Multistrada 1200 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Multistrada 1200

Today I rode a missile. I took the 2010 Multistrada 1200 for a test ride. JESUS CHRIST! You twist the throttle and have a half a million horse power at your command. I'm no stranger to liter bikes. Tracked a cbr1000,owned ktm 950, and FJR1300. I have also rode many many gs's and RT.
They all pale in comparison.This thing goes like **** off a shovel. It will wheel going down the rode at 60, and break the rear wheel loose on dry hot asphalt.

Incredible bike!

Last edited by flienlow; 06-12-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 AM

I'm surprised they let you demo a $20k bike. I want one!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I suppose you would have to sign somthing like if you break it you buy it

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 AM

I wanted one was going to sell the harley bmw yami and get one instead i kept the harley got rid of the rest and bought a 2010 yellow V
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:09 AM

A friend of mine has a deposit on one. Waiting for it to come over on the slow boat. Can't wait to take it for a spin.

He's out nearly $20,000 for that bike. I paid cash for my Versys, and he's the one who'll be waiting at the end of every road on me. LOL!

The longer it takes you to get to the end of the road, the longer you get to ride.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Im not disapointed with the V
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Serious, for a 6k bike and if you even put 4k into it youd still have a better setup than a 20k bike
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
Serious, for a 6k bike and if you even put 4k into it youd still have a better setup than a 20k bike
NO you Wouldnt!
You would have $10,000 into a $5000 used bike. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a v owner, when I rode my V home from test riding the Multi it goes down the rode very much like the Duc. The Duc buffets in the wind because it's light like the Versys. But when it comes to power,suspension, braking,and seat comfort the Duc SLAUGHTERS the Versys. -you get what you pay for.

I do like the V, and for anyone reading this post, if money isnt an issue there are better bikes out there. If I can get this seat figured out, I will still be happy with the Versys.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM

yeah i read all about the multi 1200 in june/july issue of ultimate motorcyclig...
that things is an incredible beast.
did you by chance get to play with the on the fly electonically controlled engine and suspension mapping?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
Today I rode a missile. I took the 2010 Multistrada 1200 for a test ride. JESUS CHRIST! You twist the throttle and have a half a million horse power at your command.
I have to agree 100%. Test rode one the other day as well. Absolutely amazing machine. That's what I'd get in a heartbeat if I had money to throw around
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:46 PM

Just the fact that you compare the V, a 650, for 6k, with a 20,000 bike with almost double the engine capacity is a testament to the V. For 20k you better take off like a missle, it better do a whole lot better for > 3x the price. Not taking anything from the Duc - but bike per dollar I will take the V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:54 PM

You could buy a V for the cost to repair a parking lot tip over on the Duc. After checking on the cost of repair parts and as much as I liked the Multi I figured no way.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
yeah i read all about the multi 1200 in june/july issue of ultimate motorcyclig...
that things is an incredible beast.
did you by chance get to play with the on the fly electonically controlled engine and suspension mapping?
Why yes I did. Very intuitive, works great.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa714 View Post
Just the fact that you compare the V, a 650, for 6k, with a 20,000 bike with almost double the engine capacity is a testament to the V. For 20k you better take off like a missle, it better do a whole lot better for > 3x the price. Not taking anything from the Duc - but bike per dollar I will take the V
I completely agree. the 20k is a huge road-block for me. Not to mention the cost of tickets and tires!
If I gear the V lower, I imagine I could get more of that punchy feel and that is fine by me. I don't need a 400 payment sitting the garage right now. The big issue with the duc is that it doesn't go down the freeway like a GS. It would be awesome in the twisties, but for 20k, I would need it more GS like on the Freeway.

Any, if they were offering free rides on a super-model, wouldn't you take a spin? I couldn't resist!

Now what to do about this Damn Versys seat?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 PM

Here is a link to the Corbin thread, there are lots of posts on this forum with every imaginable solution, just start researching. Myself, raised the seat in the front with extra washers under the latch. That solved the sliding forward into the tank problem I was having. After 12,500 miles, I am happy with the stock seat, maybe it has broken in or something. I wouldn't like the Corbin because it is contoured and looks like it would be hard to move around on. I don't stay in one riding position for too long. Thats just the way I ride, if you want a comfy seat, it has been lauded by most as that.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=seat+mod

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM

You do indeed get what you pay for. The Ducati is an awesome bike.

I lost my last bike to the flooding here in Nashville, and while I would have loved to have had a similar bike, it cost me about $10,600 when I bought it. I don't have that in the budget with the flood repairs and such. I've been saddled with a disaster recovery loan payment which eats up my moto funds (toys have to go first).

I bought a left over 2009 Versys, and I am shocked at how good a bike it is. I was expecting it to have some compromises, and it does. But they are all very livable. The seat is too soft, but a quick trip to the upholstery shop so they can remove the cover, carve out some of that squishy soft foam, and put in some nice medical grade closed cell foam, then sew her up...and that will be fixed.

I put that little bike through the ringer today. Tossed it down every twisty I could find and kept the throttle pinned and the engine on the boil. It performed with plenty of zing, just have to keep shifting the little bugger so you don't get caught in the wrong gear. When I filled it up, I calculated 46mpg. Holy Christmas....46mpg?!? Really? My last bike would only get about 35 if I BABIED it. If I wailed on it, it would turn in about 32mpg.

So far, I'm really impressed with the V.

Back when I owned my Ducati, the major service ran about $1000. Parts were ungodly expensive too. It's not just the price of admission you have to figure, it's the operating cost too. If I had the funds, I'd be on a bigger, faster bike, but sometimes things happen for a reason. Probably saved my life buying the V. I used to ride my old bike entirely too fast. It was barely breathing at 125mph and would get there so fast you never knew how fast you were going. The V is just as much fun, but at much more sane speeds. My old bike was hard to ride slow, the V is a breeze. I can putt-putt around at 25 or 30mph behind some slow poke and it's easy as can be.

Last edited by Trackrider54; 06-13-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode