky and nimble especially in tight twisty corners. 12,000km later and still very happy with my decision
12000km and a good forum with a lot of good people.

for the V
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
cls

I sold my tiger 1050. Great bike, but only better than the V is you do a lot of open-road, high(er) speed, and/or 2-up riding. Otherwise, the V is more nimble, slim, efficient, and cost-effective. Then, again, I've had all the power stuff, so that doesn't impress me any more. The Tiger is a cool bike. I just prefer the V for my riding. I also sold a Concours 14 recently. Heavy and bulky...Great bikes, both. Just not the best balance for my wants and needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode