A New Family Member - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking A New Family Member

Well, couldn't pass up this deal, so I didn't...06 Suzi DRZ400S with 3k miles on it...Wicked fun...Wanna get into dual sporting...No, not gonna sell the V, love the V...But the Suzi is kickass in the dirt and I just gotta get dirty sometime
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheStable.jpg (124.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 06DRZ400.JPG (119.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DRZ400S.JPG (58.3 KB, 66 views)

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Very cool. Enjoy!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM

I got my 2002 DRZ400S in 2003, well before I got the V. I actually prefer dirt and trails to street, but around here there's no legal dirt at all. (But there is some stealth dirt riding.)

My wife doesn't like me off roading alone, so I got the V so I could ride street alone. I guess she figures that if I wreck on the street sooner or later someone will find me.

Those tires look like the stock Bridgestone Deathwings (Trailwings). They're a fine street tire, but off road they are killers. If you're going to ride more than gravel roads replace them ASAP. I thought the Deathwing rumors were just that, rumors. I wrecked twice the first day of dirt riding. No damage to the bike, but I did twist a leg and arm enough that I hurt a few days. I had new tires within a week. They don't have to be full knobbies. I first got Maxxis 6006 tires, marginal dirt tires, but still 10 times better than the Deathwings. They were also decent street tires but noisy. I now have Michelin AC10s, good dirt but marginal street. No surprise there. They are full blown knobbies.

You need to add some armor. A skid plate and glue on case guards for the clutch and alternator covers. (The Suzuki clutch and alternator covers are a easy to puncture magnesium.) I have a White Brothers aluminum skid plate, but today there's a Hyde Racing polymer skid plate I'd get instead. Glue on case guards from the ThumperTalk store. I also run Cycra bark busters because I like my knuckles.

Theres an active DRZ400 specific forum at ThumperTalk.

Last edited by steven1955; 06-13-2010 at 04:32 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Well, couldn't pass up this deal, so I didn't...
Didn't know Starbucks was selling bikes now?? Probably the reason you got such a great deal... Congrats.. Looks like fun! I was considering a thumper but I ride strictly on pavement.. Glad I bought the V instead. Looks like you have the best of both worlds.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:37 PM

I'm on my second DRZ and it is for sale. Love it, hate it, back and forth. Great reliablility but they really need a few extra HP and a 6th gear.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 PM

I have 2 DRZ's. 2007 SM & 2008 S. Great bikes that take me anywhere I want to go and quickly.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all... Steven1955, did get some Moose racing hand guards and will get the side covers and skid plate...Didn't know about the "Deathwings" I'll dump those before I hit the dirt...Tkx for the heads up

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode