Versys question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys question

Is the Versys ok for a guy who is 6'4"? Currently learning on an 82 cm450 and while it's a great bike, my legs are up so high that my hips get cramps. Thinking about getting a Versys or a V-Strom. They seem to be ok for taller people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:21 PM

its amazing for me and I'm 6'7" I learned on a 492cc buell blast (little bike) and I have loved every minute of this... how long have you been riding? I put 10k on the buell then changed... anyway either way go the versys you'll be happier but thats biased with out any back up... theres a lot of info on here though to back it up...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I just got my license last week. Wife made me get a cheap bike so if I layed it down in the first 6 months then we wouldn't be out much. Don't tell her, but I actually the old Honda. I plan on buying a new bike in the spring and she is going to take the class and learn on the Honda.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyc34 View Post
Is the Versys ok for a guy who is 6'4"? Currently learning on an 82 cm450 and while it's a great bike, my legs are up so high that my hips get cramps. Thinking about getting a Versys or a V-Strom. They seem to be ok for taller people.
I'm 6'4", no cramps. 34" inseam.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm 6'5" / 36" inseam...probably close to 6'6" with my riding boots on.

My impression of the V - As far as performance, handling, power, suspension, etc...all that is fine.

As for ergonomics...

In the lowest position, the windscreen seems to create a zone of buffeting right about my shoulders and in the highest position, it seems to be right about my helmet / visor. I'd say you'd either need a big 'riot shield' after market screen or take the stocker off (my solution) so you're in clean air.

The foot pegs seem high - my knees don't tuck nicely into the cut-out space of the gas tank. They're pretty close to hitting the line where the convex and concave portions of the tank meet. I lowered the pegs straight down about 1.25" and that helped a lot.

The combination of the high foot pegs and high handlebars meant a very upright seating position and lot of weight was forced way back to my tail bone...add to that the crazy curvature of the seat and it's about like nailing a 2x4 to a wall and calling that a chair. I stuffed a big pile of foam through the vent holes in the front of the seat and that helped a lot. I plan to lower the handlebars shortly. So all that put together - hopefully I'll be able to go more than the current 30 minutes without wishing I was somewhere else.

Also because of the high seating position and big torso, I catch a lot of wind. It feels a little shaky at 75/80 mph, especially with 30mph gusting cross wind. I'd really prefer to be bent over a little more with a little more weight on my wrists, out of the wind some, and the weight more evenly distributed on my butt.

With all that said, over the years I've learned that ergonomics is a lot of personal taste and an inch or two can make a big difference. I've been on other forums where people say "oh, I'm 6'6" tall and I fit in that car fine" and I have to reply, "I'm 6'5" and I took the front seat out, welded in some extensions and moved it about 3" back, then did the same with the steering column" Also things that annoy one person (wind buffeting) my go completely un-noticed by someone else.

Anyway, that is my .02

Corey
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM

How did you lower your foot pegs?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM

Machined some aluminum brackets

Corey
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 PM

So Corey, what's your price for machining some more of those lowered foot pegs? And how exactly are you planning on lowering the handlebars? I have been looking for a way to get them off my chest. I am 6'8" and I fit fairly comfortable on the Versys but those improvements would help a lot.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxifer View Post
So Corey, what's your price for machining some more of those lowered foot pegs? And how exactly are you planning on lowering the handlebars? I have been looking for a way to get them off my chest. I am 6'8" and I fit fairly comfortable on the Versys but those improvements would help a lot.
6'8" here too and if you make 1 more set you might as well make 2!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:41 PM

I'll look around and see how much aluminum stock I have left. Those came from a 1" thick 6061 billet. I'm out of town now and will be until next Monday, but will let you know ASAP.

As for the handlebars...I don't know for sure yet. Physically lowering them isn't too big of a deal, it's figuring out how to get them to fit right around the tank. Really, I could use a straighter bar...my shoulders are wide enough that I'm reaching "in" to hold onto the bar, but then twisting my wrist back "out" to grip the handle.

Corey
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 PM

I'm not sure if you want to go into full production mode on those footpeg-lowering brackets, but I'm interested too...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey872 View Post
Machined some aluminum brackets

I would also be very interested in purchasing the lowering pieces. If I had the proper tools and machining equipment that is exactly what I would do.

As for the original post asking about whether the V is a good bike for someone 6'-4"?..........well, I'm 6'-41/2" and 235 lbs. I've had my V for long enough and taken long enough rides to know by now-and I'm very happy with the bike. Is it perfectly sized for those of us who are tall(er) ? No. But then, no bike is really designed specifically for us. I was also very worried about my legs cramping from being folded up too much and worried about the comfort level on long rides. I am very happy with the ergos on the V. I have "re-foamed" my seat and modified it to sit higher as discussed in another thread here. That helped alot. I also purchased the Vario windscreen with the adjustable top flap. That made a big difference over the smaller stock screen.

I purchased the bike knowing I would be doing some little mods here and there to make the bike "fit" me better, and that's what I've done. I have some more tinkering to do, but I'm really comfortable on it the way it is now. I commute to work on the bike daily, 50miles roundtrip, with alot of stops and starts. I couldn't be happier. I actually look forward to my commute both in the morning and after I've put in a full day's work. And I'm not worn out when I get off the bike.

I can't seem to wipe the silly grin off my face I know it's a very personal and relatively major decision for everyone. I'm happy with my choice and my suggestion for you is to go to the nearest dealer that has one and sit on it. Maybe even bribe them into letting you take it for a test drive. And while you're sitting there, imagine what a few minor mods might do for your comfort.

Jeff
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 AM

I would spring for a set as well....even if I had the tools to make a set, I lack the talent!

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Oxi! +1 on wanting to lower/forward the bars... Can't wait to see what the good folks here come up with.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Corey! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the bars... I've tried every possible angle of the stock bars... When the grip angle is close to right... they are too close..... I'd like to be much more fdorward and lowre
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 AM

I'd be interested in a set of peg lowering brackets as well!! Let us know!!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 AM

You did it now Corey!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode