Versys Seat (yet again) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys Seat (yet again)

So the question is: Spencer Seat Mod or Baldwin? From what I have read the Corbin is junk just like the Versys Gel Seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 AM

The Corbin is a good seat if you like hard seats! You won't slide forward. The seat pan gives you better support. It has a few mounting issues, that can be easily resolved. With that said, I like the room I have on the Corbin, but the Baldwin seat is much more comfortable on a long ride.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM

The Baldwin is certainly better than stock, and I'm sure Spencer would be as well. In my experience... if you can swing it, get a Russel saddle. The Baldwin is OK, but not great, and I really don't know much about Spencer. If I had to do it all over again, I would just take it to my local guy and let him do it custom for me - It's about the same price as Baldwin.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I can't compare, but my "Spencer mod" seat is comfortable.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:06 PM

I can't compare the two either, but Spencer modified my ST1300 & Versys seat. Both were an improvement over stock.

He might be able to offer a little more customization than an off-the-shelve seat. You can send him a picture of you sitting on the bike, along with the form where he asks about the problems you have with the existing set up.

Things like your height & weight also make a difference so based on what he ask for, I assume he uses his past experience to shape the foam & add necessary support. I had the long distance upgrade put in both of mine.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM

At the end of the day, all of these are great improvements over the stock seat. I still like my Corbin, but it just gets too hard by the end of a long day. I would really like to have it reworked, as it is a much better seat pan. But the damn thing is heavy too.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM

I also had the Spencer mod done to my seat and couldn't be happier. I rode the bike 230 miles home when I bought it and after 45 minutes was in excruciating pain. I stopped four times during that 230 miles. I did 740 miles over Memorial day weekend with the initial stretch on Sat. morning being three straight hours in the saddle. I stopped because it looked like a good time to grab some food and fuel, not because of any discomfort. It may not work for everybody, I'm only 5'8 and a 150 lbs., but for me it's great.

Mike
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM

I think the stock seat's terrific ( oops!!! did I say that out loud????) Do'H!!!!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 06-14-2010 at 03:51 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
I think the stock seat's terrific ...
+1

I think you & I need to get out butts examined. Considering the statistics... there MUST be something wrong with us!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 PM

I've had worse stock seats. Give the stock seat on a GSX-R600 a try. It's all I can do to stay on it for a 20 minute track session.

The stocker is simply too soft. Some medical grade closed cell foam in it would work wonders. An upholstery shop should be able to take care of that for you.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 AM

Seats........

In 40 years of riding I have had Mustang, Sargent, Corbin maybe some other too. These are nice seat BUT !!!! you get a standard seat they think you need.
Russell Day Long seats are made for your body and the way YOU sit on YOUR bike. You send them photos of you sitting on your bike so they see how your bike fits YOU !
I purchased a lowered gel Baldwin and still had a little sore butt problem. Now I have a fat ass and am overweight. Plus I am disabled due to back problems.
I just received a sheepskin cover this week and went for a ride the other day. For $60 it was really great. My 3 hour backroad ride was very comfortable and I am very happy.
IF I change my mind I will get another Russell, they are not the best looking seat but when you sre riding your butt doesn't care............

Cb
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 AM

CB1313.
Where did you get your sheepskin?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 AM

Seat Sheepskin

Alaskaleatheronline.com order the front strap to help keep the front in place. Took about 4 ays to receive after ordering.

Cb
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 AM

Which one did you order? They look like a great idea.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
At the end of the day, all of these are great improvements over the stock seat. I still like my Corbin, but it just gets too hard by the end of a long day. I would really like to have it reworked, as it is a much better seat pan. But the damn thing is heavy too.
But to spend all that money just to have it reworked!!! I'm thinking maybe the spencer seat mod, with sheep skin kicker at this point?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
But to spend all that money just to have it reworked!!! I'm thinking maybe the spencer seat mod, with sheep skin kicker at this point?
I totally agree, but I have a Corbin. I like the seat pan, but it is too damn hard. It would not be the way to go if you didn't already have a Corbin to work with. I would like a Russell, but I just can't get over how it looks on a V.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Red Herring
The website has a link to the model. For the V, the type is Pillion 1.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM

Just got one also, I picked the rally special, cost is less, made a huge diff. in ride comfort!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0892.jpg (1,020.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0893.jpg (898.9 KB, 43 views)

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode