Infected with Toxoplasmosis-Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Infected with Toxoplasmosis-Help

http://www.motorcyclenews.com.

You better hope nobody from the EU reads this, but there's a pill that some experts think could 'cure' you of motorcycling.

The new drug *called co-trimoxazole* has been proven ten times more effective than previous remedies against the condition Toxoplasmosis *a bacterial infection Dr Robert Sapolsky of Stanford University says is unusually common in motorcyclists, and which he believes could have contributed to our desire to ride the things in the first place.

Toxoplasma is a parasite scientists have recently observed makes infected rats appear to want to get closer to their chief predator, cats. Infected rodents become sexually attracted to cat urine, and take uncharacteristic risks in the presence of their feline nemesis. The behaviour change is believed to be driven by the infection's desire to be passed up the foodchain.

Dr Sapolsky goes on to say that motorcyclists have a high probability of being infected with Toxoplasmosis, and that infected people are "three to four times more likely to be killed in car accidents involving reckless speeding" *suggesting the condition is key to our appetite for speed and risk.

Sapolsky says: "What is the bottom line on this? Well, it depends; if you want to overcome some of your inhibitions, Toxo might be a very good thing to have in your system.

"You want to know something utterly terrifying? The U.S. Military is interested in Toxo. And I would think they would be intrigued, studying a parasite that makes mammals perhaps do things that everything in their fiber normally tells them not to because it's dangerous and ridiculous and stupid and don't do it."

Worldwide Toxoplasmosis, *which is picked up from cat or rodent faeces and generally goes untreated, is one of humanity's most prevalent infections, but the variances are interesting.

For example, Britain has a Toxoplasma infection rate of 6.6% while in bike-loving France it's 45%. Road deaths are also 68% higher in France than in the UK.

Now I know why I ride and I got a good reason-INFECTED

Are you guys infected too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
...I am, I am....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 AM

I can foresee a time when governments will declare this “infection” a public hazard and as such will make it mandatory that you take your medication...

I hope I’m dead by then!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:42 AM

I think it should be applied to all drinking water.
Is the infection rate any different between men and women?
I'd like to see more women riders.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Toxoplasmosis almost caused my wife to go blind (did lose one eye) and is no cause for levity. If there is a new treatment that is great. Never heard the bit about motorcycles before (she does not care for them, and is very risk averse), of course hers was cured 40+ years ago!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 AM

Well that's it then! I've been trying to explain this motorcycle obsession to myself since I was a kid. I feel better now. I've had it for a few decades, so I think it must be a chronic condition.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:59 AM

That wasn't levity, I was serious, but I had no idea it could cause complications like losing your eye sight, so no offense intended.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Lord, and i always thought it was in the gene pool...But I'm definetly infected

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
Toxoplasmosis almost caused my wife to go blind (did lose one eye) and is no cause for levity. If there is a new treatment that is great. Never heard the bit about motorcycles before (she does not care for them, and is very risk averse), of course hers was cured 40+ years ago!!
JCCTX.

Sorry to hear about your wife and trust that she is in the pink of health now.
Never knew about this before I posted here and to add some light to Toxoplasmosis here is what they say abou it:

What is Toxoplasmosis of the eye and what causes it?
A germ called toxoplasma can cause infection within the eye. This is known as toxoplasmosis of the eye. The infection causes damage to the eye that can lead to visual impairment.

Many animals are infected with this germ, including cats. The germ is found in the faeces of these infected animals. A person can catch an infection if they eat food dirtied by faeces with the toxoplasma germ. Foods that can lead to an infection include some uncooked meats, unpasteurised milk and raw vegetables. The toxoplasma germ does not survive cooking or boiling.

Most adults do not know they have caught an infection. Most adults do not develop any problems from a toxoplasma infection and do not get toxoplasmosis of the eye. In fact most adults in the UK, if tested, have had a toxoplasma infection at some time in their lives but have normal eyes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Fastoman,

I'm certifiable. I also play with them toys,too and

and Best Regards.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
boys and their toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode