Givi stuff - a bit confusing - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi stuff - a bit confusing

Selection from the several Givi rack/mounts is a bit confusing. Which mount are you supposed to put on if you are only installing a top box for now but will buy side luggage in the future?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 AM

Having done this, there are a number of combinations.

Top Box : FZ447 (Kappa KZ447). This can be installed on it's own.

For the side racks, there are two choices
PL447 (Kappa KL447): these are to use the standard Monokey sidecases.
PLX447 (Kappa KLX447): these are to use the V35 sidecases.

You will not need the PLX447K adapter kit, as this provides the linkage under the passenger rails for the side racks. This is provided by the FZ447.

You can check the Canadian GIVI side (www.givi.ca), and it has a configuration utility under "For your motorcycle".

In my case, I bought the top rack last year a week after I purchased the bike to use the Kappa K35 top box I kept from my KLR.

It was nice, but there were times I could have used waterproof, lockable side cases, so I purchased a V35 set used over the winter and installed them this past spring.

Just the racks:

Loaded up:

Note 1: if you have the option to buy Kappa hardware, it is interchangeable with any/all of the Givi hardware. I have a KL447 rack for the top case, and a PLX447 side rack for my V35 bags.

Note 2: The OEM side racks from Kawasaki will NOT work with the Givi top rack. I have one sitting on the floor of my garage (I bought the bags used, and it came with them), and I couldn't make it work. Spent the $$$ for the PLX447 kit, and it went together easily.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

Note 2: The OEM side racks from Kawasaki will NOT work with the Givi top rack. I have one sitting on the floor of my garage (I bought the bags used, and it came with them), and I couldn't make it work. Spent the $$$ for the PLX447 kit, and it went together easily.
... Really? I thought the OEM setup was simply the PLX hardware with Versys badging. Did they make it incompatible on purpose?

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
... Really? I thought the OEM setup was simply the PLX hardware with Versys badging. Did they make it incompatible on purpose?
Probably. This is the same company which made the OEM top rack (made by SW Motech) incompatible with the side racks (modified Givi PLX). Seems they really don't want people to have both a top case and side cases. Oh well.

The bags themselves are the Givi V35's with Versys badging. The racks, however, are not. The OEM racks have integrated passenger grab rails.

The PLX447 does not replace the hand rails, but has mounting hardware that fits underneath the rails. The FZ447/KZ447 use the same mounting hardware to support the side rails for the top rack.

Now, there are folks on the UK Versys forum that stated that they could get the OEM side rack to fit with the Givi top rack...it was a royal p-i-t-a, but it could be done. Despite my best efforts, I could not get the mounting hardware for the KZ447 rack to fit around the replacement rails. I replaced the OEM rack with the PLX447, and it all fit together quite nicely.

Just my experience,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM

I just looked into this.... how much modding would the stock gear take to make work? I want side cases but do not want to drop 700+ on the Givi stuff. Sigh...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:45 PM

None of it comes stock. When I looked at it at the dealership, the OEM racks were about the same price as the PLX447 racks. In my case, I bought the bags used, and the guy was selling both the bags and the rack as a set for around the same price as the bags themselves cost new.

If you already have the top rack (SW-Motech or GIVI), then get a compatible side rack. If not, don't get the OEM side rack if you think you will want a top box later on.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 05:37 PM

I managed to get the OEM bag racks and the PLX 447 to mount up. As stated it is quite a struggle. I had to use slightly under sized bolts (quarter inch) to tie the rear support adapters together. That gave me just enough "slack" to assemble everything loosely, then pull it all together with the bolts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
I managed to get the OEM bag racks and the PLX 447 to mount up. As stated it is quite a struggle. I had to use slightly under sized bolts (quarter inch) to tie the rear support adapters together. That gave me just enough "slack" to assemble everything loosely, then pull it all together with the bolts.
I stand corrected. Looks like it's possible, but if you're buying all of the racks anyways, you might as well get stuff that works well together from the outset. It would only make sense to try it if you already had the OEM side racks and wanted to add a top rack.

Just my $0.02,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM

Fwiw...

...I think the OEM (SW-Motech) top rack is far superior to the Givi top rack set-up. It will bolt right up with any of the "regular" Givi side rack set-ups.

Also, the OEM side case mounts ("modified" Givis) can be used with the OEM top rack, you just have to cut the grab handles off and grind the tabs smooth. I have this set-up because I got a really good deal on the OEM side racks and cases, and I think the mounting tabs on the OEM side racks are more robust than on the PLX447s.

However, if you don't want to use V35 style luggage, then the OEM side case racks (modified PLX447s) are useless to you, unless you want to do some additional modding.

The incompatibility between the OEM top rack and sideracks was purposeful to prevent "overloading" of the bike and thus minimize Kawi's exposure to potential litigation, for that reason. The hard bags themselve, however, are identical, except for the center badge.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:37 AM

As mentioned in the first reply, if you can get KAPPA it is exactly the same stuff but cheaper...thatīs what I did and saved probably around 300 euros on getting topbox and sidecases plus appropriate racks.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM

So, the Kawasaki side bags are just re-badged Givi V35 cases? So then the color trim panels from Kawasaki will fit on the Givi V35 bags?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz2012 View Post
Selection from the several Givi rack/mounts is a bit confusing. Which mount are you supposed to put on if you are only installing a top box for now but will buy side luggage in the future?

I have the Givi top box rack plus the adapter kit they sell for monolock. In hind sight I would have purchased an SW-Motec or other aluminium rack that replaces the rear grab handles. There is a guy on this site that makes his own design and sells to forum members also.

This is because the rear grab handles are steel and surprisingly heavy on their own. The Givi rack is the only design that does not replace the grab handles. The Givi rack is also very heavy and made of steel. An aluminium rack that replaces the rear grab handles would save a lot of weight.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 PM

Actually, when I got the Givi rack for the top box for my 2011 V, it came with a set of rear handles which to the naked eye, there is no difference. The difference is that the Givi handle bars has a mounting piece designed to fit the PLXR or PLR side case rack. The stock ornamental covering is reused on the Givi handle bars, which is why we won't notice the difference. The dealer returned me the stock set of handle bars, which surprised me.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 AM

datawiz2012, if your V is a 2010 or later model you decide to go with Givi racks you will need a 451FZ top case rack.

If you decide to ad side racks they are PLR450.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
So, the Kawasaki side bags are just re-badged Givi V35 cases? So then the color trim panels from Kawasaki will fit on the Givi V35 bags?
They are rebadged V35s. I got the cheap default finish V35s on sale and ordered the Kawasaki trim panels from my local dealer. Cover swapping was uneventful, just deal with a few screws.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednukey View Post
...I think the OEM (SW-Motech) top rack is far superior to the Givi top rack set-up. It will bolt right up with any of the "regular" Givi side rack set-ups.

Also, the OEM side case mounts ("modified" Givis) can be used with the OEM top rack, you just have to cut the grab handles off and grind the tabs smooth. I have this set-up because I got a really good deal on the OEM side racks and cases, and I think the mounting tabs on the OEM side racks are more robust than on the PLX447s.

However, if you don't want to use V35 style luggage, then the OEM side case racks (modified PLX447s) are useless to you, unless you want to do some additional modding.

The incompatibility between the OEM top rack and sideracks was purposeful to prevent "overloading" of the bike and thus minimize Kawi's exposure to potential litigation, for that reason. The hard bags themselve, however, are identical, except for the center badge.
This is not correct for the 2007 - 2008 Versys. You can install the FZ477 with the OEM racks. Kawasaki made the OEM side rack incompatible with their OEM top rack. I believe both OEM racks are custom build by SW Motech.

To install the GIVI FZ477 top rack with the OEM side racks You have to present both racks to the mounting points under the seat keeping everything lose. Undo the crossmember that keep the bottom rear of the oem side racks together. Then tighten up the mount points under the seat. With a little flexing you will be able to put the crossmember back together.

Takes a little finese and patience but it works without cutting, welding or using a hammer.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the encouraging news. KZ 477 with OEM side rack will work correct? Do you know if there are any changes with the 2009? What else do I need to order to get a "reasonable" sized top case? What brand /size?

You seem to be the most knowledgable and helpful.

Thanks KNOB
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Well THAT's clear as MUD!

I have the SW Motech V mounts and wanted a top rack and box ONLY to have a place to store my helmet. I know they say you can use one or the other just not both at the same time. True or a insuracne thing?

I found with the SW Motech brackets I can't pop the key in to get the seat off without pull the left box off.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Well THAT's clear as MUD!

I have the SW Motech V mounts and wanted a top rack and box ONLY to have a place to store my helmet. I know they say you can use one or the other just not both at the same time. True or a insuracne thing?

I found with the SW Motech brackets I can't pop the key in to get the seat off without pull the left box off.

Ive got SWMotech side mounts and top mount on my 09. They fit just fine. Youve got to mess with the spacers under the seat a little to get them to tighten down good but the brackets themselves fit fine together.

EDIT: I just noticed that you have a 2012 so my info about an 09 may not apply.

Last edited by ray h; 05-28-2012 at 09:58 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 PM

There's a mix of information in this thread...some applies to the 2007-2009 model, and some applies to the 2010+ model.

Coles Notes based on what I understand:

Kawasaki doesn't seem to want riders to have both a top case and side cases, possibly for liability reasons. That said, there is a demand for it, as there are lots of threads on the topic.

2007-2009

• OEM top rack does not fit with the OEM side rack as delivered. To make it work, you have to cut the passenger grab rails off of the side rack.
  • Parts from Givi (FZ447 top rack / PLX447 side rack (V35) or PL447 (other)) work together fine. You will also need a top plate (M5 Monokey or M5M Monolock) for the FZ447. Kappa parts can be substituted.
  • Parts from SW-Motech work fine (sorry, I don't have the part #'s handy).
  • OEM top rack works fine with SW-Motech side racks.
  • OEM side rack will work with Givi top rack, but it has to be put together loosely and in a specific order. You also need more patience than I have.
2010+
  • OEM top rack does not fit with the OEM side rack as delivered. I have no idea how to make it work.
  • Parts from Givi (FZ451 top rack / PLXR450 side rack (V35) or PLR450 (other) side rack) should work fine. You will also need a top plate (M5 Monokey or M5M Monolock) for the FZ451. Kappa parts can be substituted. Givi.ca lists these combos for the 2010 and 2011 models. I have no idea if it works with the 2012, but I would assume so.
  • SW-Motech parts supposedly will not work together (see note below).
Note: According to a post from bicyclist in this thread, the SW-Motech top and side racks will work together, despite contrary information from SW-Motech / Twisted Throttle. That said, I have a 2008, and have no first hand knowledge. If you want to know more, the best bet would be to PM bicyclist to see what racks they used to make it work.

I think that summarizes it. If I've screwed anything up, I'm sure someone knowledgeable will correct me.

The only thing I have first-hand knowledge about is from my installs on a 2008 Versys:
  • Trying to get the FZ447 rack to fit with the OEM side rack was a rage-inducing experience.
  • FZ447 / PLX447 combo works fine on the same bike.
Cheers,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode