We all make sacrifices to ride... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We all make sacrifices to ride...

I'm 5 weeks in to my motorcycling experience and I can't describe how much I love it! I'm almost 31 and had never ridden a bike before 5 weeks ago.

Driving 4 wheels to work everyday does accustom you to certain "perks" though, which I have now discovered I must go without on my morning commutes. For me, the biggest thing I miss about riding is...

...morning coffee and the Starbucks drive through

Anyone have a fix for that??? (Besides the cup holder my dad has on his Goldwing )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 AM

pop a no-doz before suiting up, or maybe just twist the throttle a lot harder on your commute...or give up coffee and donate the proceeds to the SPCA. Glad you're loving your moto
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM

If riding the V isn't keeping you awake you need more than coffee.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM

i don't drink coffee, so i can't relate. but what if you rode up to the drive thru and handed them a thermos? have your money ready when you leave the house, stuff the thermos in your tankbag and twist.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
i don't drink coffee, so i can't relate. but what if you rode up to the drive thru and handed them a thermos? have your money ready when you leave the house, stuff the thermos in your tankbag and twist.
That ain't a bad idea! I just have to find one that is completely leak proof.

Oh, and no problems staying awake here...it's more the caffeine addiction. So I guess you could say, the V is helping me kick it!

Besides, I'd take riding the V over coffee any day of the week
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
and twist.

I don't miss the radio or cold soda like I initially thought I might....

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 12:40 PM

White chocolate mocha on each side.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Get a Stanley Stainless Steel Thermos. These bungee easily on to the bike and do not leak.

In undergrad and then grad school one of these rode on the back of the MTB to and from campus every day, often multiple times a day. They don't lose much heat even in cold temps.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Get up fifteen minutes earlier, Get your Starbucks at the table inside, and read a paper. Then you can either:
Watch the hurried souls rushing thru the drive thru, or
Watch them look longingly at the Versys parked out front.

Trust me, it's a great way to enjoy your morning, clear you head and reduce your stress.

My Album:
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Get up fifteen minutes earlier, Get your Starbucks at the table inside, and read a paper. Then you can either:
Watch the hurried souls rushing thru the drive thru, or
Watch them look longingly at the Versys parked out front.

Trust me, it's a great way to enjoy your morning, clear you head and reduce your stress.
+1
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 AM

+1 on the Thermos idea. In my office, nobody drinks coffee, and like you, I am an addict. Only way for me to fix that was with a Thermos or to try drinking Starbucks Via. Via isn't bad, but it is a bit pricey. So, in the morning I fire up my coffee maker, brew my java exactly the way I like it, and take it to work. That way I can start my day with the perfect cup of joe.

I like the idea of drinking my coffee at Starbucks, but don't really have any extra time in the morning to do that.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
The good thing about riding bikes and loving good coffee is that wifey and myself love stopping our bikes and have a coffee on a road trip, then get back on the iron horse and ride into the sunset fully charged
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM

Guess I am the only one who thinks Starbuck$ coffee is awful, not to mention overpriced! :>(-
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Hardly the only one. Starbucks is a "coffee of near last resort" for me right above truck stop and 7-11 coffee. I like strong coffee but Starbucks has a tendency to be over-roasted to the point of being nearly burned. They are big into the bitter factor I guess. Starbucks used to be great and it was the only coffee available on campus for over 10 years. Now there are choices and I am much happier.

There is a regional roaster with a MUCH better product at half the cost. That is what I drink. I have a large (48 oz) insulated french press that makes enough coffee for a cup at home and a large travel mug for the road each for the wife and I. Perfect.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM

I grew up around coffee. My family owned a small coffee plantation in the western mountains of Puerto Rico. I believe that the only premium thing about starbucks coffee is the price. I do not understand why people spend time in line at the drive through for something they can get at home for a fraction of the price. What makes starbucks a premium brand is the experience and you do not get that at the drive through.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

So many differing opinions on coffee! It's not just coffee I miss though. I noticed this last week I had several times where I ate out and rather than refill my drink on the way out, I had to toss it.

I like the thermos idea personally. I just installed my Givi topcase and if I can find one that stays completely sealed all the time, I might just go that route.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
Guess I am the only one who thinks Starbuck$ coffee is awful, not to mention overpriced! :>(-
Nope. I hate the stuff. Tim Hortons or the Second Cup for me...

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
Coffee fraud !!!!!!
Their coffee tastes 'burnt' cuz they buy the cheapest beans available. That's why they specialize in doctored fru-fru coffees...that's how coffee brokers get rid of the poor quality beans). I believe they own "Seattle's best" too...also burnt beans.
Just try a cup of plain coffee....it's the worst on the planet...IMHO.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 07:11 PM

The burnt taste comes from the roast not from cheap beans. The type of bean determine acidity, nuttiness, creameaness and all the other charateristics including bitterness, yes, coffee is supposed to be bitter, caffeine makes coffee bitter. Different types of coffee have a higher caffeine content than others. Going on a tangent here the forum is supposed to be about motorcycles. Not sure I want to put a non sealed liquid container in my tank bag or top case. I have a good thermos bottle that keep things hot for a long time and have a very good seal. However more than once I failedto close it well and ended up with no coffee and a wet bag. I stop walk in and drink my coffee.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 07:15 PM

The only thing I miss is my car boston acoustics stereo and the 6 disk dvd/mp3 player. I have not found a stereo helmet headset or set of earbuds I like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode