Favorite Motorcycle Road? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Favorite Motorcycle Road?

Whatís Your Favorite Motorcycle Road?
by: MCg

Whatís Your Favorite Motorcycle Road?ROADS ARE THE INTERNATIONAL PLAYGROUND FOR MOTORCYCLE RIDERS. Curvy roads, scenic roads, mountain roads, river roads, ocean roads, desert roads, canyon roads, fast roads, slow roads, paved roads, dirt roads, gravel roads, sand roads, bad roads, high roads, low roadsÖtheyíre all places for motorcycle adventure, amusement, camaraderie, solitude, contemplation, exhilaration, relaxation, and the freedom that is the heart of riding.

Some of the simplest pleasures in life include the sublime enjoyment of riding along scenic, rural roads with the engine pulsing a relaxing note of harmony with the surrounding world and a riderís soul.

My favorite roads include ribbons of asphalt and/or dirt through National Parks in the United States and Canada, as well as byways that head through U.S. National Forests all over this great land, and plenty of lesser known roads that were merely squiggly little lines on various maps throughout North America that summoned my acquaintance.

Of course all the roads that comprise the National Scenic Byway system are at the top of my favorite riding experiences.

Itís very difficult, at least for me, to isolate any one favorite road, but since I tend to visit local roads more regularly than those on the other side of the continent, Iím quite fond to re-visit again and again Pacific coastal roads, including Pacific Coast Highway 1 through the Big Sur region of California, as well as the various California central-coastal region roads that wander through mountains, forests, lakes, rivers, all in addition to the ocean. Having said that, the road that I get to enjoy the most, because it is so close to where I live, is California Route 33: Ongoing Motorbike Marriage, and the network of roads that cross it.

However, Iím more interested in YOUR favorite roads! Add your favorite roads below. (And if I havenít ridden your favorite one yet, Iím going to contemplate it for my future, and I bet others who read this will, too)

Some of the World Best-If you dare.

Lysebotn Road-Norway.

os Caracoles in Andes

Trollstigen in Norway

LehĖManali Highway India.

Stelvio Pass - Italy

Col de Turini-France

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Those are some nice twisties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Those look like some stellar rides, no doubt. Thanks for the pics.
Here is another: Col de Braus Alphs

I will just have to settle for what is in my backyard, for now. No complaints, I love the Ozark mountain area.

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 06-14-2010 at 09:31 AM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 AM

If ever in eastern OK; OK-10 from Tallequah to Toll is excellent. Not tight twisty, lots of 50mph curves along the Illinois river.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 AM

North Cascades Highway/Highway 20 in N. WA. You can start at LaConnor, West of I-5 and go to Idaho, Montana and beyond and most of it is beautiful.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Haven't ridden it since 1963, BUT 299 between Eureka and Redding, CA!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Super pics, thanks. Did you ride all those and take the pics yourself? Norway actually looks scary.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 PM

About 10 minutes from my house I hit Nestucca River Rd which takes me all the way to the beach while following a river. Lots of twists and turns. Even has a couple miles of dirt just to mix it up. Can't count how many times I have had a bike on that road.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Can't compete with those pics !!! But my favorite....in Ohio anyway is RT78 between RT60, and RT13. There are a bunch of good roads in southeastern Ohio, but this one has a variety of turns, and is almost always clean with little, or no traffic......

'15 DL1000
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Anyone ride the Haleakala Hwy in Maui? I have driven it, but never ridden it.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 PM

So far in the CO front range I say Peak to Peak Highway from Golden to Estes park via CO6, CO119, CO72, CO7. A little bit of everything for everyone. In riding the entire San Juan skyway later in the summer. Might change my mind after that.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Favorite roads

This is about as good as it gets in Nebraska

Road is so boring they built "The Arch" in the middle of the state to attract tourism (or maybe it was to see if you were sleeping). I can assure you it's not working for either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arch.jpg (32.9 KB, 144 views)
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Here are some GREAT ones:

Trail of the lonesome pine (Route 70 between Jonesville VA and Rogersville TN

Route 77 between Owingsville KY & Slade KY
Route 715 Slade KY

Route 421 between Manchester KY and Pennington Gap VA

Route 209 between Hot Springs NC and Waynesville NC

Route 763 between Decatur OH and Aberdeen OH
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:44 PM

When I lived in Montana, I loved going through Yellowstone. I grew up close the the park and went through there 100 times. But never really seen Yellowstone until I did so on my first street bike- my old Kawasaki 440 LTD. You can't go fast, but there are nice turns and amazing scenery.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 PM

My top 4.

Hy 31A between New Denver and Kaslo, B.C. This road eats squids regular like.

Hy's 89/49 (the locals call it "going over Looking Glass") between St. Mary and East Glacier Park, Montana. Watch out for horses, free range cattle and grizzly bears.

Hy 12 between Lolo,MT and Lowell, ID. Some of the best high speed sweepers I have found.

Nemo Road near Rapid City, S.D. Just dont ride it anytime near bike week. Too many damn bikers!

I have not done much riding east or south just west and north!
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Super pics, thanks. Did you ride all those and take the pics yourself? Norway actually looks scary.
No Sir! I didn't ride those places and the pictures are part of the 10 best rides in the world. could't download all so only some of the 10 best is here.

The main article is from http://motorcycle-intelligence.com.

The best I can do is in Thailand with 1884 corners an about 640km and is called
Mai Hong Son Loop http://adventurevacationtrip.com/mae...ute-motorcycle.

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 AM

CHEROHALA SKYWAY BABY!!!! Soooo much fun...Bliss actually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cherohala.jpg (145.5 KB, 804 views)

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Haven't ridden it since 1963, BUT 299 between Eureka and Redding, CA!!!
I have to agree haven't had the change to drive it on a bike but just driving down 299 it's a great road. Lived in Redding for 5 years and it has some beautiful views...i should make a trip this month
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:57 AM

Grabbed this from a Google Search on the first road mention in Norway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2007/08/worlds-most-dangerous-roads-part-2.html
This is the Lysebotn Road in Lysefjord, Norway - complete with 27 switchbacks and a 1.1 kilometer long tunnel at the bottom, also with three switchbacks inside.
Time to update my passport!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
One of favourite rides and IMHO would have to rank up on the world stage is Fiordland, New Zealand. Te Anau to Milford Sound, 120km in and 120km back, 240km round trip with no gas station to you return to Te Anau.

The first photo is on the west side of the homer tunnel not to far away from milford sound on the west coast of south island, NZ, the temp at the time was 30 celcius

The 2nd photo is one we took on the way back on the east side of the tunnel and the temp was still at least 25 celcius in the shade around 7pm

My wife posing for camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode