Gas mileage and range - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gas mileage and range

I'm sure it's been done before, but I thought it would be good for us to share experiences with gas mileage and range.

This morning I filled up and got the best mileage/range I've ever had (in 7 months of ownership): I went 281.4 miles and put in 5.1 (!) gallons for a mileage figure of 55 mpg. I figure I still had .1 to .3 gallons left.

I always fill my tank about halfway up the neck. Not recommended, I know, but I also always fill up when I'm on my way off on a ride.

I never fill it that full and then park. To do so would result in the hot engine heating and expanding the gas and overflowing the tank. If I gas and go, I use enough gas from the tank before it has a chance to expand, thus increasing my range.

Note: you should not do this with California bikes with the charcoal canister. Overfilling the tank will fill the canister with gas, not a good thing.

Anybody else?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 06:06 PM

Mine is still breaking in and I am beating it hard. I am also the size of a sasquatch, and I still saw 46mpg when I filled up today. I was blow away considering how hard I was putting the whip to it.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
I'm sure it's been done before, but I thought it would be good for us to share experiences with gas mileage and range.

This morning I filled up and got the best mileage/range I've ever had (in 7 months of ownership): I went 281.4 miles and put in 5.1 (!) gallons for a mileage figure of 55 mpg. I figure I still had .1 to .3 gallons left.

I always fill my tank about halfway up the neck. Not recommended, I know, but I also always fill up when I'm on my way off on a ride.

I never fill it that full and then park. To do so would result in the hot engine heating and expanding the gas and overflowing the tank. If I gas and go, I use enough gas from the tank before it has a chance to expand, thus increasing my range.

Note: you should not do this with California bikes with the charcoal canister. Overfilling the tank will fill the canister with gas, not a good thing.

Anybody else?

Michael
The lowest was 42. The best has been 60. My avg is 50.
The gas mileage on the Versys is good but I miss the 7.7 gal fuel tank of the ST 1300 I used to have.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 06:51 PM

I think mineís run from a low of 44 to a high of 56 and I normally get right around 50 MPG (back roads, no highway, no stop & go traffic).

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM

You can see the last majorly ethanol-poisoned Winter gas on 4/19 and after that I have averaged about 45 mpg. I usually go about 190-220 miles before getting gas.

I have fork lights that are always on, a Large CalSci windshield on a Madstad bracket that is usually almost all the way down, I accelerate rather quickly but ride mostly highway (commute) at 70-75 mph. I weigh 220 lbs and my hair is dark brown.
There, that should be all the information you need to make a comparison to your situation and gas mileage.

Last edited by Pretbek; 06-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM

Dark brown hair versus light brown costs you 1.3 mpg in my estimation.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM

My last tank I traveled 233 miles and I put in 4.5 gallons for 51.7 MPG x 1.07
(for the 43 tooth rear sprocket) for a 55.4 MPG.
I am @ below 1000 ft altitude around central Texas.So I can expect even better in Colorado this summer.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 PM

High altitude will decrease the mileage due to lower oxigen level. That is why here 10% ethanol is used year round. However, you should be able to run on midgrade fuel saving you a couple of pennies per gallom. I live @ 6,000ft and average about 50. Go to about 55 on highway lots of climbing in most of my rides so it's not a good comparison.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:30 PM
DBL

I have a '10 and have seen the MPG vary all over the place. I usually fill up at Walmart (Murphy's) and use Super with 10% ethanol in it and while breaking it in, saw it as low as 38 and as high as 49 which was my best so far. I rode in the R.O.T. parade in Austin, TX this weekend and thought I was running out of gas but it only took 4 gallons and I must have miscalculated or my trip meter messed up because I only figured 33MPG which is way too low. Or maybe someone "borrowed" some of my gas while the bike was parked at R.O.T. but I find it hard to believe someone would do that. I had been riding the SH130 toll road at 75MPH for 40 miles each way for 3 days in a row so maybe it was the wind or something. I will check my MPG with the next fillup and see what's changed. My riding style varies but with 1600 miles on the odometer and the bike broken in now, I have been getting on the throttle just a bit more because it's so much fun and that's even with a 44 rear sprocket. My next farkle will be a tall CalSci windshield and a Givi rack for my trunk so we'll see how that affects my MPG.

Edit: Oops! I just remembered someone mentioned the odometer would be off with a 44 on the rear so I wonder if that is why my MPG was only 33. Does anyone know what the error is? I checked the speedometer with my Tom Tom GPS and it's exactly the same but have not checked the odometer yet.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Beg to differ w/ you Boricua.I consistently show better MPG when going up in altitude.Less air is compensated w/ less fuel and less power.
10 % ethanol is run year round,everwhere,that I'm aware of.. I always run low grade in everthing unless the motor demands a higher grade.

Last edited by inroads; 06-13-2010 at 08:03 PM.
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Garage
I usually get around 48MPG. I ride my bike hard when I can. I weigh 260 so I'm carrying some weight, and have a top box on for some wind resistance.

Many people buy their bikes to "save money". I realize how much this thing is costing me over driving my truck even at 3 x's the mileage.(cost of bike, tires, gear, other stuff I have bought for it) I bought this bike to have fun and don't really care what my mileage is as long as I'm smiling.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Most of my rides go from 6K to 10k averaging 8K ft. I don't pay attatention to fuel effeciency all too much in the V. However, my car's computer tell me over 8K fuel efficiency suffers.

Or it may be the up hill to get there. Where in CO are you planning to ride? I know of a few off the beaten path routes I can share.
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 08:15 PM

Garage
I track my mileage using Fuelly, like Pretbek. I average 42.2 mpg and 143.1 miles per fill up. But I always fill up with one or two bars left, so this number is probably lower then most.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 PM

I've been averaging around 44-46 mph running hard around local twisty roads to small towns 20 to 30 miles away and around town. Planning on my first long trip to Wis. first weekend of July. Will def record my mileage and hope for better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Where in CO are you planning to ride? I know of a few off the beaten path routes I can share.
I am half heartedly planning a scoot out that way to ride the million $ highway south and another east of there back north. been thinking about Pikes Peak and then try to follow the continental divide north to the Glacier Nat. Park area.

What cha got?

Ride em if ya got em!
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM

I ride till I nearly run out, then I ride again until I nearly run out. I measure my rides in terms of enjoyment. It's actually pretty simple.

If you guys are down to the point that you desperately need to get 47 instead of 45 MPG, you better switch to a bicycle or walking. This is another silly anal retentive thread.

V-Zee
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
If you guys are down to the point that you desperately need to get 47 instead of 45 MPG, you better switch to a bicycle or walking. This is another silly anal retentive thread.

V-Zee

I do about 100 miles a day by finding the longest possible way to get to various restaurants & back... when I have a slew of really good places to eat within 5 minutes of my house. IOW, I couldnít care less about how much gas I use while Iím riding in aimless circles to nowhere.

Given that weíre all riding the same bike; comparing relative gas mileage is a pretty good method of analyzing the effect of various modifications, state of tune and potential problems, etc.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how my brother manages 55 mpg on his CBR900RR while I typically only get 50 on the V. He has almost 50% more displacement and nearly 300% more HP.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:36 AM
DBL

Trade bikes with your brother for a week, then compare MPG. It might be your riding style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how my brother manages 55 mpg on his CBR900RR while I typically only get 50 on the V. He has almost 50% more displacement and nearly 300% more HP.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 AM

which 900rr are u talkin about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
regarding the engine?

the 900rr, the 929 or the 954? theyīre all different regarding power and fuelling, so is consumption too..

rgds

nino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode