Sometimes I take it off if it's hot. 1 1.59%
I wear a pudding bowl helmet like the cruiser guys wear...I look tough. 0 0%
No, I like the breeze in my hair...and bugs in my teeth. 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
NGATT in OH

I made a quick trip to Cedar Pointe yesterday.http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/par...ters/index.cfm Check out the Vids for the Maverick. OMG If you love roller coasters...this is the place to go!
That being said, it shocks me when traveling in OH to see grown adults riding with no helmet, long pants, jacket, etc... My question for the folks on this site is, if you live in a "no-helmet" state. Do you still wear your helmet? Blows me away to see No Gear All The Time.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 AM

If I'm on a bike I have a helmet on. Pavement hurts.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 AM

I live close to Idaho, a no helmet state. I have seen people there riding in as little as a tiny pair of short pants and sunglasses. No shoes, no gear of any kind. And not just one person, one time. Rather frequent occurrence, actually.

I've also seen guys with really nice tats across their backs...except where part has been erased by road rash.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
I've also seen guys with really nice tats across their backs...except where part has been erased by road rash.
Wow. The worst part of that is that you're seeing it because they're still riding without a shirt even after losing a lot of skin.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:36 PM

I live in ohio, and just the other day i saw some fool on his "hog" with no shirt. Smart folks in Ohio.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:45 PM

it's almost 90 degrees outside, and as hot as it is , I will have all my gear on, period! I know it's uncomfortable, but it only takes lowsiding once......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 PM

I live in Ohio as well. From what I see I am in the clear minority by wearing a helmet all the time. My favorites are the many sportbike riders who ride with their helmets hanging off the side of the bike secured to the helmet hooks. See it all the time.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:38 PM

Just came back from about a 20 mile ride out for dinner and back. In that time I saw 1. a guy on a Harley with no shirt, or pants (he had on shorts) no helmet and sandals on his feet. 2. 4 Harleys with guys wearing the bowls on their heads, jeans and tee shirts, 3. A BMW - he had on a jacket and helmet - Yay! but jeans and sneakers. 4. a couple in shorts and tank tops - girl had a helmet, guy was brainless. I guess. 5. Me - Hi viz jacket, gloves, helmet, pants and boots - hot at stop signs but figure I would rather not lose a lot of skin if anything happens. by the way - in PA.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Maryland has a helmet law but I see everything else (sandals, t-shirts, shorts, etc.) I remember riding as a teenager without any gear at all and it is a very free feeling. That being said, I'm also very happy that I didn't ever get hurt because I'm no beauty queen, but I do like the way I look.

Worked with a guy who rode Harleys and looked just like ZZ Top because he unfortunately scrapped off his chin in an accident.

I'm older now, a little more cautious, and prefer to sweat and be safe. I equate riding without gear to swimming in your birthday suit. A very "free" feeling, but you just don't do it.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:30 PM
DBL

I wear ATGATT about 99.9% when on my bike but may take a short mile long ride to my mailbox and back or to cool off after mowing the grass. I do feel weird and almost naked without my gear though and would never leave my neighborhood without it.

My friends just bought their new cruisers a few weeks after I bought my new bike in April. Apparently, they are too cool for gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me_and2squids.jpg (82.5 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by DBL; 06-20-2010 at 03:28 AM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 AM

Like in Ohio...................I can never figure out a state that has a seatbelt law, but no helmet law ??????

'15 DL1000
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 AM

Yeah, riding through PA a few weeks ago I got to see plenty of guys with no gear/no helmets. Like many above have said, I've done the mile trip to the convenience store with just helmet,jeans and a t-shirt, it's unsettling, borderline frightening. Knowing that if anything happens, denim and cotton are all that's between you and pavement, not cool. I don't have links but there are plenty of videos on youtube under "helmet law". Listening to people talk about helmets only help up to 13 mph and that they're a myth...The idea that somebody would choose direct skull impact to pavement over a helmet is
beyond ludicrous to me.

Mike
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I guess that's natures way of weeding out the idiots. As sad as that is.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 02:15 PM

We can each be responsible for our own actions, respect others to do the same. We don't need a government to take care of us - in fact the government's attempts to take care of us typically makes things worse.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
We can each be responsible for our own actions, respect others to do the same. We don't need a government to take care of us - in fact the government's attempts to take care of us typically makes things worse.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Garage
When I go out riding I always have my helmet, jacket, boots, gloves and jeans. I have a leather jacket and armored pants on order.

That being said I do not believe there should be any helmet, or seat belt laws. If I want to ride without one I will.

When I go down to the beach home I ride my moped without any gear. The speed limit is 25, but never get above 20 tops. I know that will still hurt, but I'm willing to risk it. I like the choice.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
I equate riding without gear to swimming in your birthday suit. A very "free" feeling, but you just don't do it.
I ALMOST always go ATGATT on the bike, but frequently "wear" my birthday suit while swimming and doing yardwork. I did move my wife's Harley in the yard once sans gear of any sort. Shifting up to neutral and finding the kickstand was a bit uncomfortable to my tenderfoot.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 AM

I always wear my lid, (full-face, not skid lid), but must join in giving the helmet/seatbelt laws the thumbs down. Let people disregard their own personal well-being. I'll buckle up, thanks.

Wife-to-be has seen, more than once, a girl zipping around on a supersport, Hayabusa perhaps, sporting a bikini and flip-flops. Once in bare feet. Apparently the daredevil gene is not exclusive to males.

But yeah, the number of riders in shorts and sandals astounds me. I simply cannot wrap my brain around it.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
ATGATT here
,but to others its their funeral. Nothing can be done anyway. You make a law and there people to break it and there are people who will blame Obama for it.

Have a pleasant day.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Its law in NZ to wear a helmet and wear a seat belt and I think its nuts not to wear a helmet and correct safety gear as even a slow spill down the road will tear your flesh up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode