Tyre review (german clinical way) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tyre review (german clinical way)

roadsmarts get a beating..

continental road attack is the new king..

of course you canīt compare them on different bikes, but.. how can you neglect these reports?

So with this now you know...

go after your contis!

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...report_en.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninogui View Post
of course you canīt compare them on different bikes, but.. how can you neglect these reports?
Quite easily, because it's subjective. You should have mentioned the whole discussion on the other Versys forum that led to posting the link to that test above. Other magazines tested the same tires and came to a completely different conclusion. It's hardly as definitive as you imply above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawarichard
Last week Motoplus in holland published a test on sporttouring tires. The bike they used was a Suzuki Bandit 1250S.

The results were:
1. Pirelli angel ST and Michelin Pilot Road 2.
3. Bridgestone BT 23
4. Conti Road Attack 2
5 Dunlop Roadsmart
6 Metzeler Toadtec z6
7. Avon Strom 2 Ultra

In general. All tires offered plenty of grip in the dry. In the wet there are some big differences according to this test the Avons are compared to the others less grippy in the wet, but they last long. The Roadsmart wears out more quickly than the other tires and when it does it looses grip and handling quit fast. To a point that the tires had to be replaced eventhough there was enough profile left on them. The bridgestones are very well all around but when braking in corners it tends to right it self quit strongly. The Pirelli angel ST is a neutral tire with good steering characteristics: well in the dry and good in the wet, with less wear than average. The Michelins are well in the wet and dry, but it had a tendency to drop into the corners quit quickly. It's a corner happy tyre, and not as stable as the Pirelli.
Using the same bike and tires, the Motoplus testers arrived at a different order. It's interesting to read the whole thing (when available) and read their impressions. The overall points are not as important as that to getting a better understanding of why they picked one over another. Unfortunately, kawarichard only posted the summary, I'm sure there are a lot of things to be learned from the Motoplus report too. I'm also sure that with enough digging, I can find a couple of other tests of these same tires that have an different order still.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gustavo; 06-19-2010 at 09:12 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Gustavo:-
Quite easily, because it's subjective. You should have mentioned the whole discussion on the other Versys forum that led to posting the link to that test above. Other magazines tested the same tires and came to a completely different conclusion. It's hardly as definitive as you imply above...

+1. Tyres are a personal choice.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys

well of course itīs subjective. What I was mainly relating to is this kind of test we can hardly perform at home, so some credit must be given me thinks.

One way or the other any of those tyres are certainly far far superior than the ones I used to use on my young age rides, meaning 25 years ago. Probably that technology superiority is the reason why some choose a brand/model over another and puts them all not so far apart in choice.

Just like the bikes! for every unconditional happy versys owner you will find one happy v-strom, f650gs, etc etc happy owner on some other forum!

Anyway my choice fall on versys. Donīt ask me why as I am still waiting for it (1 week plus!), but it was a close call between the versys and the Z750. If I had enough budget I would have gone for the Triumph street triple R.

Before riding, on a pure rhetorical sensitive side of things my choice went to versys because of:

50% - price
10% - feedback I get here
10% - adaptability to type of day to day use and local track/city conditions
10% - apparent running costs and availability of 5 dealers in the area
10% - unlike honda hornet there are not many around, I like some exclusiveness
10% - it grew on me, some other feeling / magic dust I canīt explain!

Gustavo where did you see posts related to this, on the uk forum?

rgds
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Gustavo where did you see posts related to this, on the uk forum?
Wow, you mean it was pure coincidence?

This is the tire thread the quote I posted and the link to the Motorrad test are in:
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...&topic=8405.15

Look for the 2008 and 2007 Motorrad tire tests. The same people that this time disqualified the Pilot Road 2CT from the second round rated it only second to the RoadSmart on the track and best in the wet test of 2008, giving it the overall class win in Sport-Touring over the RoadSmarts. AFAIK, neither of these tires has changed since then, but the riders and bikes conditions they used for testing may have, giving you a completely different result from the same people (probably better said same magazine, since I am not sure it's actually the same testers).

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:17 PM
naz

it reminds me of some bike magazines here in greece,for example last year r1 yamaha was 1st in the 1000 cc major test and this year its last in the same test....makes you wonder indeed...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

I will have plenty of time to make up my mind after I worn out the factory tyres lolol

Gus: didnīt know that tyre eval was posted previously at the uk forum. Happened to bump into it when searching for type reviews on conti 2. What would be the point anyway? (hablas espaņol?)

ps: love greece! a few years back I travelled to athens in summer (made the big mistake of walking up the parthenon at mid day) and piraeus, went to the islands of Sifnos, Naxos, Santorini and Mykonos.

Very nice people, a bit strong blood (after a roundabout and a small crash between a scooter and a car the people in question started fighting and punching themselves right in the accident scene lol) but more or less similar to us here in Portugal (just as crazy I guess, being of the lower edge of europeīs economics we donīt have much to loose now do we)

and the feta cheese... the greek salad.. the girls.. well.. Sadly I was married at the time so no chance heheheh (joking)

rgds
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 PM
naz

Quote:
I will have plenty of time to make up my mind after I worn out the factory tyres lolol

Gus: didnīt know that tyre eval was posted previously at the uk forum. Happened to bump into it when searching for type reviews on conti 2. What would be the point anyway? (hablas espaņol?)

ps: love greece! a few years back I travelled to athens in summer (made the big mistake of walking up the parthenon at mid day) and piraeus, went to the islands of Sifnos, Naxos, Santorini and Mykonos.

Very nice people, a bit strong blood (after a roundabout and a small crash between a scooter and a car the people in question started fighting and punching themselves right in the accident scene lol) but more or less similar to us here in Portugal (just as crazy I guess, being of the lower edge of europeīs economics we donīt have much to loose now do we)

and the feta cheese... the greek salad.. the girls.. well.. Sadly I was married at the time so no chance heheheh (joking)

rgds
i am glad you liked my country.i havent been to Portugal yet but i ve met some fellas and i believe we have some things in common .i dream the day i start a big euro trip with my versys,but at the moment i cant do it.if i make it happen i will sure visit your country
the incident with greeks fighting in the middle of the road is really tragic , but we usually prefer the fighting solution so as to save the lawyer expenses in the courts... but in the end they show up
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I know Iīve seen your recent social strike fights. Although not funny a lot of people died in the bank fire...

youīll be welcome! if you donīt bring you versys you can ride mine!

Just donīt ride it like the youtube greek guy that tops it to just over 200km/h on a 2 lane road... heheheh

Versys is not made for that i guess..

but on the other hand.. if you live close to lisbon, have a zzr1400, no easy access to a speed track, you can go to vasco da gama bridge and do this:

So you see we are really related but whenever possible.. people here go faster lol

Maybe because down here whenever possible everyone uses 98 grade fuel? lol

greetings

Last edited by ninogui; 06-21-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode